Home Main Category General Firearms

Dear Guns and Ammo...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,872 Senior Member
For your photo contests and web articles, could you please, please, please avoid having folks who have their finger on the trigger if they're not aiming at a target? It would help to bolster the image of shooters and take away from the idea that we're a bunch of careless yahoos, especially in the aftermath of the Colorado shooting.

Sincerely,
Hopeful in Florida.
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I agree but I suspect those of us who are safety minded when it comes to firearms are the only ones who would notice something like that anyway.

I certainly agree that they should avoid it though.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    You saw that on FB as well, huh?

I though the cigarette hanging off of her lip definitely added a bit of class though.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    There's a reason I stopped following "Guns and Ammo" on Facebook entirely. I understand the "do what you've got to do to stay afloat" measures, but a lot of the content just doesn't appeal to me.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,872 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

I though the cigarette hanging off of her lip definitely added a bit of class though.
    Yeah, but looking back, about half of their photos are of the "finger on trigger" variety, and most of 'em look a little loopy.
    This article also made me think:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-athletes-competing-aurora-mind-160910223--oly.html
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

Who are we talking about?
    It's on the G&A page.

Bride-with-gun.jpg

Link to the contests: http://www.gunsandammo.com/caption-contests/
    I'm just here for snark.
  • oklatjoklatj Member Posts: 56 Member
    Yeah, but looking back, about half of their photos are of the "finger on trigger" variety, and most of 'em look a little loopy.
    This article also made me think:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-athletes-competing-aurora-mind-160910223--oly.html

That was a really good read but sadly the truth:(

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Breamfisher, I totally agree. The G&A people that are running the photo contests are posting up photos that not only show unsafe firearms handling, but generally put shooters in a bad light. We've got an uphill battle already with people wanting to further restrict firearms ownership. Showing photos of people like that will give the casual on the fence observer a mighty poor representation of the typical firearms owner, and possibly tip them to the anti side of the equation. We need all the friends we can get, not go out and purposely make us look like a bunch of idiots with guns.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • oklatjoklatj Member Posts: 56 Member
    I could not agree more
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I guess stupid photos of unsafe gun practices used in contests boost circulation.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    She does not belong in white...

...I like her M16 though....
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    She does not belong in white...

...I like her M16 though....
    I didn't know you were a journalist, also. :tooth:
    I'm just here for snark.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Is she a bride or beauty queen? That's not a M16.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    I didn't know you were a journalist, also. :tooth:

Clearly that's a Glock 40 .
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    He knows it's not an M16. Its a machine gun.

Did you know, I've had people who have never shot a gun before and I actually have to BREAK the habit of putting thier finger on the trigger. It's just a natural reaction, it seems. Gun in hand, finger on trigger. I believe it comes from the media. Movies, TV, and evidentally Guns and Ammo.

Do not put your finger on the trigger unless your sights are on target and you have made the decision to fire.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Mr.F wrote: »
    Clearly that's a Glock 40 .

No no! you've got it all wrong! THAT is a deadly fully automatic machine gun capable of firing over 1,000 a min of heat seeking bullets than can take down an air liner!

(all things I've heard the media say)
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Breamfisher, I totally agree. The G&A people that are running the photo contests are posting up photos that not only show unsafe firearms handling, but generally put shooters in a bad light. We've got an uphill battle already with people wanting to further restrict firearms ownership. Showing photos of people like that will give the casual on the fence observer a mighty poor representation of the typical firearms owner, and possibly tip them to the anti side of the equation. We need all the friends we can get, not go out and purposely make us look like a bunch of idiots with guns.

Very well said. It would seem the more senior folks at G&A would realize hit counts and ratings aren't worth eroding the gun enthusiasts' image. They really should stop pandering to the crowd that watch those silly "reality" shows on TV.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    We had a G&A staff member admit he had trouble keeping his
    finger of the trigger with uncocked SA revolvers; I do too.
    Pistols and SA/DA revolvers just cause a different reaction.

So as said above it is a natural thing that happens.
    I agree it needs attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Quinian wrote: »
    No no! you've got it all wrong! THAT is a deadly fully automatic machine gun capable of firing over 1,000 a min of heat seeking bullets than can take down an air liner!

(all things I've heard the media say)

Nope...........the Glock 40 is on her head, the assault "waypon" is in her mouth and that thing in her hand is clearly an RPG (Redneck Pop Gun)!

:jester:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Earl, GREAT point. I admittedly haven't thought too much about it, but always noticed "finger on the trigger". Definitely nothing funny about being unsafe.
    tennmike wrote: »

SPOT on Mike!

:beer:
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama