Fledgling Turkeys

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberPosts: 1,688 Senior Member
Has anyone seen the newest batch of fledgling turkeys? They are all legs and fluff. They are some damn cute, its hard to imagine them as groceries. Their wing feathers came in first and they jump off the ground when they flap their wings. They get up about a foot then forget to continue flapping, and fall back to the ground, then they look around to see if anyone was watching..........Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    We've been watching several hens and their poults for a few weeks now. There's about 8 or 10 hens, each with a handful of poults following them, that head for the small stream that flows through our neighbor's pasture about the same time every day. The hens spend a lot of time watching out for hawks- - - -turkey poults are one of their favorite snacks!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    We saw a hen with a dozen little ones trailing along behind her a little over a week ago. We were in our car when we saw them, so we just watched. Our dog, a Westie, was ready to go get 'em. Good thing we make him stay in the car, though, as I'm pretty sure that hen would tear him a new one.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    There are six young turkeys that hang around with our chickens. They are about 2 1/2-3 months old now. It looks like there are 3 jakes and 3 hens.

003-3.jpg

014-1.jpg

010-2.jpg
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,724 Senior Member
    I saw a flock last week with one white chick with the rest of the flock. Is this common?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    We have some almost white turkey hens around. They really are beautiful.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I saw a flock last week with one white chick with the rest of the flock.

It is apparently not uncommon. It is believed to be an anomaly caused by domestic turkey genes in the blood line.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I saw a flock last week with one white chick with the rest of the flock.

It is apparently not uncommon. It is believed to be an anomaly caused by domestic turkey genes in the blood line.......Robin

I expect so, it is common enough for domestic flocks to escape the turkey barn during a storm in these parts
    and some will never be rounded up.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    The white ones don't last long in the wild- - - - -too obvious a target for predators.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I've been seeing a hen with a bunch of little ones in the median every morning on the way to work. The median of a 4 lane highway!
    I'm pretty sure that one isn't up for mother of the year.