Home Main Category Personal Defense

Carry Options for Women

ADRidge's GirlADRidge's Girl MemberPosts: 30 Member
Hey guys,

I got my CHL earlier this year, and am finally starting to look into carry options a bit more seriously.

Drew had taken me to the gun range some months back to shop around, and I loved the Kimber solo (of course) and also liked the Karh PM9, was wondering if anyone out there could suggest any other small carry pistols in 9mm to try out before I make a decision? I know the Kimber is on long wait list most everywhere - but that would be my preferred option. I'm sure the wait list is about the same anywhere, but if you know of anyplace where it's a bit shorter, send my way.

Also, if any of your wives/girlfriends have preferred methods for carry, would love to hear. I have been looking into the Flashbang and Marylin holsters from flashbang.com, but might also try something on the hip. Any helpful advice would be most awesome!

Replies

• U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    How about a Kahr CM9, a cheaper similar version of the PM9. Then with the money you'd save, you could get a Kel tec 9mm too? I hear they are nice, but have only held one.http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_150/products_id/411535235
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Hey! Glad to see you posted this here too! Here is a great review from a girl. I can tell you I carry a similar holster with my Springfield Ultra Compact V10, and it is a winning combo. I would also take a look at one of them too, just for the sake of keeping your options open. My wife likes the 1911 in .45acp much more than the .380 I bought her.

Here is the review, also, if you look at some of her other videos, you will see many many great options for the wommens.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    The Wife has a Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact (that she liberated from me!), and often takes it with her to horse shows. Her Virginia permit is honored by pretty much all our surrounding states where she competes (except Maryland, but she only has one show there).
    109004_01_lg.jpg

She uses a Galco fanny pack holster that fits in perfectly with all the other bags and gear in the truck.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Again. there are many female Law Enforcement Officers that can aid any female CCW holder as far as holster choices.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    If you ike 1911style pistols, don't overlook Springfield armory's EMP. Personally, I would choose that over the Kimber Solo.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    If you carry a purse, the world is your oyster. Get a Glock 19. If not the purse type, the one's you mentioned are nice. A compact 1911 is probably well-suited for your needs--or possibly the new S&W Shield. I held one of those a couple days ago--very nice. And you would be surprised what a good IWB holster can hide!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    One caution about off-body carry (purses and etc.): if you put down the carry device, you've just put down your firearm.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Also, with a purse, a snatch and grab becomes a big problem.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,050 Senior Member
    I carry a PM9, so don't get one. If you do, these guys are going to start telling me I'm packing a woman's gun. They already tell me that about my .270.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Also, with a purse, a snatch and grab becomes a big problem.

Or fanny pack it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I carry a PM9, so don't get one. If you do, these guys are going to start telling me I'm packing a woman's gun. They already tell me that about my .270.

Mike
    Mike, a PM9 is what I bought for my wife to carry, so I can already say you're carrying a woman's gun.

They're nice, small, accurate & reliable pistols. Since I have 1st hand knowledge of them, it would be my choice for a small 9mm.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Sarah, if you get the PM9 also avoid shooting it over buckets of...... Well, we would let you bring that one up! :jester:
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Kahr PM 9. Great pistol, and well made. It's a little strong in the slide at first, but eases up after a couple of hundred rounds. Just make sure you can rack the slide before you buy.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    If you ike 1911style pistols, don't overlook Springfield armory's EMP. Personally, I would choose that over the Kimber Solo.

Luis
    REDDEVIL wrote: »
    :agree:

I personally haven't owned an EMP but have witnessed consistent failure in one. I've seen enough anecdotal reports of the EMP failures when I was VERY interested in getting one that I decided against it. Most of all, its price hovers around the $1000 mark, which seems rather steep compared to something like a Colt Defender 9mm.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    If you carry a purse, the world is your oyster. Get a Glock 19. If not the purse type, the one's you mentioned are nice. A compact 1911 is probably well-suited for your needs--or possibly the new S&W Shield. I held one of those a couple days ago--very nice. And you would be surprised what a good IWB holster can hide!

Don't arm the purse snatcher! :tooth:

Sarah, the PM9 is good gun with a solid reputation. My wife has an MK9, which is the all-metal (heavier) version of the PM9 and really like it! She's really good with it. The only thing is that it doesn't shoot steel case (cheaper) ammo reliably. The Solo is relatively new to the market and there have been quite a few reports of issues (again, anecdotal). Personal, I never recommend or purchase a gun that is new to market for carry. Too much risks.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    My D-I-L (who is also a Houston Cop) carries a Walther PPS in .40 S&W.

It is a very nice carry HG.

So nice I am going to get one.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

Mike

Me and you know the truth, brother. Those other guys are compensating for some lack...
    I carry my women like a six-pack.. Dunno how you guys do it.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

That could almost be a real "Shocker" ... :devil:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Buffco wrote: »

Then you wake up as your wife reminds you to take out the garbage.... :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    Don't arm the purse snatcher! :tooth:

Al

Not as much of a chuckle as you intend. Some years ago, a close friend of mine carried her carry gun in her purse despite being advised repeatedly of the risks involved. The purse was grabbed by a couple of adolescents as she was leaving the mall.. Knowing what was in the purse she refused to let go and as a result was badly beaten by the pair and still lost her handgun. Visiting her in the hospital, she relayed that the fact that she had armed these guys hurt worse than the beating...and assured me she would never carry in that manner again.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,050 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Mike, a PM9 is what I bought for my wife to carry, so I can already say you're carrying a woman's gun.

Whoa....that left a mark!:tooth:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Whoa....that left a mark!:tooth:

Mike
    The truth hurts my friend :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Really:roll:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Really:roll:

?

Your one word replies can be confusing at times...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ?

Really?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    ?

I got it. All about bad timing.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Women have tons of vest options they can wear to better conceal a CCW that don't scream, ''I have a gun!''

TheNorthFaceNuptseWomensVest.jpg345Q0XWbrn.jpg
    5163282.jpg

Unlike men......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTymGTtcDoT7SORu7k907kQAbTSzqcbrhsfdX3H8L-Oez0F0PCiyncebYc3
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Not as much of a chuckle as you intend. Some years ago, a close friend of mine carried her carry gun in her purse despite being advised repeatedly of the risks involved. The purse was grabbed by a couple of adolescents as she was leaving the mall.. Knowing what was in the purse she refused to let go and as a result was badly beaten by the pair and still lost her handgun. Visiting her in the hospital, she relayed that the fact that she had armed these guys hurt worse than the beating...and assured me she would never carry in that manner again.

Wow, that's definitely a lesson for everyone! I tell people "don't arm the purse snatchers" all the time, but haven't had anecdotes to share. I'll be using this one for sure.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    "Women have tons of vest options they can wear to better conceal a CCW that don't scream, ''I have a gun!''"

No, it is merely the perception that women do not carry firearms.... that is what screams "I don't have a gun" a good thing, the last thing to pass through that criminals mind before the bullet.....