Home Main Category Personal Defense

Dressing your kids for defense.

BPsniperBPsniper BannedPosts: 1,961 Senior Member
No, I'm not talking loading them down with ninja gear and rocket launchers. Just thought the title would get a rise out of folks. I'm talking about the color of their cloths. I was just looking over the family pics of the Grand Canyon again.....

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?574-Took-the-Family-to-the-Grand-Canyon.-(Pic-Heavy)

....and thought I'd mention something. See what you guys think and do.

I tend to be an earth tone kinda guy. Besides accenting my beautiful eyes and stellar good looks, I just like the colors. Not to mention, being somewhat subdued in color, helps me to not stand out in a crowd and be THAT GUY with the crazy beach shirt and all the bright colors. Basically, I'd just as soon not be noticed or remembered at all.

I am the exact opposite with my kids. When going out in public, I dress them in bright, noticeable colors. This does two things I want to mention.

1) Helps me to keep track of them! At their age, they like to wander. Especially my boy. Even though I've taught them to stay close...well....they can sometimes be easily distr.......SQUIRREL......what was I saying?

Anyway, I want to be at the grocery store or park or wherever and be immediately able to look around and spot them if they leave my side. This has been helpful on numerous occasions. All I have to do is glance and BOOM, there they are.

2) Next, if something bad ever happens.....like getting seperated at Walmart or something. When describing them to management, I can use the bright colors as a description and they will easily be recognized by those looking for them.

I obviously know that in dressing them this way, I am doing the exact opposite of what I try to do by blending. Could I make them a target by dressing them as such and making them noticeable? Maybe. But that's where their subdued colored dad comes in handy. You go touching my kids, in their bright cloths, and.......

Is it a risk? Maybe. But I'd rather be able to keep track of them and, should others need to search for them as well, the bright colors help in that area.

Another thing I've taught them is the "stop what you're doing and circle the waggons" noise. I make a clicking noise with my mouth and they immediately stop what they are doing and come to me. No matter what! This I've instilled in them over and over. If they hear it, they immediately look for me. This way, if we are out and I see something I don't like, I can get their attention without drawing undue attention as well. Heck, it works just to stop them from walking in front of someones shopping basket. I click...they stop and look at me...period. And I don't have to call their name or anything else. Just food for thought.

What do you guys think? Yea....ney?

Replies

• gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    All of it sounds well-thought out and logical. Especially your little code for circle the wagons.

One other "dressing the young-uns" note I can think of: Avoid putting anything on the child - shirt, backpack, hat, etc. - with the kid's name on it. Kids can be trusting souls, and any grownup who bends down and says their name in a welcoming way MUST be a friend, right?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    I totaly agree with your thoughts on dressing our little ones in easily identifiable colors. Not only are they easy to spot by us or good people that might be looking for them, it makes them stand out. Bad people that might desire to snatch a little one, do not want to be noticed or seen leaving the area with the kid in the bright colored shirt or jacket.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    All of it sounds well-thought out and logical. Especially your little code for circle the wagons.
    I actually learned that raising chickens as a boy. Hens would make a noise and all the chicks ran under them or to cover, depending on the noise. Figured, if it works for chicks, gotta work for kids too.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    I'll have to try it on chicks, but I would think they'd tend to ignore the crazy guy on the dance floor clicking his tongue for attention... :hand:

It seems a shame we have to think this way, but today's world is a dangerous, scary place to raise kids. We gotta give them every tool and every defense we can! And I can tell by the smiles and your stories that the kids have nothing but love and respect for Dad. Great job!
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    I agree. All kids clothing should be bright, reflective, and fire resistant. I've got to try the clicking thing.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    The clicking thing is a good idea, the wife and I definitely use color when going out and about with the boys to keep tabs on them, I have been trying to teach them to key on my shirt color in a crowd, my 2nd grader is pretty good at it when I was watching him at the county fair last week.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Really good ideas.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Interesting about the chickens, try this one out, make a loud Hhhhhssssssttttt sound, they get in a twist and cluck like mad, all alarmed and on high alert..... :uhm:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996