Home Main Category Personal Defense

Cops shoot Pit Bull

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,462 Senior Member
Warning, this video is graphic.

Don't know all the specifics, but the dog attacked a woman first, then charged the officers. I'm a dog guy, but I would have done the same thing. A charging pit is nothing to play with....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwUD1HNVy5A&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock
«1

Replies

  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    I've often said that I think I'm much more likely to use my CCW on a dog than a BG.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Video removed by user.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I've often said that I think I'm much more likely to use my CCW on a dog than a BG.......
    I actually had to draw my carry piece earlier today because a feral dog decided he wasn't going to let me on MY front porch. She had a change of heart and left, but came back later still acting aggressive. Was "nice" and called animal control they told me they could have someone out tomorrow to deal with it or I could handle it myself.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Ok, the video was pulled. It showed a man having seizures, with a pit bull by his side. The dog went after someone in the crowd then after the officers. Then the dog charged for the officers. The one cop drew and shot the dog, where it then yelped a fee times before stopping movement.

    My only beef was the single shot and amount of suffering.

    The only time I have pulled my CCW was on a stray Shepard. My dog got out and was attacked pretty bad. I saw this one in the middle of the road a few days later. It was standing there not moving despite a car honking its horn at it. I called animal patrol and they said they couldn't make it out. This dog was rough looking and you could tell it wasn't right. I drove up to get a closer look and it refused to move. I opened the door telling yelling at it to move. It charged at me jumping in the air. I drew and dumped mag. The dog was foamed at the mouth pretty bad..
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Been there, done that. I've got mixed emotions about it.

    The dog is a product of its raising. Scum bags raise fighting dogs all the time and it is ridiculous. They attack people with alarming frequency.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    This one looks like it belonged to the guy with the seizures. It sucks that it was probably some homeless guys dog that was just protecting its owner. Most dogs do that no matter how you raise them. But you are not going to live long if your dog doesn't let the emergency workers help you while having a status seizure....

    The whole situation sucks, but I doubt I would take a bite before I shot. I am a dog lover, but not dog food....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I have dominion over every creeping thing that creepeth. Dogs included. I wont be bitten if I can help it.

    :that:

    I know I've posted this before, but a few weeks before my 18th birthday, two loose dobermans jumped a fence not far from my house and ate, literally consumed, a girl that was playing in her back yard.

    This was, quite honestly, the main reason that I got my carry permit when I turned 18. I have since expanded my overall threat assessment/awareness, especially with all of the tweakers here locally, but the main threat that I'm likely to encounter will be coming on four legs, not two.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I have dominion over every creeping thing that creepeth. Dogs included. I wont be bitten if I can help it.

    I got charged by a 80# Weimaraner and didn't even move a finger towards my gun. If a pit even looks at me or mine the wrong way, my gun will at the ready...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Two loose dobermans jumped a fence not far from my house and ate, literally consumed, a girl that was playing in her back yard.

    Wait....a dog that wasn't a pit attacked someone? Amazing....that NEVER happens. Not to belittle your point and I agree with you, I got my guns as much for the four legged creatures as the two legged.

    It's just the way some carry on and the media doesn't help, you'd think no dog other than a pit EVER attacked anyone. It's now a buzzword along with "assault rifle" and "cop killer bullet"
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Years ago a pack of dogs attacked my dog whilr he was laying under my Land Cruiser and tore him up pretty bad,I ran out of the house with the first thing I could get my hands on,a 5 wood,only got one good shot on the one that was on my dog at the time.

    However a few days later I saw the same pack hanging around the edge of town by the cotton fields,long story short,a handful of #4s and a 16ga SxS made sure no more family pets would be attacked.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Should have saved the taxpayers some bucks...
    I did. But at least there's a paper trail showing I TRIED the "right" (sheeple approved) way

    Total cost to one taxpayer was less than a fifty cents (Including gas)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I saw the video yesterday. It happened pretty quickly and the dog was protecting its "owner" but it was on a crowed street and the dog was going after anyone that walked by. Then it went after the cop and was on him in seconds. It was a pretty good reaction and impressive on the officer's part with the time he had to draw and fire and remove the threat. Though he did shoot towards people. The dog ended up rolling around and squealing on the street. And while that does pull on your heart strings the fact was the dog was a danger to others. Yeah it was trying to protect the man but you just cant let it go around biting everyone until the dog catcher shows up. When I first watched it I must admit my emotions took over and for a minute I was all like "awwwwww poor puppy why did he have to go do that!?!?!" but watch it over and get past those "feelings" and you can see the officer did what he had to do.

    But yeah the officers draw fire and hit the target with just a second or two to react was pretty good. I saw the video on The Blaze.
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ahh. I misread the post.

    No worries, and it was handled later in the day with less fuss than the PM-40
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Many years ago a dog attacked a little boy in the town I was policing, on his way home from school. This was before the current litigation society. The family wouldn't put the dog down. Someone else did, late at night. They never solved that one.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I am at least glad that there is nobody here that is putting the "vicious" label on all Pit Bulls. I have owned 3, all of which were very sweet, obedient companions. To many people here stories of Pits that are raised and abused by Jamal (yep I said it,) and they think that all PitBulls are ferocious. Ask DrWho about his buddy. I haven't seen the video as it was yanked, but judging by the posts, Im guessing that everyone was spot on. Dog was protecting his owner but the officer obviously needed to protect himself and the public.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    There are a lot of pit bull attack vids on youtube. I have no use for the breed or their owners.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    There are a lot of pit bull attack vids on youtube. I have no use for the breed or their owners.

    As are there many douchie Pit owners. So am I less than desirable since I have owned and appreciate said breed???
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Lighten up jack. Don't take everything so personal.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I just hate that so many people put such a bad name to such a great breed of animal. Just as a 300 pound man can be either powerfull and nice or powerfull and mean. It is the raising and upbringing of said person. Had I no experience with Pitbulls, I wouldn't feel so strong as I do. Yet ALL 3 Pits I have owned were big, licky face babies that loved to cuddle. Far from vicious.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Yup. Licky face babies. People who raise babies around pits are licky face idiots.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Yup. Licky face babies. People who raise babies around pits are licky face idiots.
    I never mentioned babies being raised around Pits. Again, now you have earned a spot as ignorant in my mind.
    ETA... My tiny Jack Russel Terrior is more aggressive and ballsey than anu other dog I have experienced in my life. She actually had my Pit and Rotti cornered and scared to death shaking.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    I never mentioned babies being raised around Pits. Again, now you have earned a spot as ignorant in my mind.
    ETA... My tiny Jack Russel Terrior is more aggressive and ballsey than anu other dog I have experienced in my life. She actually had my Pit and Rotti cornered and scared to death shaking.

    Would you rather be bitten by 10 poodles or by a Pitt???

    Pits get their bad reputation because when they do bite, someone goes to the hospital.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Been there, done that. I've got mixed emotions about it.

    The dog is a product of its raising. Scum bags raise fighting dogs all the time and it is ridiculous. They attack people with alarming frequency.

    Exactly. My son has a pitt bull that is getting up in age. That dog has never been trained to fight. However, it did defend itself once when my exwife's bird dog attacked it. The Pitt bull won the fight and cost my ex a bunch of vet bills. But she has never been aggressive toward people or other animals. Just don't threaten her and you're all right.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Would you rather be bitten by 10 poodles or by a Pitt???

    Pits get their bad reputation because when they do bite, someone goes to the hospital.

    Would you rather 1000 lbs of feathers fall on you or 1000 lbs of steel fall on you? Walk away from learned stereotypes.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Would you rather 1000 lbs of feathers fall on you or 1000 lbs of steel fall on you? Walk away from learned stereotypes.

    I nominate this as the dumbest post of...... ever! You're saying getting attacked by a poodle = a pitbull attack???

    A 10 year old girl could pick up a stick and beat the crap out of your Jack Russel. Pitbulls have killed grown men many many times....

    Look at facts... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

    You see any poodles on that list? There is one Jack Russel, but it killed a 6 week old baby. Look at what kills all of the adults.....

    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

    Why do pits and rotts account for 73% of dog attack deaths? Because they attack the most?? No, it's because they have the strength to kill.
    By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2011, Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, shows the breeds most responsible for serious injury and death.

    The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers, their close mixes and wolf hybrids:
    77% of attacks that induce bodily harm
    73% of attacks to children
    81% of attack to adults
    68% of attacks that result in fatalities
    76% that result in maiming

    Look at the stat for attacks on adults. Do you think that pits and rotts really account for 81% of all attacks on adults??? I can guarantee you they don't. Attacks by other breeds don't even get reported (and recorded for these studies to include) because they don't cause a serious injury!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tnxdshootertnxdshooter Member Posts: 55 Member
    Eli wrote: »
    :that:

    I know I've posted this before, but a few weeks before my 18th birthday, two loose dobermans jumped a fence not far from my house and ate, literally consumed, a girl that was playing in her back yard.

    This was, quite honestly, the main reason that I got my carry permit when I turned 18. I have since expanded my overall threat assessment/awareness, especially with all of the tweakers here locally, but the main threat that I'm likely to encounter will be coming on four legs, not two.

    Damn, where do you live that they allow people to have carey permits at 18? I need to move there. Most states I know of it is 21 and older.


    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I never mentioned babies being raised around Pits. Again, now you have earned a spot as ignorant in my mind.
    ETA... My tiny Jack Russel Terrior is more aggressive and ballsey than anu other dog I have experienced in my life. She actually had my Pit and Rotti cornered and scared to death shaking.

    My status in "your" mind is the absolute least of my worries in this world.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I nominate this as the dumbest post of...... ever! You're saying getting attacked by a poodle = a pitbull attack???

    A 10 year old girl could pick up a stick and beat the crap out of your Jack Russel. Pitbulls have killed grown men many many times....

    Look at facts... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

    You see any poodles on that list? There is one Jack Russel, but it killed a 6 week old baby. Look at what kills all of the adults.....

    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

    Why do pits and rotts account for 73% of dog attack deaths? Because they attack the most?? No, it's because they have the strength to kill.



    Look at the stat for attacks on adults. Do you think that pits and rotts really account for 81% of all attacks on adults??? I can guarantee you they don't. Attacks by other breeds don't even get reported (and recorded for these studies to include) because they don't cause a serious injury!!!
    You are still being closed minded and lacking the ability of what I am saying. I am saying that people grasp the urban legends of Pits as being vicious, man eating dogs with "locking jaws," when that is simply not true. They do have a ton of strength but they fall victim to being raised by douchebag owners that abuse them and make them that way. Of course they will get more notoriety than say a jack russel or poodle or any other dog that can be just as vicious when also mistreated, merely because there is more impact to their bite. Yet again, I reinforce that it is NOT THE DOGS FAULT. If it was, than why did I have 3 of them that were completely tame and loyal?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    You are still being closed minded and lacking the ability of what I am saying. I am saying that people grasp the urban legends of Pits as being vicious, man eating dogs with "locking jaws," when that is simply not true. They do have a ton of strength but they fall victim to being raised by douchebag owners that abuse them and make them that way. Of course they will get more notoriety than say a jack russel or poodle or any other dog that can be just as vicious when also mistreated, merely because there is more impact to their bite. Yet again, I reinforce that it is NOT THE DOGS FAULT. If it was, than why did I have 3 of them that were completely tame and loyal?

    No. You don't listen. That is where we agree. Other dogs are much more likely to bite someone. I imagine poodles are 500% more likely to bite you than a pit bull. When a poodle bites you, you kick it across the room and slap on a bandaid. When a pit decides to bite, you call an ambulance.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Okay so we do agree. I thought that you were one of the stereotypical bunch there for a second lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement