Home Main Category General Firearms

Weatherby Mark V Rifles

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    FWIW-I would not discount the ability of some to make shots at distance from the sitting position using their field gear:jester:

AMEN!
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    I use my 30-378. At the moment my optics arent the best. My favorite long range gun is my .338 lapua magnum. On my .338 is use 300 grain bergers with magpro powder and on my 30-378 I have been using 168 grain a-max's with retumbo powder. My favorite long range Optic is sadly not on my weatherby but I will soon replace the one on the weatherby 30-378. On my .338 I have a leupold Mark 4 ERT 4.5-14x50 with the tmr reticle which I love and M5 Mil turrets. Soon the scope on my 30-378 will be replaced with a scope of the Mil/Mil type. I just hate using a Mil/Moa scope for corrections for wind and bullet drop. I like to do things simply. At least the Mil/Mil is simpler to me. For the wind correction I started of with a chart printed out of a program called exbal and I did some range testing for minor correections and I keep the card on me when I plan on LR shooting. Out to four hundred yards I use a lot of hold over values and past that I start to dial in. Like I said my main LR gun is my Armalite ar-30 in 338 lapua but I am completely confident with my weatherby even thoough the scope is really lacking in what I would like it to do for clearness and adjustment. My grandpa was the original owners of all my weatherbys and he had a bad problem of putting cheap scopes on expensive guns. He even put a tasco 10-40x50 on our 50 bmg(which I replaced after it snapped in half). He could still hit a 8 inch target at 1000 yards. He was a good LR shooter. He took a whitetail at 800 yards with a .243 off of a hood of a truck. He used a mauser with light barrel and a lyman super target spot. Amazing to me that he used a blurry 8x scope with unknown adjustment values and only rested on a hood of a truck. He was also a big influenze on me. He died when I was 11 so he never really got to see me start shooting LR. Furthest he saw me shoot was about 500 yards with his or "my" weatherby 7mm.
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    I also have a Lapua, but it is a 338 Lapua Improved (338 AX--Allen Xpress). I have used Exbal for years-Great program.
    MV for your 30-378? I wouldn't use that load for anything up close(It will be a mess), with MV's, probably in 3400 fps or so.
    Twist rate not fast enough to stabilize the heavier A-Max's? If your twist rate will stabilize the heavier A-Max's it will do even better in the wind at distance:up:
    Got me curious now, what scope do you have on it?
    I prefer MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL myself, and add to that FFP, but I can easily use a mixed scope.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CMWCMW Member Posts: 53 Member
    I load the amax's to about 3400 fps. It stabilizes them well and is accurate. Im limited on a lot of accuracy testing because I have to keep letting the barrel cool after three shots(only bad thing about the weatherbys). I feel pretty bad saying this but it is a tasco 6-24 on the weatherby 30-378. It's pathetic, I known, but money gives limitations and I put all of my money into my .338. The scope works well enough to get started at long range. I was brought up modest on optics and have learned to stretch every bit of life out of a crapy optic. Like I said I shot the 7mm wby mag at 500 yards and all that it had on it was a redfield 3-9 power. My grandpa taught me to use and love "kentucky windage" but I prefer using the mil system, so that tasco on the 30-378 has to go. It will either be junked or put on a 22 or something. Once you can shoot with crappy optics good optics make 500 yards feel like 250.
    "Life is tough, it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
  • bigsurbobbigsurbob New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    You couldn't give me one. Shotty workmanship and lousy accuracy. I don't even know if they're safe to shoot!!! LOLOLOL!!! Right!

Whoa, I stood up out of my seat. Just bought an Accumark .308 and a Deluxe .300 WBY Mag. Sure, pricey. But love is.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    bigsurbob wrote: »
    Whoa, I stood up out of my seat. Just bought an Accumark .308 and a Deluxe .300 WBY Mag. Sure, pricey. But love is.

Sarcasm.jpg
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Never owned a Weatherby, never wanted to. I don't like the style, which to me seems "Japanese" if you know what I mean. I'm a traditional style rifleman myself. Classic turns me on, severe monte carlo stocks and brilliant black finish do no. I like rust blue.

I'm not sure, but I think Roy Weatherby is the father of the white line spacer. A sin against nature. I do not like the looks of the wooden stock bling rifles, too shiny bowling pin finish, and see no need where I live to push performance. As for the synthetic stock rifles, they look the same except for the trigger guards as any other synthetic stock rifle. If I was looking for performance, I think I could get the same performance in a Rem 700, or close enough. Since all calibers are within a fairly close envelope, a few hundred fps has been proven to not kill any better than any other rifle. For me the 7-08 or the 7mm Mauser is fine. For around here the 30-30 is just fine for killing a 120 pound whitetail. For bigger animals, you can kill an elk with a bow and arrow, so you don't need a eargersplitzen magnum. I'm no long rage shooter.

Which in no way is to criticize the performance of these rifles. Their performance is superior, if that's what you're looking for. It's not what I'm looking for, though. If Statistics is your goal, you could do a lot worse than a Weatherby. Statistics are not at all important to me, "good enough" is my goal. People love them or hate them; I certainly don't love them, but certainly don't hate them. I'll never own one and yield the floor to those who are far more familiar than I am.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Weatherby Mark V rifles are masterpieces of the production gun maker's art. Immensely strong, well crafted, beautifully finished, and chambered in proprietary high peformance calibers of every practical size. Truly a Cadillac brand. And to acquire one, you will pay a Cadillac price, and you will get your money's worth. You might even wonder how such a firearm can be produced for so little.

As for me, I am beyond a snob, way beyond an elitist, and even a bit arrogant to boot. For the same money or therebouts, I would rather have a rifle that is not only a masterpiece, but far more rare and collectible as well. You see, the Weatherby Mark V is still in production, and there is the risk that the Joneses next door might buy one just like mine. I want to cut those odds. I would look instead at a mint condition Mannlicher-Schoenauer from the 1950s or 1960s. That iconic full length stock and butterknife handle are unsurpassed for elegance and, oh yeah, they shoot good too. Better yet, a really excellent Colt Sauer. That retracting lug bolt is just too cool. Enjoy.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Be sure and tell the deer about that rifle's pedigree- - - -it will probably lay down and die out of sheer amazement! I'm sure the rest of us are suitably impressed also!
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Be sure and tell the deer about that rifle's pedigree- - - -it will probably lay down and die out of sheer amazement! I'm sure the rest of us are suitably impressed also!
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:
    Jerry

The deer just as well go ahead and lay down when I lift my Weatherby to my shoulder. I always have been impressed and the deer do lay down and die and it is sheer amazement how quick they do.:jester:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    This is an old thread that's been beat to death. That said, a Weatherby Mark V is a fine rifle, but it's a Cadillac Escalade to your Chevrolet Tahoe.....just another fine rifle with more bling to it.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Weatherby
    You see, the Weatherby Mark V is still in production,

I did not know this. Weatherby got cheap with their latest line of rifles. They had too, not many folks are willing to pay for a Mark V Deluxe.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buf, I would say they "streamlined" to meet the market. You're right, not a lot of folks are willing to pay for a MK V......I'd love one, like I'd love a Corvette in my garage too. So here comes the Vanguard....the poor man's Weatherby, and the Howa, the no excuses no holds bar Made in Japan emblazoned upon it Blue Collar rifle that took the Remington 700 and made the design better....but it's not in the same room as a MK V Deluxe.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Buf, I would say they "streamlined" to meet the market.

I agree, a bad choice in words on my part. Myself I see the Weatherby as the super duper cartridge and the piece of furniture no one would take into the field and risk a scratch. I bought a 300 Weatherby Mark V for long range target shooting, what was I thinking, you can cook on the barrel on the 3rd shot.
    Yep, the barrel will cook strips of spam after a few rounds of .300 mag or wby....I call my Howa .300 WM a field expedient stove...lol! Mountain hunting is rough on rifles, but the finish on a MK V is tough, just not tough enough for the Rockies. I went Hogue on mine....total practicality....but everyone should have a Ferrari in their gun safe, just because.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You can go ahead and sit back down. He was being sarcastic, actually I believe he owns one IIRC. Welcome.

Yes I do own one. And next time bigsurbob, read down the page a little. It WAS sarcasm. I love my one Wby Mk V and I do have a Howa 1500 Action which is he same as the Vangard, and I love that rifle too. I had it rebarreled to a .250 Savage.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    You guys realize Weatherby does make more then one model of MkV right? They're not all shiny, bright blue, or extremely heavy. Plenty of matte, stainless, synthetic models, and the Ultralight starts at 5.5lbs for under 2k$.
    I gave my son this Mark V Deluxe in 7mm Weatherby mag. Another great rifle.

100_1395.jpg
    Beautiful rifle, that is truly a classic Weatherby, LIKE IT!!
    I have a Mark V Deluxe like that, same chambering, made in Germany. It was given to me by a friend after I repaired the stock, which had been broken in half across the pistol grip area. "I can't hunt with it in Ohio- - - - -just keep it!" Nice rifle, but it doesn't walk on water! The trigger housing is diecast aluminum, and when it warps, it can cause a ND. I put my first reloaded round through the roof of the gun shop while checking it to see if it would chamber properly. Just touching the bolt handle made it discharge! According to the Weatherby forum, that's a common problem with the German-made Mark V's.
    Jerry
    I have a Mark V Deluxe like that, same chambering, made in Germany. It was given to me by a friend after I repaired the stock, which had been broken in half across the pistol grip area. "I can't hunt with it in Ohio- - - - -just keep it!" Nice rifle, but it doesn't walk on water! The trigger housing is diecast aluminum, and when it warps, it can cause a ND. I put my first reloaded round through the roof of the gun shop while checking it to see if it would chamber properly. Just touching the bolt handle made it discharge! According to the Weatherby forum, that's a common problem with the German-made Mark V's.
    Jerry

You know, I am sorry that you had that problem with that German made Weatherby. If you want I have four German made Weatherby rifles to shoot that will provide the necessary therapy to help you get over that unfortunate experience and you will love how they group and how the trigger breaks clean. I have two made in Japan that are awesome and the rest in the US that are also awesome. I don't think Weatherby ever made the claim that their rifles can walk on water, in fact I don't know of any rifle that can and I like a lot of different makes of rifles. I am sure with your skills you corrected all the problems from the broken stock to the poor trigger and when you did all of that, how did it shoot?
    I am sure with your skills you corrected all the problems from the broken stock to the poor trigger and when you did all of that, how did it shoot?

Lots of muzzle blast, uncomfortable recoil, and fair to moderate accuracy. A 3-shot group somewhere in the 1 MOA range is its average performance, which is what Weatherby promised when those rifles were built. Beyond 3 shots it scatters groups like a shotgun. It's got an insatiable appetite for powder for only a mediocre improvement in velocity over my Remington 700 7 Mag. The brass is only good for about 3 reloads before it burns through at the neck area. Since the trigger design sucks like a Hoover upright, I'm going to adapt it to use a Timney trigger designed for a 98 Mauser. It's an OK rifle, but it sort of reinforces my opinion that Roy Weatherby was the P.T. Barnum of rifle builders.
    Jerry
    Lots of muzzle blast, uncomfortable recoil, and fair to moderate accuracy. A 3-shot group somewhere in the 1 MOA range is its average performance, which is what Weatherby promised when those rifles were built. Beyond 3 shots it scatters groups like a shotgun. It's got an insatiable appetite for powder for only a mediocre improvement in velocity over my Remington 700 7 Mag. The brass is only good for about 3 reloads before it burns through at the neck area. Since the trigger design sucks like a Hoover upright, I'm going to adapt it to use a Timney trigger designed for a 98 Mauser. It's an OK rifle, but it sort of reinforces my opinion that Roy Weatherby was the P.T. Barnum of rifle builders.
    Jerry

I see your great admiration for the Weatherby leaking through your comments and staining the page with disdain (wow that rhymes). :cool2: :roll2::jester: Only one question in light of your deep admiration for these older Weatherby rifles (or any Weatherby for that matter). Is it the first shot you make that drops most game you shoot or is the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th shot? :jester::guns: JK :up:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,872 Senior Member
    After reading this thread, I'm going to have to add "Weatherby" to my list of firearms or manufacturers with fan boys.

I've fired a few. They're nice, but not enough to make me want one, honestly. But if that's what you like, go for it.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Any rifle I build only needs one shot to drop a game animal. I just don't worship at the altar of Roy Weatherby.
    Jerry
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,872 Senior Member
    Is it the first shot you make that drops most game you shoot or is the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th shot? :jester::guns: JK :up:
    I love irony.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Is it the first shot you make that drops most game you shoot or is the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th shot? :jester::guns: JK :up:

Well if he was hunting with Chris it would be 8 shots.
    Any rifle I build only needs one shot to drop a game animal. I just don't worship at the altar of Roy Weatherby.
    Jerry

Neither do most of us who own them.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Jerry

But Jerry and mike, though I only have and do own one Weatherby, my old gun club friend, Henry, had several German made ones. The first thing he did with them was take them to Kleingunther, in Seguine Tx and they put Douglas Supreme barrels on them all, which are button cut I think and the German Weatherby was hammer forged and would not group tighter than 1.5 inches. Henry is an accuracy fanatic and wanted sub MOA. And the Douglas barrels gave him that and more. He also put Timney triggers on them all, so what was said here must have some merrit because Kleingunther said the factory triggers had some problems and the Timneys would cure it. And they must have cause Henry still has those Wbys and they do shoot very good. Henry owns 4 WBYs, 2 Kleingunthers (I think) and a McMillan. He knows about accuracy.

I hadn't talked to Henry in a coons age until I saw him at the Feb. Gun Club meeting and we got to talking about this. Of course, he's 80 years old now and his mind's a little foggy, but he didn't hesitate with telling me all this. I would love to have the money to buy some of his collection. One of his WBYs is a .240, one a .270 and I think the others are a .257 and a .300. One of his Kleingunthers is a 7 Rem. Mag. and the other is a plain .270 Win. And his McMillan is a 7 Rem. Mag.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!