Home Main Category Personal Defense

Yes, your man-sack will draw attention....

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,158 Senior Member
This guy was a putz and will be raked over the coals, but the object of this thread is his man-sack...

scaled.php?tn=0&server=827&filename=i89r.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=215810

The man-sack caught the attention of the theater manager and the security guard (off duty LEO), leading to his arrest. The LEO knew just from seeing his sack what it contained. So, if you want to carry your sack, expect people to know what is in your sack. Especially if you are trying to enter a CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone).....
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ever hear of the musical group The Asylum Street Spankers?

''Your wrinkly crinkly bag of skin........'''
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    So, is the theater declared an illegal area to carry in? Was it posted? What are the penalties in Ohio for carrying in a private business that is posted as a "no carry zone?"

Does he even have a concealed carry permit?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Been to that theater before! Seriously though it's a very good point about the man-sack and it's obviousness. Based upon the fact that the guy pretty much consented to the search without incident it seems unlikely that he had any ill intentions in mind other stupidly carrying without a permit (assuming he didn't have one...the story doesn't specify).

No permit and the theater has a sign that says they have the right to search any backpack, purse, bag, or sack....
    So, is the theater declared an illegal area to carry in? Was it posted? What are the penalties in Ohio for carrying in a private business that is posted as a "no carry zone?"

Does he even have a concealed carry permit?

All Regal Cinema's are posted. If you are carrying legally, they ask you to leave (''Sign? What sign? I didn't see a sign?''). If you don't leave immediately they can get you with criminal trespassing.

He doesn't have and cannot get a permit due to ''substance dependancy''........ The knives he had were also illegal, even with a permit.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    All Regal Cinema's are posted. If you are carrying leagally, they ask you to leave. If you don't leave immediately they can get you with criminal trespassing.

He doesn't have and cannot get a permit due to ''substance dependancy''........ The knives he had were also illegal, even with a permit.
    Gotcha. So if he had a permit and they asked him to leave, he should have done so.

Scary thing is, what he had would be to quite a few, a standard load-out. Some might even add at backup gun.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It seems like the old adage, you pay your money, and you take your chances applies....... I have more fun at home anyway, I sleep through most epic movies anyway.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Gotcha. So if he had a permit and they asked him to leave, he should have done so.

Scary thing is, what he had would be to quite a few, a standard load-out. Some might even add at backup gun.

Of course, that is how it was supposed to be played. After the Colorado shooting, they will probably call the police first and not say anything to you or ask you to leave.

I imagine you will get to look down the barrels of a couple Glocks before it is over
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Well there you have it. Criminal off the street. Godd for them and I'm glad he didn't put up a fight.

Yep. He was doing it illegally, but there has been talk of legal CCW holders carrying in these posted cinemas despite the signs. ''Concealed means concealed, they will never know.''

Well, they will if you try to use your sack to do it.
  • banshee909banshee909 New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    jbp-ohio "the theater has a sign that says they have the right to search any backpack, purse, bag, or sack"

Do businesses really have the right to search suspect people? I don't really know but if some rent a cop security person wanted to search me I'd have to insist that the police or sheriffs dept did it.
    Their property, their rules, personally, I will simply stay off their property.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,733 Senior Member
    Difference between a store searching you (or theater) and the government searching you (cops). If a cop has Probable Cause, that's all he needs. I have no idea what a theater needs, but I think a search without consent would be contestable and possibly grounds for a lawsuite on the face of it, if nothing found. I'm sure all this has been litigated and there are laws on the books. But then, on the other hand you give permission by entering the theater. It's all complicated.

Guy was stupid, a "substance abuser" and I'm glad he's not packing.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I think that the searching of personal gear is conditional with entry. If you don't pay for the service and enter, they can't search your stuff. By paying, you enter into a contract, one of the terms is that you'll allow your stuff to be searched.

I think that's how it works out.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I also think that is how it works, by entering and paying you agree to their terms of service......

No outside food or drinks allowed, I think that is where it started whereby they could check to see if you were trying to smuggle illegally concealed candy /food & beverages / provisions in with you.... for those long wilderness movies. :rotflmao:
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    I'd rather go fishing myself.

I suspect they were more worried about food, candy and drink when they established the search policy. They just got worried after the publicized shooting.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Is that what you nicknamed it????
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Here they also have the "right to search signs", for some time now too, reason is not to avoid CCW at movie theaters which I understand is allowed, it is so folks will not bring in candy and food as "contraband".

Not a clue on the law and how it applies and where regarding private property rights to searches, not allowing legal CCW and so on but as mentioned, their property, their rules, if you want to ride in my car or enter my house you don't get to smoke whatever it is legal to do, you want to do so? Then walk, go outside. Movie theather won't let you CCW, don't give them your money, simple.

Are CCW holders rights above those of others?

Also, way to send the right message to the anti gun crowd, just make sure they don't see you got a gun on you and it is okay to sneak it where not allowed by whomever, you got a CCW so you are above the rest!!!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    A bag like that is about the same as a "shoot-me-first" vest. Anybody who has spent a significant amount of time on a range, including cops, knows what it is. The same goes for wearing 5.11 pants and a web belt out and about--if you look the part, don't be surprised of the reaction. This guy was just a moron and will make life harder for those who carry legally.
    What a shame, We used to smuggle in pork fried rice & egg rolls............

That is why I prefer to watch stuff at home, then I can eat & drink !
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Looks like the phrase "waiting for the cable release" is gonna get a lot more popular.

I'm rapidly getting to that point. While there are movies I'll NEED to see on the big screen, and some more than once, I'm liking the overall experience less these days. This is largely due to the fact that on entering the theater, you now have CONSTANT commercials airing on screen, even before the obligatory sentence of "Death by Previews". The fact that the knee-jerk reaction from Colorado seems to want to turn them into 'Safe-to-Murder' zones isn't helping my mood.

But to walk around with your large brown sack exposed is not a good way to maintain a low CCW profile. Perhaps if you go the transvestite route, your sack will be mistaken for a purse, but this also fails on maintaining a low profile.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    No permit and the theater has a sign that says they have the right to search any backpack, purse, bag, or sack....

Actually, they don't. But they can ask. I can say no and take my money to another theater.

-Jason
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Actually, they don't. But they can ask. I can say no and take my money to another theater.

-Jason

Since the security guard was also an off duty LEO, what powers does he hold on the security job???? Is it the same as his LEO job???
    I like the Spanish translation. "El hombre saco".

You should design your own line under that name......
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Vamos a echar un vistazo a mi saco de hombre. Su grande y robusto. Es el más grande, más resistente saco de todo. Sus amigos le tienen envidia saco.
    Let's take a look at my bag man. Its large and robust. It is the biggest, toughest bag everything. His friends are jealous sack.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Si usted tiene una gran carga para llevar a cabo en la ciudad, es necesario saco de hombre macho del CPJ
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    Using a gun purse is almost as obvious as open carry . There was an article a few weeks ago from Conneticut of a guy who was "made" during Batman & the cops stormed it . BTW all sack issues aside I'm with Wambli on this one - glad they got him .
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
    We are going to the movies this weekend with some friends. Im half tempted to empty my Sack before we go, and just keep my wallet and what-nots in it. If they want to search it, Ill let them. What would be funny would be to put some sort of giant personal massage device in my Sack and let the unsuspecting theater worker find it.

But that would cause a scene, likely make the news, and cause me grief. It would then cause my wife to remove my Sack. And we cant have that.

I was going to post scene from Naked Gun 2 1/2 with the gas powered apparatus, but once I saw it again, it's a bit to adult...... Would have been funny though
    "Si usted tiene una gran carga para llevar a cabo en la ciudad, es necesario saco de hombre macho del CPJ"

Translation: If you have a great load to bring to fruition in the City, is necessary sack of man manly of the CPJ !!!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    "Si usted tiene una gran carga para llevar a cabo en la ciudad, es necesario saco de hombre macho del CPJ"

Translation: If you have a great load to bring to fruition in the City, is necessary sack of man manly of the CPJ !!!

No wonder I couldn't work it out - I don't habla espanol, but I can usually get the general idea, just because I've been reading bilingual signs for all these years. :silly:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    No wonder I couldn't work it out - I don't habla espanol, but I can usually get the general idea, just because I've been reading bilingual signs for all these years. :silly:

bilingual ? Oh, that's when you have oral sex in a foreign country............:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    DoctorWho wrote: »

''If you have a large load to carry out on the town, you need a CPJ industries 'Macho-Man Sack''

macho-man-randy-savage-womens-t-shirt-39992-p.png