Home Main Category Personal Defense

Previews for NBC's "Revolution"

2»

Replies

  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I think the premise of the show is pretty much out there in La La Land. The only way to efficiently disable all the electrical devices on the planet would be a huge EMP across the whole planet.

    And that affects only the devices that are running when the EMP goes off, and only lasts while the EMP is going off. Makes me wonder what kind of "magic" they're going to introduce to make their story happen.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    So, if the show's premise were true....

    If one had basic knowledge of firearms maintenance, building, and some handloading and bullet casting abilities, they could be well set as an important person in this post-apocalyptic landscape?

    Selling your skills to the local warlord for food and shelter has it's perks. Fixing his gear and training his troops is a DAMN good way to stay off the firing line.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Selling your skills to the local warlord for food and shelter has it's perks. Fixing his gear and training his troops is a DAMN good way to stay off the firing line.

    lol perhaps.. but sense you've got the guns and know how.. why wouldn't YOU become the local warlord? I vote bigslug for supreme warlord!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Sugar is a substitute for sulpher? And can be used for gunpowder? Never heard that. Molasses contains sulpher, but sugar?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    All the indoor tractor pulls run alcohol-fueled Diesels- - - -one or two pulls inside even a big building with a smoke-belching tractor running on Diesel fuel would black out the whole place. All it takes is a different calibration on the injection pump.
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Sugar is a substitute for sulpher? And can be used for gunpowder? Never heard that. Molasses contains sulpher, but sugar?

    Sugar can be used as an ingredient for gunpowder, as a component of solid rocket propellant, and as a major component of explosives. The Palestinians have been using sugar by the metric ton for decades to make solid rocket fuel for the rockets they shoot into Israel. And sugar for the explosive warheads.

    Edit to add:
    The formula for sugar powder is: Sugar, potassium nitrate, and charcoal, BTW.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    And that affects only the devices that are running when the EMP goes off, and only lasts while the EMP is going off. Makes me wonder what kind of "magic" they're going to introduce to make their story happen.

    An EMP pulse of sufficient size causes a voltage surge that fries almost all solid state devices whether they are powered on or not. All power plants use solid state devices for control of the equipment, and for switching power from one line to another. For distribution equipment tied to the grid, transformers, transformer banks, switchyards, etc., the EMP can cause catastrophic failure of those devices from the voltage surge. The EMP is over fairly rapidly, but the effects are long lasting.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    An EMP pulse of sufficient size causes a voltage surge that fries almost all solid state devices whether they are powered on or not. All power plants use solid state devices for control of the equipment, and for switching power from one line to another. For distribution equipment tied to the grid, transformers, transformer banks, switchyards, etc., the EMP can cause catastrophic failure of those devices from the voltage surge. The EMP is over fairly rapidly, but the effects are long lasting.

    True. The only electronic devices that would survive a big EMP would be things that are isolated in a Faraday cage, or things that the circuits are old and big enough to handle the surge- i.e. old tube based radios and the like.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Ah, now I see. Powdered sugar.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    An EMP is easier than you think, all you need is one of these only massive.

    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/sun_darkness.html

    And it's happened before:

    Carrington Event of August-September 1859
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

    http://solar.physics.montana.edu/press/WashPost/Horizon/196l-031099-idx.html

    Social and Economic Impact:
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/21jan_severespaceweather/

    Complete NAS report for 2009 can be found here:
    http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12507

    interdependency_strip.jpg

    "Above: A web of interdependencies makes the modern economy especially sensitive to solar storms. Source: Dept. of Homeland Security. ...

    At the moment, no one knows when the next super solar storm will erupt. It could be 100 years away or just 100 days. It's something to think about the next time you flush."
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Quinian wrote: »
    lol perhaps.. but sense you've got the guns and know how.. why wouldn't YOU become the local warlord? I vote bigslug for supreme warlord!

    Given it some thought, but all that conquest is tiring. If word gets out that a warlord has gone soft, people start to disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time. . .
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Given it some thought, but all that conquest is tiring. If word gets out that a warlord has gone soft, people start to disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time. . .

    Randomly stab someone. If the peasants suspect you are completely batcrap crazy, you can probably relax more.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    LOL what movie is that from??

    Buffco makes a good point
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Given it some thought, but all that conquest is tiring. If word gets out that a warlord has gone soft, people start to disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work all the time. . .

    C'mon Bigslug,... "you're the Duke of New York, you're A no.1!" :up: :worthy: :up:
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement