Home Main Category Personal Defense

62,000 delinquent firearms licenses in the Dominican Republic

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/2009/02/02/i187042_casi-mil-licencias-armas-sin-renovar.html

Dominican Republic:

A total of 61,953 firearms licenses are expired currently, around 27 % of civilian arms....
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,889 Senior Member
    So?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    So for some reason, perhaps they can't afford to renew.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    What is your problem dude ????
    Are you now the official forum bully ?

:silly::silly:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    The large majority of members here are in/from the U.S.A.

So the status of firearms licenses in some third world country matters why? :uhm:

So are you saying no one on this forum cares about firearms rights in third world countries Paul ???

I would not have thought of you in that number..... is that not a bit of an elitist attitude ????

I could have sworn some of our valued members such as Lone Wolf from Peru would be interested...

BTW, the Dominican Republic = Bruchi's next door neighbors....

Maybe they should get another job then.
    That is no surprise.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,889 Senior Member
    I'm just asking:
    1. Why is this pertinent to us?
    2. What are the mechanisms by which this is happening?
    a. Cost?
    b. Processing problems, i.e. government interference?
    c. Signs of rebellion against the idea of needing a permit?
    3. What do you think our reaction should be?

You linked an article written in Spanish, with a vague at best statement, and seem to have no real information yourself as to the mechanisms of what is occurring, much less any remedial course of action to be taken. It's akin to a post here where you say, "The sky is yellow.," and link to a story written in Farsi. Okay, that may be a problem, but what, if anything, can we do about it? It's kind of hard to have a discussion about that.

I'm sorry if you feel bullied, but as a former LEO you should know that some pertinent facts are needed in order to have a discussion that gets to the heart of an issue.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Interesting. Is this something new, or is this average the norm?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Let them eat cake or better yet, go pick coffee beans or coconuts :devil::jester:

Seriously, maybe they will have some reform or a rebellion against the firearms laws there. How much is a renewal?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    So then Doc, what do you think is next?

Another govt crack down on the poor?

I hope there is a peaceful resolution.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The linked article is in a language I don't speak, nor care to learn. I had to go to a translation program to read that mess.
    As to why they aren't renewing licenses, the last paragraph of that article says it all. Most people living in the DR probably can't afford it.

By law 36 for the control of Firearms, for you to legalize their gun, either pistol or gun, you must purchase a tax of DG Internal Revenue RD $ 2,200, a receipt of Interior and Police of RD $ 2,000, passport photo of RD $ 700, the cleaning costs RD $ 40, the Trust costs RD $ 500, examination of the psychiatrist RD $ 800, for a total of RD $ 6.240. For a transfer, only the receipt of the Ministry of Interior and Police is more expensive, costs RD $ 7 billion, and the total is RD $ 11 billion. In the case of licenses for holdings, these are slightly cheaper, costing RD $ 4.940. for institutions with exemptions for law costs RD $ 2.840, to obtain an official license of any type of firearm, the total cost is RD $ 2,840. These fees are covered within the provisions of the law and the Ministry of Interior and Police.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    As Monty Walsh said...."You've got no idea how little I care...."
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Dominican Republic:

Not just there Doc.
    'The measure passed by Honduran legislators cancels gun permits and also prohibits transporting weapons in vehicles in Colon.'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19095078
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Instead of outlawing guns outright, just make it too expensive to be legal.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Not just there Doc.
    'The measure passed by Honduran legislators cancels gun permits and also prohibits transporting weapons in vehicles in Colon.'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19095078

Someone posted up about a guy who was transporting a handgun in his colon not so long ago.................and the Honduran legislators passed a law against it?????
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    The general attitude here is, no one gives a damn.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Someone posted up about a guy who was transporting a handgun in his colon not so long ago.................and the Honduran legislators passed a law against it?????

Strange place to be packing a pistol, but I guess the old saying, "Whatever floats your boat", applies. I'm guessing a rapid draw would be out of the question, too. Then there's the danger of the muzzle being plugged with 'mud'! :silly:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I think it is worth noting seeing we here have people like Mayor Bloomberg doing about the same thing, perhaps we will see a day when prohibition of our rights may come economically to where we will not be able to afford it, much like what was accomplished with class lll firearms, make an M-16 cost $ 18,000 and most will not be able to afford it...

Unless you are Buford......
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

'prohibits transporting weapons in vehicles'

Where you place said vehicle is to your own taste.:yikes:
    I think it is worth noting seeing we here have people like Mayor Bloomberg doing about the same thing, perhaps we will see a day when prohibition of our rights may come economically to where we will not be able to afford it, much like what was accomplished with class lll firearms, make an M-16 cost $ 18,000 and most will not be able to afford it...

Unless you are Buford......

No class III weapons here. You do make a point though. I'm concerned about whats going on in my country. A third world country not so much.
    Remember the Australian millionaire and his female sidekick that were bragging how they would import Australian style gun control laws to the U.S. ???

What makes anyone think it can't happen here ???

Edited to add: the current leader of our Country is a good example of that.
    Remember the Australian millionaire and his female sidekick that were bragging how they would import Australian style gun control laws to the U.S. ???

What makes anyone think it can't happen here ???

I don't think anyone here thinks like that.
    What does any of this have to do with a third world country? That is what this thread is about, yes
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

Since you went through all the trouble to read a tidbit on gun laws in "banana land" as you frequently refer to carribean countries, why don't you read a little more about the politics in the Dominican Republic and then you might understand the reasoning for their not wanting the general public to own guns. Then you wouldn't have to post fragmented information that no one cares about on an internet forum. You could post more complete information that no one cares about.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Hard people in this thread
    Hey he has emotional ties there.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    What is heard here in PR is that LEGAL guns in The Dominican Republic are EXPENSIVE and incredibly hard to obtain for regular folks and as in any country where this is so the possession of illegal arms is HUGE. Range buddy goes there on business a lot and tells me that they do have some pretty nice ranges where you can rent pretty much anything but it is as well expensive.

Mexico is another good example of this reality and here in Puerto Rico, some ten years ago the laws and mountains of red tape required to navigate to get a gun possession permit, about a 2 year wait, I did it that way myself, was so huge that getting guns illegally in "the street" was quite easy, when the laws where improved those ~10 years ago that changed some, you can still get stuff easily "on the street" but it is now a much "darker" situation as regular folks can much easily get a guns legally.

Funny how that works right?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hard people in this thread
    Hey he has emotional ties there.

If he had emotional ties there he would know more about the history and what the US did to the Dominican Republic in the mid sixties.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • garyhh2garyhh2 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    I think the good Doc was born in the Dominican Republic, and was some kind of LEO there. His point is well taken in that the ownership and shooting of guns is being made more difficult here all the time by the increase in cost to own and shoot....
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    garyhh2 wrote: »
    I think the good Doc was born in the Dominican Republic, and was some kind of LEO there. His point is well taken in that the ownership and shooting of guns is being made more difficult here all the time by the increase in cost to own and shoot....

This being your first post here pings suspicious on my, admittedly not entirely unsullied, mind.
  • garyhh2garyhh2 New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Eli wrote: »
    This being your first post here ping suspicious on my, admittedly not entirely unsullied, mind.

Hey Eli, this is my frist post on the "new" forum.....but I go back a ways....
    garyhh2 wrote: »
    Hey Eli, this is my frist post on the "new" forum.....but I go back a ways....

Funny thing is this: garyhh2 is spot on with his comment, I do indeed have a history in that country, and I do have a connection, one of My ancestors, My great grandfather was a patriot and hero of the republic, and his portrait is on display in government buildings, and yes, I did serve as a LEO in that country......