Home Main Category General Firearms

Found my load for the DPMS LR308 AP4

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Spent a litle time palying out at the range today testing some loads. I had some Horandy 165 SST bullets that didn't work out on another project some time back. I knew I had to speed them up a little because of the short barrel on this rifle. I pushed the loads up starting at 44.0 grains of Varget and worked my way up to 45.5 which isgetting very close to a compacted load. At 44.0 the group was meh, but when I got to 45.0 and 45.5, WOW! Both 45.0 and 45.5 were putting the first 3 rounds touching each other then #4 & #5 would raise about 3/8" but still really impressive being sub moa groups. I think I am going to stick with 45.5 grains of Varget and 2.70" OAL. Them little pigies better watch ot this year!

This is the kind of stuff that makes hand loading worth while.
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Yeah, i miss reloading. How many rounds of each weight powder charge do you load for development and range testing? I only ever loaded straight walled pistol cases for my Ruger Bisley in .45LC. In those days you couldn't buy the loads I wanted for hunting. I loaded 6, ( a cylinder full) of each weight as I worked my way up in power.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Yeah, i miss reloading. How many rounds of each weight powder charge do you load for development and range testing? I only ever loaded straight walled pistol cases for my Ruger Bisley in .45LC. In those days you couldn't buy the loads I wanted for hunting. I loaded 6, ( a cylinder full) of each weight as I worked my way up in power.

    I went 1/2 grain increments working up towards max load, this method usually works best for me. Bolt guns I will usually load 5 rounds of each but gas guns I like to go 10 rounds of each. At 45.5 grains I was running 2626fps on the chrono today.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Way to to Timc! :up: Sounds like you have a load that can get the job done. Hope you can nail a bunch of those piggies to the ground with that rifle! Course, a big 10-12 point buck wouldn't be bad, neither! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Way to to Timc! :up: Sounds like you have a load that can get the job done. Hope you can nail a bunch of those piggies to the ground with that rifle! Course, a big 10-12 point buck wouldn't be bad, neither! :tooth:


    Those big bucks are few and far between where we hunt, overhunting by the neighbors reall hurt the population for a lot of years. They are coming back now, the really bad neighbors sold out and the new owner does not hunt. We have been on a 1 or 2 deer max self imposed limit for several years now and the county has put in n antler restriction witha 13" minimum spread so it is starting to pay off in seeing more deer, I am more of a meat hunter anyway so a doe is just fine for me.

    I am really happy with this rifle and supprised at how well it shoots, hopefully I can find some piggies at longer ranges to give the Eliminator a work out.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,180 Senior Member
    Looks like you found the sweet spot. Do you still have the bullpup? Did you run a few of these through it?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Looks like you found the sweet spot. Do you still have the bullpup? Did you run a few of these through it?

    I do still have the RFB but That was the other project that didn't work out with the SST's which is why I had the 165 gran SST's laying around. I ordered 400 more of the SST's last night; time to get busy loading!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    You still suck. That is all.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    You still suck. That is all.

    :wink:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,180 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I do still have the RFB but That was the other project that didn't work out with the SST's which is why I had the 165 gran SST's laying around. I ordered 400 more of the SST's last night; time to get busy loading!

    That jogged my memory for some reason last night, oh well.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    :yousuck:

    I am so jealous, right now. You are the second person to rub my nose in this. A friend just bought the DPMS in .308, 20" heavy barrel, that I recently passed on, because I want to buy an XDs whenever they come to town, and I can't buy both. He, too, is shooting nice groups with hand loads. :bang:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,110 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Spent a litle time palying out at the range today testing some loads. I had some Horandy 165 SST bullets that didn't work out on another project some time back. I knew I had to speed them up a little because of the short barrel on this rifle. I pushed the loads up starting at 44.0 grains of Varget and worked my way up to 45.5 which isgetting very close to a compacted load. At 44.0 the group was meh, but when I got to 45.0 and 45.5, WOW! Both 45.0 and 45.5 were putting the first 3 rounds touching each other then #4 & #5 would raise about 3/8" but still really impressive being sub moa groups. I think I am going to stick with 45.5 grains of Varget and 2.70" OAL. Them little pigies better watch ot this year!

    This is the kind of stuff that makes hand loading worth while.

    That Varget/165 SST combination has always been a sub-moa performer in my .308...though mine settled in at 44 grains...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    That Varget/165 SST combination has always been a sub-moa performer in my .308...though mine settled in at 44 grains...

    44.0 grains of Varget is about where my 20-22" barreled guns like to run but this little 16" barreled rifle was at 2475 in that load range. 45.5 is pushing them at 2626.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,110 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    44.0 grains of Varget is about where my 20-22" barreled guns like to run but this little 16" barreled rifle was at 2475 in that load range. 45.5 is pushing them at 2626.

    That sounds right...my .308 is a 20"....and I'm getting about 2600 fps....I neglected to take into consideration that you had 4" less barrel...Glad you have a shooter on your hands....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,483 Senior Member
    Very contented feeling when you find the right load
    Happy for you
    E
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement