The first phase of my plan has gone according to plan.

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    My assumption then would be that there has been in the past some good shooting habits developed.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,641 Senior Member
    My assumption then would be that there has been in the past some good shooting habits developed.

Naw....this rifle shoots so well that if you point it in the same hemisphere as your target, it's going down. It's actually easier to shoot this rig accurately than my BR rig. The BR rig is all about form and being on your game. The 6mm is much more forgiving if I'm not at the top of my game.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Well built rigs are easier to shoot accurately:cool2:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    My 30BR is an honest sub-1/4 rig, but I've really, really got to be "on" to consistently get those groups. My 6mm, OTOH, is an honest 1/2" rig, and I can generally get those out of it without too much effort. The 6mm is just a whole lot easier to shoot to its potential than is the "highly customized super-accurate 30BR benchrest rifle". Even with the 6mms 12 oz trigger compared to the 1 oz. trigger on the 30. Funny, the 6mm is a Rem 700 action on a Krieger barrel, and the 30 is a Rem 722 action on a Krieger.

I sure don't know what the difference is, but the 6mm is just a lot more user friendly, and seems to take a bit more pilot-error in stride. If I **** a shot with the 30BR, it gets its feelings hurt and won't shoot for beans the rest of the day.

Mike
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,734 Senior Member
    I agree, some guns just shoot easy. Others, require a lot of work. Those are no fun.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Sounds good Mike :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    Mike - I can't wait to hear how this one goes. The gun is doing its part, now you just have to find a doe to put it on. I've been away from the board more than normal lately, practicing with my bow, but I have been following quite a few threads, this being one of them. I hope to maybe score a doe tag in the coming year or two, or at least perhaps follow you guys on a hunt to learn how the antegoat game is played.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Well, the stars were sure lining up for this to be the best antelope season ever.

Unfortunately, the third phase of this plan isn't going according to plan at all. Got word at work yesterday that I'm going to be the "technical advisor" on the construction/renovations to our new facility in the Dominican Republic. Heading down on the first trip Sep 30th thru Oct 6th. Get back at around 7:30 pm the night of opening day. I'm pretty sure that after a 13 hour plane trip, I'm not going to feel like driving the next day to hunt.

So....that leaves Mon thru Wed (vacation days) to try to shoot a couple does. Since Jerry can't make it at that time of the week, I guess I'll be winging it alone. I'm sure gonna miss his spotting and ranging, that's for sure. Of course, three days into the season, there's a good chance I won't see anything to range, since the goats have been getting wild spookey earlier and earlier each year.

I haven't totally given up on this year, but I'm sure bummed about it.

Oh, well....it's a good opportunity at work. Sounds like I'll be in the DR for a week each month for the next 6-8 months.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    This is one of the many reasons I hate work: it gets in the way of field work. Like you, I hate missing opening day. Educated animals are almost never easier to hunt, but like you said, you have to make the best of it. Last year, I missed Nebraska's deer opener and still managed to fill both of my tags the day before the hunt was over, so there's always hope as long as you can get feet on the ground.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    bummer Mike, Hope things work out better than you expect
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Sorry to hear that.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    Things can still work out for you, Mike. I've taken a few after opening day. I even shot one so late on the last day that the season was over by the time I had it field dressed and loaded in my truck.

Good luck, buddy. I was looking forward to helping out.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    Good Hustle! We failed in South Dakota to draw. Tags are way down.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain