Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ready to pull my .38 today

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Title should have read: Ready to pull my .38 today.

So how do you correct a thread title?

But, thank God I didn't have to. We were at a Walgreen's Drive through to pick up a prescription for Mrs Chief. Nothing behind us, then van with a wild looking woman pulls up behind us. I had my drivers window down, my wallet out and debit card in my hand for the transaction. Then the woman gets out in pajama pants and walks up to the window right next to my car. She was getting a little close for my comfort, so I roll up my window.

She starts pushing the call button over and over again. The pharmacist is waiting on us and doesn't respond right away. He comes back to the window and she says "I'm just here for a pick up". Well what's she think we are doing. He tells her something and she leaves in a huff saying she would come back later. Then the ignoramus can't get her van out (another vehicle was right behind her in line) and almost hits the rear of my car. I pull up a couple feet so she can get out and back up to the window to finish my transaction.

She must have been impatiently waiting on some Methadone or something and thought she was really special, I didn't. She may have crapped in her pants if she knew how close she was to getting five quick .38s in her sorry butt if she would have made any aggressive moves to get into my car or rob us.

Polite folks don't invade another persons privacy/space like that. At first I thought maybe she was gonna try and grab my wallet or debit card, so I slid them under my leg before I rolled up the window.

My alert level went up fast as I saw her approaching, just shy of pulling my revolver, but I was ready. She acted indigent and a little nutty, I'd say in her late 30s.

I'm glad nothing became of it, but a lot of crazy things have been happening around here lately, brazen stuff and a lot by women robbing, trying to out run cops and run over cops, drugs, robbery, assault, murder/attempted murder and you name it, it all has increased around here the past year or so.

I should say I would if events necessitated I would have fired my gun until the threat was stopped. One or all available five, depending. The best situation is not to having to use use it, of course.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Glad everything worked out okay! Good job on staying alert to your surroundings.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You did well.

I really dislike using drive up windows as the defensive options are so narrow and quick to escalate and the response needed, so quick, narrow, definite and finite...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A few years ago, a string of ATM robberies was finally solved when the cops captured two of my students who were skipping school in the middle of the day and hanging out close to a few drive-up ATM's in the neighborhood. Then they would slip back onto campus and ride the school bus home- - - - -just a couple of innocent little angels!
    Jerry
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    "Never use the drive thru! They **** you at the drive thru!"
    -Leo Goetz
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    GunnerK19 wrote: »
    "Never use the drive thru! They **** you at the drive thru!"
    -Leo Goetz

I've never have any problems with the Drive-thru there. I guess if things went south I just could have sped forward and got outta the danger zone. And on second thought if she would have continued to be such a nuisance and stayed there making a scene with the pharmacist, I could have just drove around the building and went inside. I do go inside if more than one car is ahead of me in line.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I use the drive through at the drugstore because I don't want to go inside and mingle with people who might be sick. I just finished round five of chemo and my immune system is in the toilet, so I keep avoiding others, but this is a good reminder to be diligent.

Thanks!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    You made the right decision based on your situation. Tactically, the presence of the woman in an unusal situation didn't present a threat at all, which means you could take a little more assesment of the situation before acting.

Probably trying to get a pain killer, which is the drug types of choice these days. Impatience is a pretty good sign. Of course, she may have had a sick child in the car.

Given a choice of driving away or shooting someone, I'll drive away every time.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    You made the right decision based on your situation. Tactically, the presence of the woman in an unusal situation didn't present a threat at all, which means you could take a little more assesment of the situation before acting.

Probably trying to get a pain killer, which is the drug types of choice these days. Impatience is a pretty good sign. Of course, she may have had a sick child in the car.

Given a choice of driving away or shooting someone, I'll drive away every time.

You bet, let the police deal with it if you can.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I use the drive through at the drugstore because I don't want to go inside and mingle with people who might be sick. I just finished round five of chemo and my immune system is in the toilet, so I keep avoiding others, but this is a good reminder to be diligent.

Thanks!

D

And Godspeed on a full recovery for you Bigdans. :angel2:
  • ShotgunnerDaveShotgunnerDave Banned Posts: 21 New Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Title should have read: Ready to pull my .38 today.

So how do you correct a thread title?

But, thank God I didn't have to. We were at a Walgreen's Drive through to pick up a prescription for Mrs Chief. Nothing behind us, then van with a wild looking woman pulls up behind us. I had my drivers window down, my wallet out and debit card in my hand for the transaction. Then the woman gets out in pajama pants and walks up to the window right next to my car. She was getting a little close for my comfort, so I roll up my window.

She starts pushing the call button over and over again. The pharmacist is waiting on us and doesn't respond right away. He comes back to the window and she says "I'm just here for a pick up". Well what's she think we are doing. He tells her something and she leaves in a huff saying she would come back later. Then the ignoramus can't get her van out (another vehicle was right behind her in line) and almost hits the rear of my car. I pull up a couple feet so she can get out and back up to the window to finish my transaction.

She must have been impatiently waiting on some Methadone or something and thought she was really special, I didn't. She may have crapped in her pants if she knew how close she was to getting five quick .38s in her sorry butt if she would have made any aggressive moves to get into my car or rob us.

Polite folks don't invade another persons privacy/space like that. At first I thought maybe she was gonna try and grab my wallet or debit card, so I slid them under my leg before I rolled up the window.

My alert level went up fast as I saw her approaching, just shy of pulling my revolver, but I was ready. She acted indigent and a little nutty, I'd say in her late 30s.

I'm glad nothing became of it, but a lot of crazy things have been happening around here lately, brazen stuff and a lot by women robbing, trying to out run cops and run over cops, drugs, robbery, assault, murder/attempted murder and you name it, it all has increased around here the past year or so.

I should say I would if events necessitated I would have fired my gun until the threat was stopped. One or all available five, depending. The best situation is not to having to use use it, of course.

Nothing against being alert,but what was she about to catch five .38's for?

Did she make a move toward you in a threatening fashion?

Or did you want to get a keyboard Kommando merit badge for telling your little story about "almost" gunning down a most likely unarmed woman,that didn't seem to pay you very much mind at all,nor care about cutting in line (though I will say she lacked in manners).

It's over re-actionary folks like yourself that give C.C.W. carriers a bad name.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, Dave.

I hope you start a thread in clubhouse and introduce yourself.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Was she a candidate for the banner?

Or did you want to get a keyboard Kommando merit badge for telling your little story about "almost" gunning down a most likely unarmed woman,that didn't seem to pay you very much mind at all,nor care about cutting in line (though I will say she lacked in manners).

It's over re-actionary folks like yourself that give C.C.W. carriers a bad name.

You have a lot to say for a new guy on here. If you had been around this forum for long you would have seen dozens of "Almost" situations. Yes, when she got within inches of my open car window I felt threatened and apprehensive about what she may do next.

Badges. My friend I don't need no stinking badges or more idiotic remarks from you.
    You have a lot to say for a new guy on here. If you had been around this forum for long you would have seen dozens of "Almost" situations. Yes, when she got within inches of my open car window I felt threatened and apprehensive about what she may do next.

Badges. My friend I don't need no stinking badges or more idiotic remarks from you.

Did she have her back turned to you?

or was she talking through your car (did you have the passenger side window down ect?)
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member

Dave, you might want to get to know the players before flaming on.... Unless that's your thing. I personally would like to have a new member from Ohio, but if you flame on, it is going to be a short visit... IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Polite folks don't invade another persons privacy/space like that.

Hard to find those this days, no manners, "me first" self indulgence is rampant and more and more the norm!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Dave, you might want to get to know the players before flaming on.... Unless that's your thing. I personally would like to have a new member from Ohio, but if you flame on, it is going to be a short visit... IMHO

D
    True I should have used better tact in my reply,sorry about that Big Chief
    I don't need no stinking badges .
    Hey, I have a badge:
    hywtccw.jpg
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    When I use the drive through ATM I fold my mirror against the truck and leave it in drive(if I put it in park thr doors unlock)

I try to get as close to the ATM as I can so nobody can walk up to my window.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Hey, I have a badge:
    hywtccw.jpg

Hey I have a badge too but it says fire captain
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    I always go in. With my wife's illness a year or so ago I spent so much time in there I'm friends with some of the pharmists(sp) and techs. Besides if I don't go in I can't see the newest selection of " as seen on TV" and "not sold in stores" merchandise.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    Originally Posted by ShotgunnerDave
    "Nothing against being alert,but what was she about to catch five .38's for?

It's over re-actionary folks like yourself that give C.C.W. carriers a bad name."

Ah heck, he got banned, AGAIN.
    Hey, I have a badge:
    hywtccw.jpg

Now all ya need is .327 Authorized in large letters on it!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If someone wants a badge that badly, there are enough small communities where one can play Sheriff in.......................
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

He might be banned, but he did have some very valid poings. She apparently was only threatening because she approached within a short distance from your window. She was also apparently unarmed, or didn't show any reasons to believe she was armed.

Question is, if you HAD went inside and a woman broke in line before you would you feel threatened to the point of thinking about your gun? I doubt it. For me, there has to be more threat than what you described to think about displaying a firearm, and I'm ready when the threat is overt to draw at any time. But I don't think this reached the level at which I and apparently you felt it necessary.

As for badges, a "CCW" badge will get you a lot of doubt among LEOs as a wannabe. Everyone in Florida used to have a badge if they donated to the local sheriff, a "honary deputy" badge, which most engendered in most cops a desire to write a ticket when they demanded a professional courtesy. It's an invitation to be looked at more closely. A badge is a symbol to us, and we take drugstore badges with less than a grain of salt. Especially when badguys use them to sometimes do bad things. My advice is if you have a CCW badge, throw it away.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Did you guys read the context the word "badge" was used in? Originally as "merit badges" not as anyone trying to pretend to be a cop.

Ned made a funny with his ccw badge. It's a joke. Clean doesn't let him wear it out in public. (anymore)
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Gene L wrote: »
    He might be banned, but he did have some very valid poings. She apparently was only threatening because she approached within a short distance from your window. She was also apparently unarmed, or didn't show any reasons to believe she was armed.

Question is, if you HAD went inside and a woman broke in line before you would you feel threatened to the point of thinking about your gun? I doubt it. For me, there has to be more threat than what you described to think about displaying a firearm, and I'm ready when the threat is overt to draw at any time. But I don't think this reached the level at which I and apparently you felt it necessary.

As for badges, a "CCW" badge will get you a lot of doubt among LEOs as a wannabe. Everyone in Florida used to have a badge if they donated to the local sheriff, a "honary deputy" badge, which most engendered in most cops a desire to write a ticket when they demanded a professional courtesy. It's an invitation to be looked at more closely. A badge is a symbol to us, and we take drugstore badges with less than a grain of salt. Especially when badguys use them to sometimes do bad things. My advice is if you have a CCW badge, throw it away.

I'm glad it didn't escalate to anything, but I had my guard up. The call button is very close to the service drawer and there is very little space between it and my vehicle and the store wall when you pull up. I consider my vehicle an extension of my castle/home. I had no idea what she was up to when she approached, that's when my apprehension was the highest and I had no idea who else was in the van. All I could see in my drivers side rear-view mirror was a disheveled woman approaching my car.

I rolled my window almost completely up so I wouldn't be vulnerable to an attack or a wallet/prescription grab. I had no idea what she was up to at first. She acted and talked like she was on cloud nine/doped up. I don't see anything wrong with being prepared to defend myself. I'm not one to itch at the chance to pull a CCW on anyone and never have. In fact, I usually carry my CCW in the console of my vehicle most of the time.

As far as what if I was inside the drugstore how I would have reacted. I would have been irritated like anyone else, of course. I don't know what to say to your question except I liken it to being in an ATM drive through or inside a bank. Inside is a totally different story than being outside in your vehicle when someone approaches.

I'm sorry, this woman didn't meet the " I'm a worried mother who needs to get my prescription fast for a sick child" criteria. More like she was on crack or something. She could have said she had an emergency to me or the pharmacist or used some common sense and went inside herself to explain her circumstances and necessity of being served first.

I wished I lived in a place or time when her being a woman in itself would have been nothing to worry about, not here and not anymore I'm afraid. I don't think I did anything wrong, in fact, I didn't do anything except roll my window up and keep my guard up besides being close to making a move to draw my CCW if things would have gone south. Color me guilty of being prepared and aware of my surrounding.

Now, I need to go out and buy a Taurus Judge and keep it loaded with .410s and ShotgunnerDave would be proud of me.:tooth:
    Did you guys read the context the word "badge" was used in? Originally as "merit badges" not as anyone trying to pretend to be a cop.

Ned made a funny with his ccw badge. It's a joke. Clean doesn't let him wear it out in public. (anymore)
    Not true, she lets me chase neighborhood 6 year old kids on their bicycles with it.
    Not true, she lets me chase neighborhood 6 year old kids on their bicycles with it.

So what was the Humphrey Bogart movie where that famous line was used "Badge, I don't need no stinking badge" I forgot?????
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre.