Home Main Category Personal Defense

Carry Options for Women

2»

Replies

• rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Kramer Leather makes female anatomy specific holsters. Horse hide is a great bulk reducer for carry holsters.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Except for people life the Wife who would no more wear horsehide than they would doghide. It's a philosophical thing.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    I've shot a PM9, and it's a great gun...I can't say anything bad about it. That said, something I heard somewhere that has stuck with me is the idea that compact revolvers are a good choice for women due the increased likelihood of having to use the gun at contact or near contact distance, which could make an auto malfunction. I don't know of any documented case of this happening, and there are certainly ways you can train around the (potential) issue. I do know that the majority of violent attacks against women start with a grab or shove, so there is some evidence to suggest that using your gun inside 1 yard is possible. Either way--training and awareness are what matter most. My favorite small revolver is the Smith 642 in .38 +P, since it's snag free.
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Except for people life the Wife who would no more wear horsehide than they would doghide. It's a philosophical thing.

fine, order it in bulky, abrasive cow.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
    Is there a problem?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • OjibahineOjibahine New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Also, if any of your wives/girlfriends have preferred methods for carry, would love to hear. I have been looking into the Flashbang and Marylin holsters from flashbang.com, but might also try something on the hip. Any helpful advice would be most awesome!

I carry the S&W M&P 9C, and I love it! I currently have 3 different conceal carry options. All 3 do not require a belt.

Belly Band: Not my favorite, but it works. I find it's best in cold weather, as I have to wear an undershirt to keep the velcro from scratching my skin.

My favorite one so far is the rig I bought from Badger Holster. It's a cross draw shoulder rig, but is made of soft material and can be worn next to the skin. All that's needed is a loose shirt to conceal it.

My newest one is from Remora. I'm still testing it out, but like it pretty good so far. I have found though that it works best with pants that have a snug waistband. They advertise that you can wear it with yoga pants, which is why I was interested, but to me, it doesn't feel as secure.

If you want to, you can private message me and I can go into more detail on each one. Always glad to help when and if I can.
  • ADRidge's GirlADRidge's Girl Member Posts: 30 Member
    Oh man thanks guys, awesome feedback! It sounds like the PM9 is a fav among most, i was unsure about how hard it is to rack, but if it will get easier after breaking in that might work. I think Drews mom has one actually that i can borrow to try out!

I definitely plan to carry on my person, i agree carrying in a purse leaves room for a lot of issies. Im so glad someone posted that supertuck holster video - thanku! He showed me that last year and i'd been wanting to find it again!

I really like the s&w M&P too, i shot it several times at the range last year and it was very comfortable.

Looks like for now i will test out the PM9 his mom has and try out a few holsters with it! Excited!

I also like the horse hide holsters - good suggestion. Drew had one i tried on once - very comfortable. Thanks again you guys! Ive been on the road all arnd texas this past week so i didnt get to reply sooner, but this has really helped a ton!! :)
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Oh man thanks guys, awesome feedback! It sounds like the PM9 is a fav among most, i was unsure about how hard it is to rack, but if it will get easier after breaking in that might work. I think Drews mom has one actually that i can borrow to try out!

I definitely plan to carry on my person, i agree carrying in a purse leaves room for a lot of issies. Im so glad someone posted that supertuck holster video - thanku! He showed me that last year and i'd been wanting to find it again!

I really like the s&w M&P too, i shot it several times at the range last year and it was very comfortable.

Looks like for now i will test out the PM9 his mom has and try out a few holsters with it! Excited!

I also like the horse hide holsters - good suggestion. Drew had one i tried on once - very comfortable. Thanks again you guys! Ive been on the road all arnd texas this past week so i didnt get to reply sooner, but this has really helped a ton!! :)

No one has asked the most important question, what is the purpose of your desire the CC? Self protection? Do you go into harms way regularly? Do you deal with the public regularly and cash? There are many choices, and sizes. It is easy to get a small .380 or 9mm that you can pocket carry that would be great for personal protection, but not a gun I would choose if I was in harms way every day, like a courrier, or a gas station clerk. The Kahr PM9 is a good compromise gun for size and power. The Ruger LCP in .380 and LCR in .38 special are super small and light. The Glock 23 would be a good choice if you were in harms way sometimes and might be called on to use it.

In my opinion, define the task, then select the tool.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    No one has asked the most important question, what is the purpose of your desire the CC? Self protection? Do you go into harms way regularly? Do you deal with the public regularly and cash? There are many choices, and sizes. It is easy to get a small .380 or 9mm that you can pocket carry that would be great for personal protection, but not a gun I would choose if I was in harms way every day, like a courrier, or a gas station clerk. The Kahr PM9 is a good compromise gun for size and power. The Ruger LCP in .380 and LCR in .38 special are super small and light. The Glock 23 would be a good choice if you were in harms way sometimes and might be called on to use it.

In my opinion, define the task, then select the tool.

IMHO

D

Thanks for asking that sir. I want to start carrying on a daily basis, but also have a few specific reasons for carry:

1. I am about to start working at an art gallery soon, a small place where I will be the only one watching the shop. I will work mostly evenings and weekends. It is in a busy outdoor mall - fairly upscale - and so likely pretty safe, but still you never know. I will prob wear dresses a lot, so this poses a specific clothing challenge. I wonder if maybe a thigh holster might be something to consider? I haven't really looked around much yet about this.

2. I am a photographer and I do a lot of nature and small town/texas culture, so I'm often times in remote areas alone when shooting. This is definitely my biggest reason for carrying, since the equipment is expensive and draws attention easily.

I'm a fairly small gal as well and usually wear pretty fitted clothing, of course I can alter that as needed. Any thoughts?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    The photographers vest is the pretty stereotypical type vest for a man to wear for concealed carry, if you are taking pictures and wearing such a vest, you just need to find an outside the waist band holster you like that will be covered by the vest.

Wearing a dress or a skirt is a bit tougher, no belt to hang a holster on, if you want to carry in the gallery, I think you are going to have to wear slacks. There is such a thing as a bra holster that hooks in the front of your bra between the cups, my wife though that was doable, but she has not tried one on.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    So it sounds like personal protection is your main purpose, and small size will help with concealment. You have shot larger guns with recoil, and have had a decent intro to shooting.

Off the top of my head I am thinking Ruger LCP. It is extremely lightweight, and it kicks hard when shot because it is so light. The .380 caliber is not an ideal self defense round but would be adequate. It would be easily concealed in a thigh holster and for a small gal with small hands it will fit you.

This is the Ruger LCP next to a 4 inch knife. It weighs 9.5 ounces empty and will hold 6 +1 rounds, is just 5.2 inches long less than four inches high and .8 inches wide.

DSC03240.jpg

The upscale in size would be the Ruger LC9. It is in 9mm, small and light, and will kick like you are shooting an even more powerful round. It is also small and concealable. Here it is compared to the LCP diagramed over it:

lcppastover.jpg

It weighs over 17 ounces and is larger and holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm, a much more potent cartridge.

Good shopping! either of these pistols will work great with a pocket holster if you are not wearing a dress and decide to wear a vest or jacket.

You can get lasers for either and Keltec also makes compareable sized guns.

IMHO you need a small concealable and reliable pistol that you should practice with once a month for 6 months are the range, and then once a quarter there after to be profiecient.

Best,

Dan
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    One little mentioned aspect of choosing a hard kicking compact handgun is if you get into a personal defense situation where you need tighter groups, you may not be as confident of your shooting as you would with a handgun with a longer sight radius and a heavier weight.... The easier your handgun is to control will also make you more confident in your ability to shoot tighter groups....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member

I'm late, too.
    FWIW, my wife recently took her CCW class. We've had a PM9 for years, it's "her" gun. She loves it, and has come to shoot it very well. She had quite a bit of trouble manipulating it at first, but since it's broke in, and she's learned how to handle it, no problem whatsoever. It's very, very accurate, and seems to recoil quite a bit less than other similar guns. I used to carry it quite a bit in the summer.
    Anyway, now that she's ready to carry, the carry method/holster dilemma has come about. She's tall and thin, and likes clothes that fit her well. She pretty much ruled out the in waist band carry option, she wasn't about to ditch all her designer jeans to buy ones a size bigger. So, we tried several outside waist band holsters that I have, that didn't work out too well. Pretty much none of her shirts would conceal it, outside of bulky sweatshirts, and a couple of vests.
    I showed her the video posted above, she was amazed. Yesterday, I brought home a Galco supertuck for her. She's been wearing it ever since. It works with almost all of her jeans, she doesn't need a big heavy belt, she said it feels like the gun is glued to her side. Secure, super comfortable, she said that she forgets it's there.
  • OjibahineOjibahine New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    One little mentioned aspect of choosing a hard kicking compact handgun is if you get into a personal defense situation where you need tighter groups, you may not be as confident of your shooting as you would with a handgun with a longer sight radius and a heavier weight.... The easier your handgun is to control will also make you more confident in your ability to shoot tighter groups....

:that:
    Yeah I think the Supertuck is my favorite option for holsters so far - i've always been amazed seeing it in the video. I want to try the Remora thigh holster as a 2nd choice for when I am wearing dresses at work. Going to the range tomorrow and hopefully will be able to try out a few of the options above! I'm definitely going to check out the LPC for size... and probably the PM9 and M&P as well. I can definitely see the advantage of not getting anything that kicks too hard - so I will keep that in mind when I'm trying out options tomorrow. Thanks everyone!!
    Wife is pretty recoil sensitive and the M&P is fine for her.

NRA Endowment Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Yeah I think the Supertuck is my favorite option for holsters so far - i've always been amazed seeing it in the video. I want to try the Remora thigh holster as a 2nd choice for when I am wearing dresses at work. Going to the range tomorrow and hopefully will be able to try out a few of the options above! I'm definitely going to check out the LPC for size... and probably the PM9 and M&P as well. I can definitely see the advantage of not getting anything that kicks too hard - so I will keep that in mind when I'm trying out options tomorrow. Thanks everyone!!

Glad to hear it!
    Perceived recoil is a very real thing. What you think kicks hard, may not for someone else. Just remember, it's all your choice.
    On the flip side of that, you have to carry the thing every day. A lot of times, the best option for carry, isn't the best thing to take to the range and shoot 500 rounds through. And visa versa.
    The best option for carry probably isn't the most fun gun to shoot at the range. Especially if you're of very small stature.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Glad to hear it!
    Perceived recoil is a very real thing. What you think kicks hard, may not for someone else. Just remember, it's all your choice.
    On the flip side of that, you have to carry the thing every day. A lot of times, the best option for carry, isn't the best thing to take to the range and shoot 500 rounds through. And visa versa.
    The best option for carry probably isn't the most fun gun to shoot at the range. Especially if you're of very small stature.

:that: Amen! I would rather shoot my Ruger 10/22 rifle all day, but it's hard to conceal. I can conceal my S&W 632, Polish P64 or SMC380 in a pocket but I don't want to shoot more than 50 rounds through them at any one range sitting.

If you ever have to pull your concealed weapon and fire it, you won't be worried about the recoil or noise at the time...

IMHO

D
    Ok I am back from the range! I tried the Ruger LCP and LC9 and the Sig P238. I couldn't even rack the Kahr unfortunately, esp with the tendonitis in my wrist, so I did not rent it to shoot. I didn't like the long trigger pull on the Rugers, they actually hurt my hand after about 4 rounds. I really liked the Sig though - much shorter trigger pull and pretty comfortable in the hand and a good size. Unfortunately the one I rented jammed a lot - I'm not sure if this is common for sigs or if the rental gun just needed cleaning. Anyone have experience with this one?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I have two Sig Saur's a P-228 and a P-230 and these guns have been nothing but flawless. I'm guessing a worn out dirty range gun. Your experience is the exception and not the rule.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    I have two Sig Saur's a P-228 and a P-230 and these guns have been nothing but flawless. I'm guessing a worn out dirty range gun. Your experience is the exception and not the rule.

This is good news!! Thankyou sir! I'm going to try out one more (the Kahr Drew's mom has) in the next few weeks and after that I think I will be decided.. pretty sure I am leaning towards the Sig though. Ah cannot wait to start buying holsters to try! (wow truly I have been converted to a gun person - i'm excited about holsters now! lol)

Oh, i thought I'd share a pic of my best grouping of the day yesterday too - this was 5 rounds @ about 7 yards with a full size 9mm Beretta my friend rented... for the record, I definitely outshot him. ;)
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Sig, in fact they are highly respected as back up guns and self defense guns. As long as you practice, practice practice. It may like some ammo better than others, but if you choose a .380 make sure to pick well respected defensive ammo for your carry loads, such as Hornady Critical Defense. or CCI/ Speer Gold dots. Personally I would carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds in that Sig.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfapyxxSsKDtu7a4bb6J4_aVoYaQNvNFWsuFaYSfknyAdOEPbBZg-gN8g9

As you can see it expands well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe0xnY7pMt78NwS8vjHNVt0iuOTO7s-WedfqQ8ThR5vAQACxaUrg

And penetrates well.

Good shooting and you are well on your way to being self protected...

D
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Nice shooting.:applause:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Very good shooting, definitely "minute-of-scumbag"! The SIG appears to be a classic single action auto, similar in design to a 1911. Its only "drawback" is that it needs to be carried in "condition 1" with the hammer cocked and the safety engaged, which has a tendency to spook the uninitiated. There's seldom time to rack the slide to chamber a round in a self-drefense scenario. The guns with long, uncomfortable trigger pulls substitute that for a conventional safety. That's the tradeoff a shooter must make for the perceived safety factor of carrying with a round chambered and the hammer down or the striker released. It's not an issue for an experienced shooter- - - -just be sure of your target and your intention to shoot before disengaging the safety. In other words- - - -lots of training, and practice- - -practice- - - -practice!

Hang in there!
    Jerry
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    The Sig 238 is on my list, I've been drooling over them at a couple of LGSs. Have you looked at the FlashBang holster video? Seems like possible option.

BTW..........that's "very good shooting"......if you are Rambo. I'd call it EXCELLENT.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    That looks like a great holster for a woman if she has the assets... not so much if she doesn't... IMHO

D
    olesniper wrote: »
    BTW..........that's "very good shooting"......if you are Rambo. I'd call it EXCELLENT.

Thankyou sir!! I had an excellent teacher! ;)
    The Flashbang is definitely something I want to try out! That and the Supertuck/Minituck are looking like great options. Thanks for posting the video!
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Sig, in fact they are highly respected as back up guns and self defense guns. As long as you practice, practice practice. It may like some ammo better than others, but if you choose a .380 make sure to pick well respected defensive ammo for your carry loads, such as Hornady Critical Defense. or CCI/ Speer Gold dots. Personally I would carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds in that Sig.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfapyxxSsKDtu7a4bb6J4_aVoYaQNvNFWsuFaYSfknyAdOEPbBZg-gN8g9

As you can see it expands well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe0xnY7pMt78NwS8vjHNVt0iuOTO7s-WedfqQ8ThR5vAQACxaUrg

And penetrates well.

Good shooting and you are well on your way to being self protected...

D

Thanks BigDanS! I don't really know much about ammo so this is very helpful! =)
    Teach wrote: »
    Very good shooting, definitely "minute-of-scumbag"! The SIG appears to be a classic single action auto, similar in design to a 1911. Its only "drawback" is that it needs to be carried in "condition 1" with the hammer cocked and the safety engaged, which has a tendency to spook the uninitiated. There's seldom time to rack the slide to chamber a round in a self-drefense scenario. The guns with long, uncomfortable trigger pulls substitute that for a conventional safety. That's the tradeoff a shooter must make for the perceived safety factor of carrying with a round chambered and the hammer down or the striker released. It's not an issue for an experienced shooter- - - -just be sure of your target and your intention to shoot before disengaging the safety. In other words- - - -lots of training, and practice- - -practice- - - -practice!

Hang in there!
    Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that's a really good point. I'm seeing there are a lot of things to consider about CC - i'm so glad to have a place like this to learn from. I think I will spend some more time practicing with a few different guns and really start to focus on my comfort level with each type with a defense mindset - i really just went in and shot like usual, but i think shooting from a draw position and really visualizing a situation will probably help me see where my comfort level is.

I will be staying out at Drew's folk's ranch for the next few months - so fortunately I'll have somewhere I can practice with the Kahr and a few others anytime. Drew always told me to practice drawing until it became a reflex, so I'm sure he'll be smiling down on me to see me hanging out in my bedroom practicing my draw. He sure did convert a girl who was terrified of guns just 3 years ago! Haha - i'm grateful for that! ;)

Thanks again!