It's official...or as official as the Army can be...

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,509 Senior Member
I will be getting my Diamond and a company in Germany comming this February. It will be a leadership challenge because it is a Rear Echelon Satellite company in Germany. At BNCOC and ANCOC I didn't get along to well with the those that liked the REMF assignments...But, No deployments for the next 3 years. I will actually spend more than 10 months in the same how with my wife and kids...Down Side, 3 years away from collecting, shooting, and fishing...So...if any of ya'll take a trip to Europe let me know...
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Grats to you. Enjoy the time with the family.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    Congratulations on that major achievement. Best of luck with the new assignment. And thank you for your service
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Congrats Top:usa::applause:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Congrats on the Diamond, you will enjoy Germany and especially being with your family on a consistent bases. Happy for you.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,948 Senior Member
    Congrats, enjoy the time with your family exploring Europe.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    Congrats "First Shirt"
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,293 Senior Member
    Congratulations! Getting to spend more time with the family is a big plus.
    I bet you'll be able to find fishing and shooting opportunities over there, too. I also have it on good authority that Germany makes some nice firearms, too. :tooth:
    Thanks for your service!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,289 Senior Member
    Congrats Shane :up::iwo:
    THANK YOU for your service!!
    The offer still holds... If we ever get to meet up dinner and/or drinks are on me :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Congrats! Where in Germany? I was at K-town (Kaiserslautern) a couple times long ago.
  • jgunpilotjgunpilot Member Posts: 211 Member
    Congratulations. Germany can be a fantastic opportunity to learn and travel. My first night there I ordered a meal in Berlitz German at a restaurant in a soccer stadium opposite the American housing in Weisbaden. The next day, I commented to those that lived there about how great the food was. They gave me a blank look and mentioned that they'd never eaten there, having lived in Germany two years. Some people just hole up and watch videos and eat at McDonalds. What a waste.

Look into MWR trips to Paris and Rottenburg and other cities. And don't forget that train travel there is low stress and ten times better than driving.
    "Remember, the state appointed psychiatrist is not your friend." - Jack Handey®
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,509 Senior Member
    Actually I will be K-Town...

Thanks ya'll...I am very fortunate to be getting a 1SG job as a newly promoted MSG. I have infantry friends at Campbell waiting in line to get a 1SG job and I got one off the bat. I also have the company furthest from the flag pole. The BN has their colors in Colorado Springs. The CSM that is giving me the job is risking a lot on a few phone conversations and a records review.....I do look forward to it...All of it...The family is fired up too...Gonna be fun times...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,856 Senior Member
    Congrats and thank you for your service!

Look for Makarovs.... ;)

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Congratulations and once more thank you for your service. I am sure that they hunt and fish in Germany, as for collecting, find a relative/friend that will not mind you set a safe in their basement or whatever, every once in a while, when time and $$$ permits come over and add to the collection, that way when you are back you will have all those toys to play with!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Find me and Orchid some 10.75x68mm brass and send it our way lol the only quality producer is in Germany and they stopped shipping to the states!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I lived in Baumhoulder when I was there. It is about 30 mins from Ramstein. Check out idaroberstein, the church in the rock, cool place!

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    COngrats!

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,774 Senior Member
    Congratulations. My dad was an infantry 1st Sgt. so I have some idea of the challenges you face. Best of luck, and thank you for your service.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Actually I will be K-Town...

Thanks ya'll...I am very fortunate to be getting a 1SG job as a newly promoted MSG. I have infantry friends at Campbell waiting in line to get a 1SG job and I got one off the bat. I also have the company furthest from the flag pole. The BN has their colors in Colorado Springs. The CSM that is giving me the job is risking a lot on a few phone conversations and a records review.....I do look forward to it...All of it...The family is fired up too...Gonna be fun times...

K-town did have a pretty Good Rod n Gun Club on post and an adjacent range you could use too. The restrictions are just awful on firearms for Americans over there now (thanks to Bubba Clinton's State Dept not caring about that part of the SOFA). They were getting bad when I left Baumholder/Idar Oberstein (an hour up the road from where you will be) in 95.

You will be close to all the Roman stuff in Trier. Luxembourg (Where Patton is buried) and Belgium (Bastogne) is an easy day trip on the autobahn. Lots of neat museums and stuff to see there.

In fact, just up the road from Kaiserslautern is a castle/ruins where a princess lived. Two brothers fought over her and one killed the other and built the "Church in a Rock" on the mountainside in Idar Oberstein as penance. You will be in a great location to travel and see stuff.

All I can say about Germany after 12 years of my 20 in the Army stationed there is "Make the most of it". I had plenty of good times and bad, as well. However, we got to do and see a lot of places and stuff that never would have never been in our reach. Overall, positive experiences far outweighed the negative ones.

Have fun living amongst the "Schnitzel Chompers" :rotflmao::rotflmao:

images-1.jpg

Baumholder-mapbhrht1.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,488 Senior Member
    Again, my congratulations to you, centermass!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,222 Senior Member
    Good for you, hope it is an excellent post for you:angel2:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11