The first phase of my plan has gone according to plan.

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 4,692 Senior Member
Machell and I like to eat antelope. Antelope are relatively small critters, and it doesn't take much eating until you're staring at the bottom of the freezer. It would be REALLY NICE if you could shoot more than one antelope.

Well, my good friend JerryBobCo mentioned to me that he thought my preferred target (doe) in the unit we hunt was going to be a type "B" tag this year.....meaning you could purchase two.

He was right. I opted to forego the "draw" process entirely this year, and gamble that there'd be leftover doe tags for our unit after the draw. Last year, there were 645 leftover doe tags available OTC. I liked those odds.

This year wasn't as good, there being only 215 leftovers. This concerned me somewhat. But, I was at the DOW office when they went on sale this morning. I got there almost an hour early, and I was still number 132 in line. This concerned me somewhat, too, but an hour and fifteen minutes later I was cranking my truck with two doe tags in my wallet.

So....the first part of my plan has gone well, but you know what happens to plans when the first shot's fired........................

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Good for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,692 Senior Member
    Ernie,

I traveled through WY SE to NW going to Yellowstone Natl Park back in the fall of '04. I can't begin to imagine how many speed goats I saw on that trip, especially in the Wind River valley. I figured, "Wow....if goats get scarce in CO, this would be the place to go."

Just for kicks earlier today I googled Wyoming antelope hunting, and it seems that not only is drawing a non-res tag anything but a sure thing, but even finding a place to hunt can be very problematic. Our antelope herd here in CO numbers around 70K, and WY shows up at a bit over 400K. I sure wouldn't have thought with numbers like that, WY would be that difficult of a place to "get to", if you know what I mean.

Is what I'm reading true, or simply "sour grapes"?

BTW.....I ran across your antelope hunting article online the other night. I didn't notice your name as the author at first, but about three paragraphs into it I was thinking "I know this guy". I looked back up the page, and bingo! Great article!

Mike
    N454casull
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Nice man! I'm not sure if our goat tags go on sale as Bs or not. I do know that you can buy up as many deer B as you'd like though.. thinkin if I tag out day one like last time I'll go grab a few more. I likes me some deer.
    We're only allowed 2 B tags, but I just checked the DOW's website that shows available leftovers that's updated every hour. Of the 215 tags in my unit that they had this morning, there's only 51 currently left. Today they had to be purchased in-person, but at midnight tonight they go on sale online. Even if I could get more than two, I doubt there'll be any left by daylight tomorrow.

Mike
    N454casull
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,842 Senior Member
    That's great! The only way Idahoans get a second deer tag is to pay the non-resident fee. It's about $300. Not worth it in my opinion.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    Thanks! I don't write a lot, but I enjoy the articles I do write.
    I am very fortunate to hunt on private land. If not it would be much more difficult for me to find a place to hunt without paying.
    Public land is harder to hunt on for sure. As a local I could find other places to hunt by means of getting permission, but it would be smaller tracts of land for sure.
    As a resident I picked up two doe antelope tags and two buck antelope tags. I could have got more doe tags, but not going to tag out more meat than what I know others will use without any being wasted.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Ernie,

I traveled through WY SE to NW going to Yellowstone Natl Park back in the fall of '04. I can't begin to imagine how many speed goats I saw on that trip, especially in the Wind River valley. I figured, "Wow....if goats get scarce in CO, this would be the place to go."

Just for kicks earlier today I googled Wyoming antelope hunting, and it seems that not only is drawing a non-res tag anything but a sure thing, but even finding a place to hunt can be very problematic. Our antelope herd here in CO numbers around 70K, and WY shows up at a bit over 400K. I sure wouldn't have thought with numbers like that, WY would be that difficult of a place to "get to", if you know what I mean.

BTW.....I ran across your antelope hunting article online the other night. I didn't notice your name as the author at first, but about three paragraphs into it I was thinking "I know this guy". I looked back up the page, and bingo! Great article!

Mike
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    We hunt private land, too. 95% of Colorado's eastern plains is private, but getting permission to hunt antelope is pretty easy. Deer, though, is a different critter. The same rancher that wishes you could shoot five antelope on his place will likely tell you don't even think about asking permission for deer. That's okay, though. Most of the deer live in the foothills. OTOH, some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen live on the plains.

Oh, and on your article.....that was probably the most down to earth, informative antelope hunting piece I've ever read. Some pros could take some lessons there.

Mike
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    good luck with them.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    Does the wife hunt yet ?

That could be 4 tags
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    The same rancher that wishes you could shoot five antelope on his place will likely tell you don't even think about asking permission for deer. Mike

Just to put this in perspective, Mike's remark about 'you could shoot five antelope' is based on reality. About 10-12 years ago, I drove up to a house out in the middle of nowhere in Colorado's eastern plains, knocked on the door, and asked the man who answered if I could hunt antelope on this place. Keep in mind that this guy didn't know me from Adam, nor had anyone suggested to me that he allowed hunters on his place.

When I asked if I could hunt antelope, his immediate response was "Yeah, but you have to shoot 5."

Since then, Mike and I have shot a boatload of prairie dogs on his mother's place. The landowners never charged a cent, or even hinted at wanting us to pay a lease fee. The most I've ever paid for hunting antelope in Colorado is a bottle of Jack Daniels.

There was also a time when the place I had planned to hunt didn't pan out, and I didn't find out about it until a week before season started. I drove to the area, and started knocking on doors. By the end of the day, I had permission to hunt on about 15k acres.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Sounds like some ranchers my friend and I know in the Yoder area, east of Colorado Springs, just not that much acreage
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Sounds like some ranchers my friend and I know in the Yoder area, east of Colorado Springs, just not that much acreage

Ernie, we hunt further east than Yoder. If you're familiar with the area, we hunt between Ordway and Eads.
    Jerry

I know the area.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ahhh.....Yoder. Yes, I know it well. ScooterTrash and I singlehandedly (well, not quite, since there was two of us) wiped out two really decent sized dogtowns about a mile from the Miami-Yoder school.

Funny how I got access to this place. I went in to work one day (back in the days when I was working in the store) and a guy had come in and handed the girl behind the register a box (20) of fired .223 cases along with his phone number and a note that said "please call me". He told her to "make sure Mike gets these".

I didn't know him from Adam and he didn't know me, but somehow he'd heard I was seriously into the "eradication of pdogs via rifle fire" game, and he had a "big problem".

His "big problem" was his 40 acre pasture behind his house where his granddaughter liked to ride her pony. A family of pdogs had recently taken up residence there, and he and his son were doing nothing but spooking them with the rimfires. While the dogs themselves didn't really bother him too much, he was concerned that they'd draw rattlers into his grand daughters play area. He asked if I thought I could help him out.

I went to his place and he was right....their .22's had spooked the dogs all right. Over the course of a really long afternoon, and a longish morning, I fired nine shots. But, that solved his problem. He even asked me, when I was through, how much he owed me!:tooth:

I told him "nothing", then asked if he had any neighbors with a pdog problem. He said, "Better than that....me and my partner have about a thousand acres slap ate up with them about three miles up the road".

He sure did. They were spread out over one large and one small town. Scooter and I probably killed 3-4 thousand in those two fields over the course of two springs and a summer.

Mike
    N454casull
    Steve and I actually hunted on Yoder's property. Can't think of his first name at the moment-Super nice guy.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,511 Senior Member
    Ernie,

Mike

That pretty much sums up my WY antelope hunting experience.
    I picked through every available resource, plotted draw odds against available tags, public ground, etc.
    Long story short, we drew, and there was a reason. The majority of the public ground was a mountain. However, there were speed goats everywhere.
    On private ground. They knew exactly where the fences were, and they never crossed them.

I'd love to go chase them again, but I'm kinda leery.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    That pretty much sums up my WY antelope hunting experience.
    I picked through every available resource, plotted draw odds against available tags, public ground, etc.
    Long story short, we drew, and there was a reason. The majority of the public ground was a mountain. However, there were speed goats everywhere.
    On private ground. They knew exactly where the fences were, and they never crossed them.

I'd love to go chase them again, but I'm kinda leery.

That bums me out. Antelope are the first thing I am planning on trying for, and I have tentatively planned on going in 2014. Wyoming was my choice because I was thinking that drawing for them and the success rate would be higher than Colorado.

Just crap.
    Although, I am not planning on going it alone. I wasn't raised in a hunting family and I am not going to fly across the country just to depend on my own skill, not to mention in terrain for game I've never hunted.

One reason I want speed goats as my first foray into trophy hunting is the relatively cheap price for a guided hunt, as compared to other big game.
    If you are looking for a guided hunt, getting on property will not be an issue.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Although, I am not planning on going it alone. I wasn't raised in a hunting family and I am not going to fly across the country just to depend on my own skill, not to mention in terrain for game I've never hunted.

One reason I want speed goats as my first foray into trophy hunting is the relatively cheap price for a guided hunt, as compared to other big game.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    If you are looking for a guided hunt, getting on property will not be an issue.

Yep. I did it DIY.

Also, if you know a few years ahead of time, and you want to do a DIY hunt, you can start putting in for preference points now, and that'll increase your draw odds dramatically.

I gotta say, it may not have been as bad as I made it sound. I did finally find a small group of them, last hour, last day, and had a shot. Couple of them, in fact. Decent buck.
    It was my lack of antelope hunting skill that resulted in my unfilled tag. I messed up by heading directly over the top of a hill, and they were just over the crest. I skylined myself. Twice. Shoulda went around the side.
    Then, 25 years of shooting at running and flying things with a shotgun kicked in. I OVER lead a running antelope, and shot in front of him, with a 6.5-284. Twice.

Linefinder, sorry for the hijack. I'm glad your plan is coming together, sounds like a great time!
    It was my lack of antelope hunting skill that resulted in my unfilled tag.

Yep. I can't even reliably find deer around here, and I know the terrain. You might as well put me on the moon. No way I'm not either hiring a guide or going with someone who knows what they're doing.

Sorry for the hijack, Mike. Keep us posted. We want pics.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Yep. I can't even reliably find deer around here, and I know the terrain. You might as well put me on the moon. No way I'm not either hiring a guide or going with someone who knows what they're doing.

Sorry for the hijack, Mike. Keep us posted. We want pics.

Yep. Keep us posted on that, too. If you need some company, let me know!
    If you're interested in making a guided goat hunt in eastern Colorado, IM me. I might be able to help.
    Jerry

And the second part of this plan is working out well.

Got to the range this morning with Ken55 to check zero and verify comeups on my 6mm Rem with my antelope load.

The wind was roaring, but the 6mm delivered a .355" 3-shot group at 100 yards and a .903" 4-shot 300 yard group. (Fifth shot landed about 2" downwind, and I knew I pulled it when the trigger broke, so I'm discounting that one). The .903 spread was in the horizontal, which I attribute to the wind. I really was interested in only the vertical on this trip, and it measured .477".

And just to show you that you can't believe all that you read in ballistics charts (or programs), the wind was inconsistent between 20-35 mph from 9 o'clock, and my 300 yard shots should have drifted a minimum of 8" according to Ohlers "Ballistic Explorer" software. Nope. Drift was only 1.15". Apparently those 95 grain NBT's launched at 3250 fps don't mind the wind much, until the velocity has bled off some. At 300 yards, they're still in the 2800 fps range.

This darn rifle shoots like a laser, but I already knew that. I'd really like it if it didn't weigh so much. It's fun to shoot, but not so much to tote.

Mike
    N454casull
    6mm delivered a .355" 3-shot group at 100 yards and a .903" 4-shot 300 yard group.
    Mike

Awesome!
    Do those NBT's copper foul your rifle, badly?
    Awesome!
    Do those NBT's copper foul your rifle, badly?

Nope, not that I've been able to tell. When after pdogs, I shoot 75 grain VMaxes, and I've fired over three hundred in a day without cleaning, with no noticeable degrade in accuracy. The 95 NBT's, being a big-game load, have never been tested to this extreme, but I've shot at many as 30 at a time while working up loads. Accuracy remained consistent, and no major fouling per the borescope.

The only bullets I've found that really foul one of my bores are the 160 Partitions in my .270 Win. After ten of those, the last ten inches of my bore looks like the bottom of RevereWare cooking pans. But, it'll routinely land three of those in 3/8" at 100 yards, and I don't expect to have to shoot it at a critter more than that. Unless, of course, it's over 39 yards away.....Contrary to some folks belief, the .270 Win does have its limitations.

Mike
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    Is that why you had to shoot your buffalo so many times? Your bullets were coming out of orbit upon impact?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Sort of. The first one was 80 yards away, and it takes a lot of shooting when you're rolling bullets into their little hoofs.

Mike
    N454casull
    Great shooting for sure!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks, Ernie. I hate to admit it, especially here, but with the exception of one 7mm Rem Mag round thru JerryBobCo's rifle that I fired into a tree last elk season, just to see how I liked it, today was the first time I've pulled a trigger since last October.

Been busy this year. I've gotta get more range time in.

Mike
    N454casull