Home Main Category General Firearms

AR maintenance question

wddodgewddodge Senior MemberPosts: 1,150 Senior Member
I have a DPMS nothing fancy type AR that I use in three gun matches at the local club and to plink with on occasion. Unfortunatly this weekend will be the first its been out of the safe this summer. When I took it apart to inspect/lube I had a tough time getting to bolt apart. When I did get it apart, there was a good amount of carbon behind the seal rings and inside the carrier. I think I used every cleaner in the drawer to try to soften this carbon up a bit and I did finially get it all removed.

My question is, other than clean the thing more often, is what should I have on the shelf to clean off this baked on stuff?? Hoppes didn't work, Gunslick Foam worked as good as anything else I had. A small pocket knife to scrape it worked the best. Any stuff works for you guys??

Secondly, I sprayed it down good with CLP and wiped off the excess. Anything else work better? I used to rub a thin film of Mobil 1 on the slides but stopped after a couple of the high power shooters at the club shook their heads at it. But they didn't tell me what they used either.

Denny
Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    Look at that...you let some disapproving looks from a couple of snobs change the way you do things? I started using Mobile 1 on the advice of guys who run them things for a living... it works fine
    ...They actually make carbon scrapers for ARs...that's the way you get the stuff off...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Look at that...you let some disapproving looks from a couple of snobs change the way you do things? I started using Mobile 1 on the advice of guys who run them things for a living... it works fine
    ...They actually make carbon scrapers for ARs...that's the way you get the stuff off...

See this post?^^^^ That's what you need.

For a scraper I use one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/933512/mark-brown-custom-ar-15-bolt-carrier-carbon-gun-cleaning-scraper
    It does a great job on the inside of the carrier. I use an old case on the tail section of the bolt, but will be upgrading to either:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516729/g-and-g-tools-ar-15-bolt-cleaner-and-polisher
    or
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/129691/magna-matic-defense-carbon-scraper-removal-tool-ar-15-steel
    I'm just here for snark.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    Those snobs shoot a whole bunch more and a heck of alot better than I do. I thought I might learn something there. I think there just might be a film of Mobil on the rails by tomorrow evening.

Thanks Bream for the links. Looks like those will work just fine.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    BTW, I use Mobil 1 under advisement from some guys here and some other competitive shooters. I've had nary a problem with it. The shooters may know technique, but not maintenance.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    CAT M4 Tool. It is not the fanciest but it's the eastiest to carry in your pocket and use in the field.

http://www.catm4.com/

ETA: I think Pegasus is the one who recommended it but the C.R.S. is kicking up a little tonight
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    wddodge wrote: »
    I thought I might learn something there.

You did partner...there are rectal sphincters involved in most shooting sports...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,814 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    CAT M4 Tool. It is not the fanciest but it's the eastiest to carry in your pocket and use in the field.

http://www.catm4.com/

ETA: I think Pegasus is the one who recommended it but the C.R.S. is kicking up a little tonight

Indeed, it was I who recommended that tool and I still do. As for lube, I recommend grease, not oil. There are several high tech greases available.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,447 Senior Member
    I use a couple different tools to scrape the carbon off. Then, I use synthetic transmission fluid and either Shooters Choice Grease or TW-25B to lube.

This system works like a champ. No malfunctions with thousands upon thousands of rounds.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith