Home Main Category General Firearms

Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Replies

• CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    All of my rifle are the "blinged out shiny ones" except for the 30-378 and they are all the deluxe except for the .460 which is ultramark custom and the 30-378 is a composite and mate finish. I also own weatherby vanguard 30-06 which is a deluxe in 30-06. I'm actually thinking about putting that action in a bell and carlson stock, adding a mil/mil style scope and giving it a paint job for a long range brush beater of a rifle. At least good enough for 600 yard shot and i wont mind if it gets beaten a little since it was a cheap(and durable) gun
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,484 Senior Member
    When I was younger I though that Weatherby was at the top of the food chain. That changed when I began to learn what makes a rifle consistently accurate.
    The 30-378 Weatherby that I have been doing load development on has not endeared me to Weatherby. For a cartridge that begs for LR to be put in a package where the barrel begins to walk on you after more than 3 shots is not pleasing to me. There is either stress in the barrel or it is thin enough it is going to move anyway. I lean toward the first, given that I have shot lightweight barrels without this much of a problem. For LR hunting there needs to be enough shooting to get used to things and to confirm drops.
    I can manage the recoil part (Think the Weatherby brake sucks though:down:). Trigger was not good either from the factory. After trigger work by a gunsmith it is good, but when you spend that much money for something you should get quality through and through.
    Still need to chrono the load and confirm drops before I take it back to its owner.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    When I was younger I though that Weatherby was at the top of the food chain. That changed when I began to learn what makes a rifle consistently accurate.
    The 30-378 Weatherby that I have been doing load development on has not endeared me to Weatherby. For a cartridge that begs for LR to be put in a package where the barrel begins to walk on you after more than 3 shots is not pleasing to me. There is either stress in the barrel or it is thin enough it is going to move anyway. I lean toward the first, given that I have shot lightweight barrels without this much of a problem. For LR hunting there needs to be enough shooting to get used to things and to confirm drops.
    I can manage the recoil part (Think the Weatherby brake sucks though:down:). Trigger was not good either from the factory. After trigger work by a gunsmith it is good, but when you spend that much money for something you should get quality through and through.
    Still need to chrono the load and confirm drops before I take it back to its owner.

Ernie, that barrel with that particular cartridge would in my opinion whip like a wet noodle. I like my 300 Weatherby fine and I'm thinking the 30-378 is just a bit too overbore for accuracy past a couple of shots. I guess it would work for a couple of shots at that target of a lifetime at 500+yards, but I don't think it will ever be much good with that pencil barrel much over 2-3 shots. Even my regular 300 gets squirrely after 4-5 shots. It's ok for a hunter, but any kind of target work renders it useless with the factory Mark V barrel. If you want an accurate Weatherby, have a good barrel made by one of the better barrel makers put on it, but order at least a heavy sporter, if not a varmint contour.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,447 Senior Member
    Oh, ^This^ is gonna be good!!! Another sacred cow killed.

While you're at it, I'll have a plate. Thanks. ;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member

The cartridge you are working with is a hard one to work with on accuracy. Of all the Weatherby's I owned and now own, that was the toughest to get to shoot. I changed the bedding and then it began to hum and I mean hum, but it was not my favorite Weatherby cartridge. I like in this order the Weatherby cartridges. 340Wby, 375Wby 416Wby, 270Wby, 300Wby, 257Wby, 7mmWby, 240Wby and the cartridges I don't like are any of the 378Wby cartridges. I have never owned the 460Wby or loaded for it so can't comment on it.

Today there is no make of rifle I consider at the top of the food chain of rifle or cartridge, just a lot of good stuff out there today as apposed to when I first started with rifles, shooting, reloading and hunting. Yes, a lot of good stuff out there to have fun with and have confidence in and it is hyocritical for those who have never messed with a rifle or cartridge to draw definitive conclusions about a rifle brand or cartridge, without having something to do with them, just because they have an opinion that is borrowed from some friend, family member or gun writer. I don't want to hear the statistics, the opinions or the notions of the uninformed who only spit out what they read or heard. I like certain products of Weatherby, Vanguard, Browning, Winchester, Remington, Savage, Sako, Tikka, Nosler, Cooper not to mention some customs i had built just to mention some I have owned and loaded for. Yes, as I said, there is a lot of good stuff out there to have fun with. Ernie, these ending comments are not in reference to you, I was in agreement with you on the 30-378 because I had experienced some of what you have with the cartridge.
    If I "an accurate Weatherby, have a good barrel made by one of the better barrel makers put on it"?
    I guess that is my point:wink:
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    If you want an accurate Weatherby, have a good barrel made by one of the better barrel makers put on it, but order at least a heavy sporter, if not a varmint contour.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Maybe it takes away the romance of certain brands, but I want consistent performance.
    I'm sure as mentioned by others they have good experiences and I do not doubt those reports.
    They are classy looking rifles for sure.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I have no clue whose barrel they use.
    It is shooting sub MOA for a 3-shot group off a bi-pod.
    Owner of the rifle intends to use it beyond 700 yards.
    I am not encouraging that until he is able to prove himself consistently on steel at that distance and beyond his set max distance.
    I have no doubt the 180 AB's are smoking down range.
    Most people I know are not patient enough to do the practice that they need to do with a rifle that needs to cool after every 3-shots.
    It takes practice, to get good at distance and that means rounds down range.
    Some people will think that their laser speed rifle means they can rely on it over practice.
    If it was only 400-500 yards, no big deal with good form, but the further you get out there, the more the gremlins come out to play:devil:
    3300 (guesstimate MV) he is going to have over 14" at 500 with a 10 mph FV and at 700 yards he has 30" of drift.
    When you get past mid-range hunting 400-600 yards and into LR hunting things change.
    And one could make a good case that the owner bought this rifle thinking it is the ideal LR hunting rifle, but Weatherby never intended for it to be used this way.
    So, Weatherby is not at fault here.
    Simply a case of false expectations and impatience of the purchaser and the guy doing load development.
    IMO-Guys who consistently hunt and shoot LR do not choose Weatherby factory rifle and shoot it as is.
    Sucky trigger and a full profile muzzle brake for distance shooting and practice? Seriously???:confused:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I have no clue whose barrel they use.

Krieger Barrels
    Here is the reality. New guy who wants to get into LR hunting, and has funds to spend.
    Weatherby is going to be one of those names that are going to come to mind for high velocity therefore, perfect for LR hunting. Point in case, he also bought a twin 33-378 as well.
    I seriously doubt Weatherby is in business of suggesting, "Oh no, our rifles are not made for hitting game at distance! We would never want anyone to draw that conclusion."
    A #2 taper is pretty light.
    Even their TRR series only has a #3 taper and they describe that rifle as: "Provides tactical accuracy at extended ranges."
    Their accuracy promise is: "All Weatherby® Mark V® rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 1 1/2" OR BETTER 3-shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when used with premium (non-Weatherby® calibers) or Weatherby® factory ammunition."
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    As usual you make a lot of sense and a big truckload of very good points. I agree, wrong rifle for the stated purpose. If I was looking to get good enough for 700 yard+ hunting I would never buy a Weatherby.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The guy is a good shooter. I just don't think there was an understanding of what is better for LR hunting and field shooting.
    Many people look at a brand name, cartridge and barrel length and assumes that settles it.
    All that said, I am not anti-Weatherby.
    For hunting at distance though I don't believe it is one of the best choices.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Weatherby" sort of has the same snob appeal as "Cadillac" once did for the country music stars of the late 1940's and early 1950's. Some of them could barely read, but they knew that a Caddy was one of the trappings of success. I had an opportunity to interact with a VERY wealthy northeastern financier who was in Tennessee to buy some hunt-trained horses for a plantation-style quail-hunting preserve he was helping to finance. He showed up with an obscenely expensive mahogany-cased, engraved, over/under shotgun from a custom gunmaker in Europe, and didn't have enough common sense to realize he had to remove the forend before trying to fit the barrels to the receiver! If he was planning to attend a big game hunt instead of a shotgun event, I'll bet he would choose a Weatherby rifle, don't ya think?
    Jerry
    A gun obviously has a good reputation if it is considered "the best" and reputations are earned
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Roy Weatherby was an entrepreneur, and a promoter on the scale of P.T. Barnum. He designed a very good rifle, but its main advantage was Weatherby's relentless campaign to promote its use by the rich and famous. He established a big-game trophy that was awarded to high-end users of his rifles with an unprecedented degree of pomp and circumstance. The scheme worked, obviously! Look at some of the people Weatherby is rubbing elbows with:

http://www.weatherby.dk/showthread.php?6064-The-Weatherby-Big-Game-Trophy-Award

One of the people in that article is the future Shah of Iran- - - -an international playboy who loved the high life! He collected prime-quality cars, boats, guns, and women!
    Jerry
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    The guy is a good shooter. I just don't think there was an understanding of what is better for LR hunting and field shooting.
    Many people look at a brand name, cartridge and barrel length and assumes that settles it.
    All that said, I am not anti-Weatherby.
    For hunting at distance though I don't believe it is one of the best choices.

I would agree. What has to be considered is that when you start shooting past 500Yds, you should be looking for a rifle that offers precision shooting at long distances as a primary objective, and is of a caliber that can kill the game you'd like to hunt. NOT a great hunting rifle and caliber as a primary objective, that can also shoot long distances. Weatherby has a great hunting rifle in a good variety of calibers and at a style that appeals to many and doesn't appeal to quite a few. That doesn't make it a precision long distance shooter. (I own and have owned a number of Weatherby's)

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    Weatherby does have a few long range style gus. For example ther range certified, accumark, and the trr line are 1/2 moa guarunteed with factory ammo and make great LR rifles. I wouldnt hessitate on taking a deer at 800 yards with a weatherby. People say the groups widen past three shots but if you cant hit the animal on the first shot the majority of the time you shouldnt be hunting, alone long range hunting in the frst place. One shot one kill. thats why you sight them in cold bore.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Guess Ernie must not know much about shooting at long rang range, eh?
    Im sure Ernie knows a lot and a lot more then i do but all i was saying is that i think weatherby makes a good rifle. I dont see here how im at all contradicting him on my cold bore comment. i will admit that the weatherby is bad for applications that require multiple shots. they do loose accuracy. I am only saying that the action is good and the light barrel is perfectly fine for one or two shot LR hunting aapplications
    If I "an accurate Weatherby, have a good barrel made by one of the better barrel makers put on it"?
    I guess that is my point:wink:

What I was getting at, and the only point I was trying to make( I shouldn't have emphasized "Have a GOOD barrel made by one of the better barrel makers") was to get a good barrel, not that the Weatherby barrel wasn't good but make sure what your replace it with is as good or better, with enough mass to withstand the heat and not whip so badly. That's all I meant by that. I wasn't saying the Weatherby barrel is a piece of crap, it's just too thin for such a cartridge and sustained shooting in my opinion.
    [QUOTE=Teach;http://www.weatherby.dk/showthread.php?6064-The-Weatherby-Big-Game-Trophy-Award

One of the people in that article is the future Shah of Iran- - - -an international playboy who loved the high life! He collected prime-quality cars, boats, guns, and women!
    Jerry[/QUOTE]

Damn, I always knew there was something about the Shah I loved! He was definitely "My Kind of Man!" :roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Just forget the name, "Weatherby" for a minute. I haven't said Weatherby does not make a good rifle.
    I am saying, that if the norm is like what I have been shooting, I would never recommend one for LR shooting or hunting.
    You may hate the cable LR hunting shows, but just check out the barrel contours.
    Any rifle (Any brand) that has a pencil barrel or in other words a gun that is going to start walking shots after 3-4 rounds is not going to be a good LR rig-End of story.
    Not saying it can't or won't work.
    Of course, a shorter barrel with a light contour is going to be more stiff than the same contour that is longer.
    There are reasons why rifles that are used by snipers have heavy barrels.
    There are reasons why you won't see skinny barrel on LR benchrest rigs or in LR tactical matches or LR field matches.
    The other thing about Weatherby that I have not mentioned is the stupid freebore-OK I got that out of my system:wink: You won't see that either in any LR rifle either.
    My comments have not been toward Weatherby only if you are paying attention.
    Any rifle that has those same characteristics, I would not want to have for a LR hunting rig.
    The subject of this thread has been about Weatherby, and I have responded about the subject of the thread.

Snake,
    I agree with you on this!
    Now I know whose barrels Weatherby uses--Krieger. I love my Krieger barrels.
    Point is, regardless of whose barrels they use, if consistent accuracy cannot be maintained for what is needed for LR shooting, Weatherby needs to make a heavier profile barrel if they really want to have a viable set-up for LR shooting/hunting.
    Get rid of the excessive freebore, better trigger, heavier contour of barrel, and offer decent solid bottomed brake and their rifle would be much more suited for LR.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    CMW wrote: »
    Weatherby does have a few long range style gus. For example ther range certified, accumark, and the trr line are 1/2 moa guarunteed with factory ammo and make great LR rifles. I wouldnt hessitate on taking a deer at 800 yards with a weatherby. People say the groups widen past three shots but if you cant hit the animal on the first shot the majority of the time you shouldnt be hunting, alone long range hunting in the frst place. One shot one kill. thats why you sight them in cold bore.

Do you really realize what you said here? Be honest now, have you ever sat down when out in the wild and thought about how far 800 yards actually is? I just shot a deer last week at the whopping distance of 200 yards. It wasn't that difficult of a shot, but it wasn't a snap success either. It took a bit of thought and preparation on my part to hit that deer at that range. I had practiced at that range, knew the poi of my rifle at that range, and I have been shooting a lot lately so I squeezed off the shot without flinching or pulling it. The results was a bang flop kill. However, it wasn't THAT EASY. Getting steady on a 200 yard target is not a given. Now, multiply that distance by 4 and it's 800 yards. To me, that's 4 times more difficult to say nothing about not really knowing what the wind would be like in the other ZIP CODE!!! There are a few people on this forum that I would trust with a shot like that and you and I aren't one of those. I don't know you and you have proven nothing to me. So why would I think you could nail a deer at that ridiculous range?

And while I own one Weatherby Rifle and love it, I know that it doesn't make me a long range SNIPER. The benefit that these overbore cartridges give us is measured in inches, not feet. By the time the bullet gets that far, it's only marginally better than a conventional weapon! Get Real!!!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It is my belief that Weatherby does use premium barrels in their guns. The ones I have owned have all been excellent shooters with pretty decent bedding from the factory and as I said fit and finish has been flawless in every one I have ever examined.

I've never had a need for a 500 yard plus hunting rig but in any case I have never cared to have any more than 2 MAYBE 3 shots in a neat little cluster from a hunting gun. Every rifle I own has proven to me it can do MOA or better for 3 or more shots but that is just gravy on my mashed potatoes. If the first 2 touch consistently I'm :tooth:

Also never had a "pencil thin" barrel that would hold for 5+ shot groups or even understand the need for it. On a final note you could not PAY ME to lug a heavy barrel on a hunting gun but I know many folks here prefer them. I'd rather walk the world with a sub 8lb rig that can put 2 shots from a cold bore next to each other all day long. And THAT'S why makers manufacture so many different models of rifles. I don't think ANYONE even expects to see a heavy barreled 12+ lb Weatherby or that they have ever been designed/intended for such use. That 30-378 was only designed to put 2 shots into an elk at whatever distances anyone would care to shoot at the critter at. :uhm:

Thank you Bro Wambli, you hit on every point I was trying to make. I love my Mark V 300 and I never plan on shooting over 3 shots at game at a time. That is not asking too much of its pencil thin barrel. In fact, I am a fan of those barrels for hunting. It will hold for three to five shots and it's not like carrying the Titanic's anchor around all day. With all the steel in the action area of a Weatherby, a heavy barrel would be a terror to carry in the field. That thing would weigh 15 pounds!!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    These rifles have moose, elk, beer, and deer.

I haven't been beer hunting in years....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I own six weatherbys: a 300, 30-378, 7mm, 340, 378, and a 460.

Would you be opposed to posting some pictures of these rifles? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see them...
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Do you really realize what you said here? Be honest now, have you ever sat down when out in the wild and thought about how far 800 yards actually is? I just shot a deer last week at the whopping distance of 200 yards. It wasn't that difficult of a shot, but it wasn't a snap success either. It took a bit of thought and preparation on my part to hit that deer at that range. I had practiced at that range, knew the poi of my rifle at that range, and I have been shooting a lot lately so I squeezed off the shot without flinching or pulling it. The results was a bang flop kill. However, it wasn't THAT EASY. Getting steady on a 200 yard target is not a given. Now, multiply that distance by 4 and it's 800 yards. To me, that's 4 times more difficult to say nothing about not really knowing what the wind would be like in the other ZIP CODE!!! There are a few people on this forum that I would trust with a shot like that and you and I aren't one of those. I don't know you and you have proven nothing to me. So why would I think you could nail a deer at that ridiculous range?

And while I own one Weatherby Rifle and love it, I know that it doesn't make me a long range SNIPER. The benefit that these overbore cartridges give us is measured in inches, not feet. By the time the bullet gets that far, it's only marginally better than a conventional weapon! Get Real!!!

I do know what 800 yards is. To be able to shoot that far takes alot of practice. You also have to have mastered the external ballistics of the round you are shooting. And thats not just on a computer program. A program wont be dead on the money for your rifle. Yes I do have the facillities to practice at 800 yards and I have done so. With a 25 power scope the sight picture is like that of a 3 power scope at one hundred yards(not to bad). This does take a really really steady rest. You are not going to do this sitting and using shooting sticks. I either shoot of a bench or from a prone possesion with a good bipod. I also do a lot of trigger control dry fire paractice. I have a technique I picked up from one of my dads friend who was a Army recon sniper. I take a cleaning rod and insert it down the bore half way. then you get in a prone possesion and have someone balance a dime on the end, then I squeze the trigger and try to keep the dime steady. I have learned alot about long range shooting from this same sniper. He is the basis of where my skills and technique come from. I'm not saying if i saw a deer at long range and had any weatherby on me I would start slinging bullets. But I know for a fact a that I can hit a target at 800 yards with my weatherby system that I have spent hours behind and know how to properly use.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Would you be opposed to posting some pictures of these rifles? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see them...

I'll see, I could get pictures of the internet but I dont have the camera equipment on hand to take a picture of mine unlesss I used my phone. Those images may not be great though.
    Thanks...not interested in stock Weatherby photos - ...I think we'd really like to see YOUR rifles.....there's just something about a rifle that belongs to someone, tend to have more "character" .
    Post away with your phone. Many of us do that at times, when we don't have our camera handy.
    Which of the six (300, 30-378, 7mm, 340, 378, and a 460) do you use for LR shooting?
    Optics, bullets you hunt with, and MV's for those rifles?
    Sounds like you have the basics covered in terms of form. It is great to have skilled mentors for sure.
    What size target do you typically use for your LR practice?
    How do you correct for wind in terms of determining speed with your scope?
    FWIW-I would not discount the ability of some to make shots at distance from the sitting position using their field gear:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    You got that right. Every used rifle has a story to tell, or a few.