Question for Orchidman; Hunting in your neck of the woods?

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
Hey Orchidman, what's the difference between a Kangaroo and a Wallabie? And can ya'll hunt those critters down there? If so what kind of gun do ya use? What made me think of this I was searching for an old song I remembered from the 1960's by Rolf Harris, called Tie-me-down kangaroo, I found him. I just love that cute ditty!!!!! You ever met Harris?... and I was watching crockidille dundee with Paul Hogan, and I saw where some men were poaching Kangaroos, so I was just wondering. I know very little about the ways of the New Zealanders, and the ways of the Australia folks, perhaps you could enlighten me a bit. Thanks.

Does anyone there in your country or Australia still hunt with boomerangs, and bola's etc? Maybe the Aboriginal people still do huh? Thanks for the information.. PS,, I would think it would be quite the challenge to hunt with a boomerang!
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    If Orchidman doesn't chime in shortly, I'll answer that, thousands of wallabys close to home, I spend most of my time with my dogs hunting them as it's only a 1/2hr drive from home .
    IMG_0081.jpg
    She ended up in the creek with this one.
    finalproof2.jpg

Cheandkimber22-250atEricRoss2005.jpg
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    There are a few places in the North Island where you can hunt wallabies Robert.
    Boomerangs are an Australian Aboriginal hunting weapon. If OZ keeps going with their restrictive firearms laws then they will all have to use boomerangs.
    Wallabies are from the same family as 'Roo's' from what I gather but are a smaller species.

Great looking dogs ojr, they both look like they are having a ball!!!!
    I was going to ask if you eat the Wallabies and what do they taste like but I guess, (like most things), they taste like chicken.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Actually Alec thay taste somewhat like beef, rich red meat without the fat that makes beef real tasty.
    backsteakes on the ones the size in the photo's can be treated as backsteakes off any other game, slice thinly, saute to taste and fast fry.
    Back legs can be cassaroled.

Robert.
    There are different kinds of Wallaby in New Zealand,
    Wallabies were introduced to New Zealand around 1870. There are several species established in NZ, the most numerous are the Bennett's Wallaby in South Canterbury and Dama Wallaby around Lake Tarawera. Dama wallabies (Macropus eugenii) are on average 5kg and Bennett’s wallabies (Macropus rufogriseus) are on average 12kg, with the males of both species being bigger than females.

Wallabies are as great a threat to the regeneration of native forests as possums. While possums consume foliage from trees and may kill a mature tree, it is the young forest seedlings that are attacked by browsers such as wallabies. They can therefore **** the regeneration of the forest. In Australia, whilst a native species, wallabies are considered a pest when among forestry plantations, greatly reducing new plant growth. Wallabies also compete with livestock consuming valuable pasture. One adult Bennett's wallaby can eat as much as one sheep.

The Drama are most numerous up North with the Bennets down in the South Island where I live.
    Basically for an average size male down here your looking at around 30lb+ with of course the bigger exceptions.
    cheers
    Owen.
    And nope, Aint never got one with my Boomerang yet.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    There are a few places in the North Island where you can hunt wallabies Robert.
    Boomerangs are an Australian Aboriginal hunting weapon. If OZ keeps going with their restrictive firearms laws then they will all have to use boomerangs.
    Wallabies are from the same family as 'Roo's' from what I gather but are a smaller species.

Great looking dogs ojr, they both look like they are having a ball!!!!
    I was going to ask if you eat the Wallabies and what do they taste like but I guess, (like most things), they taste like chicken.......

Thanks orchidman, what's a Roo?
    Thanks ojr and BTW That's a good looking K-9 you got their what is that what its name? What kind and caliber of rife is that?
    The big fellow is a German Wirehaired Pointer, the smaller black is a labrador, tha Lab's name is Che and the GWP's name is Jake.
    Both are good hunters
    Sorry Robert, edit , forgot to answer the caliber/rifle question
    The rifle in the top photo is an FN Winchester featherweight in 308
    The second photo is a Miroku [ Browning] Stainless /walnut in 223 and
    The third rifle is a Kimber Pro-varmint in 22 250
    And in answer to one of your other questions Robert.
    The ways of New Zealanders and, to a lesser extent Australians are very similar to the ways of most Americans.
    Australians of course cannot play Rugby very well and their main claim to fame is their swimming.
    Most of us here put this down to the fact that Australia is an island surounded by Sharks.
    Australian continued absence on the poduim during the recent Olymipics is , we're sure, due to the fact that the sharks have got faster and the Aussies haven't noticed, this of course is due to the fact that they are universally thick.
    So I hope that this helps you understand the difference twixt an aussie and a kiwi.
    Thanks orchidman, what's a Roo?

Colloquial slang for a kangaroo.

And ojr is right on the money regarding both the animals and our neighbours across the sea.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Robert, look at a globe. Australia and New Zealand are very, very far apart.
    Buffco wrote: »

Although the countries are separated by 2500miles of ocean, they do look close together on maps Buffy.

I have been asked if we walk/drive to Oz at low tide.........
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    what's the difference between a Kangaroo and a Wallabie?

A kangaroo is sort of a wallaby on steroids- - - - - -

kangaroowallaby-revised.jpg

They're both similar species, but there are some definite differences!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    A kangaroo is sort of a wallaby on steroids- - - - - -

kangaroowallaby-revised.jpg

They're both similar species, but there are some definite differences!
    Jerry

How do you sing about a Walaby? I know the old Kangaroo song. "Tie me Kangaroo down boy, tie me Kangaroo down." I guess you could substitute Wallaby in there. Tie me wallaby down boy tie me....Oh never mind. Anybody remembers this song is "OLD!"

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    How do you sing about a Walaby? I know the old Kangaroo song. "Tie me Kangaroo down boy, tie me Kangaroo down." I guess you could substitute Wallaby in there. Tie me wallaby down boy tie me....Oh never mind. Anybody remembers this song is "OLD!"

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Thanks guys,,,, This helps out a lot.... and BTW Snake284-1 just to be a little on the cynical side, this morning with no pun intended, I am old 56 to be exact, but to be politically correct in todays world my joke about old age: " I am not old, I am considered to be "Chronologically Gifted":rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Buffco wrote: »

Thanks Buffco, I will do that today.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    How do you sing about a Walaby?

Try the first verse of that song- - - - -"Watch me wallabies' feed, mate- - - -watch me wallabies' feed- - - -They're a dangerous breed, mate, so watch me wallabies' feed!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-LmRNdQiQ

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Try the first verse of that song- - - - -"Watch me wallabies' feed, mate- - - -watch me wallabies' feed- - - -They're a dangerous breed, mate, so watch me wallabies' feed!"

Jerry

Exactly Teach Exactly.....And here ya go Snake:

And the other version by Rolf Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofgud4wLLo