Home Main Category General Firearms

About .22 pistols ???

Mr.FMr.F MemberPosts: 89 Member
I was thinking about getting a .22 pistol for cheaper target practice & for when I take a new shooter along . I see Ruger Mark IIs & Mark IIIs in the shops - is there any differance between the two that would matter ? Any other models that would would fit the bill that are affordable ?
Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I wont buy a Mark III because of the lawyer additions to the pistol. The S&W 22A is an excellent little pistol for the money. Also the Ruger 22/45 is another excellent pistol.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Mr.F wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting a .22 pistol for cheaper target practice & for when I take a new shooter along . I see Ruger Mark IIs & Mark IIIs in the shops - is there any differance between the two that would matter ? Any other models that would would fit the bill that are affordable ?
    Buford wrote: »
    I wont buy a Mark III because of the lawyer additions to the pistol. The S&W 22A is an excellent little pistol for the money. Also the Ruger 22/45 is another excellent pistol.

Oh boy did you ask a good one ...

0b464c89_tumblr_lvo2835OOi1qe3p9bo1_5001.gif
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Not a fan of the MKIII's.

MKI's and MKII's are fine, along with the 22/45's, S&W 22A's, Browning Buckmark, etc....

I personally prefer the Buckmark because upon slide lock, you can release the slide by grasping it, pulling back, and releasing. With the Rugers you HAVE to used the slide lock button to release it.

The Buckmark is also much easier to get apart and back together for cleaning, but you can negate this with the Ruger by simply turning the gun upside down and drenching the insides with aerosol cleaner (they honestly don't have to be cleaned that often anyway).
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    22A is a good one, but I find that the grip doesn't work for everyone. In my experience, they are very accurate. And it's hard to beat the price. Smith's customer service was fantastic for me, too.

I'll let the others cover the rest of the options.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Fan of the MKII here. My old man has one in a competition model. It is smooth as butter especially since he polished the trigger pull to a few ounces. Eli is right on the breakdown for cleaning it though. It is a pain in the butt.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I am also a huge fan of the Mark II. Eli, you are mistaken about the release on the Mark II. Mine can release the slide by either pulling back and releasing or by depressing the slide release lever.

The Smith and Wesson and Browning Buckmark are both excellent choices too though.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I am also a huge fan of the Mark II. Eli, you are mistaken about the release on the Mark II. Mine can release the slide by either pulling back and releasing or by depressing the slide release lever.

The Smith and Wesson and Browning Buckmark are both excellent choices too though.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Procrastinated on buying a MKII until I heard what was coming on the MKIII. IMMEDIATELY ordered a MKII before the stock was depleted. Pilots don't want gremlins in their aircraft, and I don't want lawyers in my pistols.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    I personally prefer the Buckmark because upon slide lock, you can release the slide by grasping it, pulling back, and releasing. With the Rugers you HAVE to used the slide lock button to release it.

The Buckmark is also much easier to get apart and back together for cleaning, but you can negate this with the Ruger by simply turning the gun upside down and drenching the insides with aerosol cleaner (they honestly don't have to be cleaned that often anyway).

^ This. The Buckmark also emulates the 1911 in grip angle and control layout, which is a plus for some of us.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You can forgit about buying a decent .22 revolver anymore for a fair/decent price, that is, unless you come across an exceptional deal. Just look at how much even a Rossi is going for on anther thread.

The Ruger MKIIs still out there and the Buckmarks (I've fired, but don't own one) are probably your best bet these days.

I kick myself for not buying more .22 Revolvers when the price was affordable/fair.

I did OK on my colt Official police .22 (circa 1930, 3 digit SN# XXX) a couple years ago.

Middle Colt, top (never fired it, piece of crap ???) Comanche and bottom S&W model 64 Kit Gun

marksblackberry140.jpg

Ruger Govt Target Model MKII

IMG00032-20110430-1910.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Just get one of these..... the AWC Amphibian MKII, just $1300 plus the stamp... :drool:

awc_amphinian_mk2_ss.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/awc-amphibian-s-ruger-mkii-22-amphibiansmkii.aspx
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I have a lot of .22 pistols, handguns in my day. I have two Browning buckmarks, and a hawes .22 revolver now. I have a slide release on my buckmarks. The Ruger single six is a nice little .22 revolver.

Big Chief wrote:
    You can forgit about buying a decent .22 revolver anymore for a fair/decent price, that is, unless you come across an exceptional deal. Just look at how much even a Rossi is going for on anther thread.

ya got that right Big Chief^^^
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Before cpj jumps all up in your stuff, the Security Six isn't a .22...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Doesn't seem that the original question was answered. I have a couple of Mark IIs and a newer 22/45 (which has the Mark III changes). Unlike the Mark II the Mark III has a loaded chamber indicator and it will not fire when the magazine is removed. The LCI is just aesthetics to me, though some would argue that it could impact reliability. It can be removed easily and replaced with a blank insert.

As to the magazine disconnect "feature" or whatever you want to call it, this creates a real problem because the trigger has more take up on the first round after cycling the slide than the remainder. You get used to it, but it's definitely a detractor when compared to the Mark II.

A well maintained used Mark II is the better purchase.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I have a Ruger Mark I and 22/45. But I bought a Browning Buckmark last year and it was love at first empty magazine. I still like the Rugers, but the Buckmark is kind of like a major upgrade. The Buckmark is definitely easier to break down for cleaning, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I have a Ruger 22/45 Mark III. I chose it over the Buckmark because it was $80 less, wish I had a better reason but I don't. It's a good pistol but it doesn't blow me away. Shoots good now that I've found ammo it likes (it HATES Winchester Wildcats), better than I can anyway. I could probably get it to shoot better if my indoor range had lighting worth a damn (my 20/15 eyes have trouble picking up the sights in there). I paid right at $300 for it, and I would call it worth about that. I am not a fan of the lawyer features, especially the magazine disconnect. However, I have done some research and it is fairly easy to disable. The Loaded Chamber Indicator is not that bad, it was even helpful when I was getting failure to feeds with Winchester Wildcat ammo, but I still pull the bolt back and physically look. I don't need a device that can break to take the place of my common sense training.

If I could do it again I'm not sure I would still get it. I might have saved a bit for a Buckmark or a conversion kit for my 1911. I'm currently debating between ditching the 22/45 to fund said conversion kit, or keeping it and dumping about $150 in parts (sights, trigger kit) to make it better.

If I were you I would avoid "tactical" type 22's such as the Ruger SR-22, Smith and Wesson M&P22, Sig Mosquito, etc... I consider the Mark II, Mark III, and Buckmark to be far more versatile.

IMG_1318.jpg
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Eli, you are mistaken about the release on the Mark II. Mine can release the slide by either pulling back and releasing or by depressing the slide release lever.

Hmmm, perhaps it's just the 22/45's. Shooting my dad's and BigBoreShooter's 22/45's is what solidified my Buckmark decision.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    SS3, trade that 22/45 in on a Ruger Govt Tgt Model with 6 7/8" bbl, next to a S&W model 41 ( very $$$$$) it's the best out there for the money.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    If The Mark III has all those extra lawyer things I'll try to avoid it . I don't like useless things that can break or get in the way . Are the tactical looking .22s prone to poor accuracy / failure or just not up to mark ii / Buckmark performance ? I didn't think of it until Chief mentioned it but it has been some time scince I have seen a .22 revolver anyplace !
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I only have two 22 revolvers. A Ruger Single Six and a Colt Frontier Scout.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Love my Sig Sauer 1911-22, made by GSG. Same weight and controls as a 1911 .45 acp.

2d5dc510.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I'm a tad late to the party but I have the S&W 22A-1. As I understand it, what seperates mine from a 22A is mine has the heavy barrel and optics rail. That wasn't a desiding factor for me but the gun itself is so nice any misses are 100% shooter error.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    Not cheap, but get a Smith Model 41 and you'll be happy.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    i have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII, not a defense handgun by any means so I don't care about the magazine disconnect, now taking the thing apart for cleaning is another thing unless you get this upgrade which makes life a lot easier...

http://www.majesticarms.com/

The Smith 41 is awesome but not cheap, if you could get your hands on a good used, no longer made, Sig Trailside at a decent price that would be the one I would get, see them used on Gunbroker for around $500. This guns where not made by Sig Sauer but actually made by Hammerli who makes incredibly good and expensive guns for serious competition.

I still dread letting a mint Trailside go for a ridiculous price that came up when I was broke!!!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »

**** Bruchi... I see about $100 worth of stuff I want to chuck into my 22/45 on that site between their grips and the Speed Strip 3.2 kit...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ApexxApexx Member Posts: 111 Member
    I have shot my Dad's Ruger MK II for years. It's great, but pain in the butt to strip and clean. When it came time to buy my own I went with a Buckmark. Not because anything wrong with the Ruger. Just wanted to do something different than what I had alway shot. I love the Buckmark. I think you will enjoy either one. I think .22 pistol is one of my better purchases. Sure made my overall pistol shooting much better. I can't really speak to much about other .22 pistols. I hear the Walther is pretty good. I will say a couple folks I know have Sig Mosquito's and they are pretty finicky when it comes to ammo. They do not like the cheap stuff at all. I guess there isn't enough pop to the cheap stuff to cycle them.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    If you can find an old high standard they are exceptional guns

IMG_0261.jpg
    I might have saved a bit for a Buckmark or a conversion kit for my 1911. I'm currently debating between ditching the 22/45 to fund said conversion kit, or keeping it and dumping about $150 in parts (sights, trigger kit) to make it better.

Kimber's conversion kit is pretty sweet!
    IMG_0133.jpg

NRA Endowment Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Before cpj jumps all up in your stuff, the Security Six isn't a .22...

My bad wasn't thinking I think I meant the single six? Thanks LM

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSix/index.html
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    My nephew bought a Beretta U22 NEOS .22cal. pistol. Shoots great and cost well under $300. Now he's ticked at me cause I told him there is a carbine conversion kit available for it and once he saw it, he started drooling. :tooth:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270