Home Main Category Personal Defense

Cops shoot Pit Bull

2»

Replies

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Its not a stereotype if its true.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Well, I think pits are a problem. It's not their aggression, it's their power.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Its not a stereotype if its true.
    Let me guess, your ideology is based off of media BS and you have never owned a Pitbull??? I also assume that all cops are bad too by your logic or lack of.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I was corrected on one salient point, many dogs that are referred to as "Pit Bulls" when they are not, lots of massive dogs referred to as pit bulls are mixed breeds of massive dogs to get a "Bully Dog", one of these attacked My pit bull and injured his ear, this dog outweighed mine by at least 60 pounds.

Add bad treatment and fight training to the mix, and you get a badly behaved aggressive dog..... Much like gun control, people blame factors other than bad owners as the culprit.

Example: Assault weapons, high capacity magazines, they argue these have no place in society, both guns and dogs have owners, and the owners are responsible for their dogs and guns as far as safety goes, if My dog becomes aggressive, I need to do something before he bites someone..... Not after he bites someone...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • yotesalotyotesalot New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    I wonder how much is the actual breeding itself.. I know that with other breeds like ,say Walkers, they are bred for different jobs like coons, coyotes, different cats,etc.. Inside each of those different jobs, some are better than others at "said" job... some better on cold tracks, some better on tuff game and some more aggressive to ingage or kill their prey..

that being said my point is that I don't think the breed itself (Pit Bull) is un-usefull at all.. I have met some of both ends of the aggression issue.. I believe that "bad" ones are somewhat misunderstood and more over, mishandled.. If you've ever seen a hog dog work you'd see the use in the"lock jaw" thinggy.. I not too sure how many everyday life situations I would want to place that dog in, but when I wanted to hunt pigs, that dog would have to go.. And the opposite exists also, some are far too "weak" or soft.. Those weaker are more of a candidate for being a "pet" not a "tool".. However.. Being that most are bred for the fight in'em..And because they (in the general publics' mind)are a "PiT BuLL!!!" most soft dogs are culled off.. So the gentler traits don't get passed.. They're kinda a victim of their own success, and destined to be exactly what they are.. best used as a tool, capturing and holding dangerous quarry that's what THEY live for!!.. Its hard to make a Bison a saddle horse, but not impossible:bang:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Kinda hard to find sympathy for a pit. There is a whole group of them that need to be put down with their owners.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    Kinda hard to find sympathy for a pit. There is a whole group of them that need to be put down with their owners.

Oh really ??? who is next on your list ????

Probably Me and My docile dog that has never even growled at anyone, such asinine statements from a long time forum member and a "mature individual"....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I see a lot of pit defenders want to put ALL of the blame on bad owners when an attack happens. They will say something like "MY little foo foo wouldn't hurt a fly". What they don't GET is little foo foo is the end result of hundreds of years of breeding to produce an animal that is a fighting and killing machine. Those traits are not just skin deep either, they are hard wired into them. That's why sometimes a seemingly placid pit will just snap and start attacking anything or anyone they can, it is what they were bred to do.

In today's society dogs are seen as pets, but as yotesalot touched on, in times past most large breeds were specifically bred to be tools. Sheep dogs were bred to protect livestock from predators, grey hounds were bred to chase down and kill game and pit bulls were bred to be "pitted" against other animals or dogs in fights to the death. That's just the way it is.
    Well, if you threaten Me with harm because I have a Pit bull that has not harmed anyone, you are a criminal and not far from going to jail.....

Your myopic viewpoint is just that, and far removed from the truth.....
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »

Probably Me and My docile dog that has never even growled at anyone, such asinine statements from a long time forum member and a "mature individual"....

Chill out. Buford is on your side. He's argued plenty of times in the past against those who say pits should be banned and eradicated.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Example: Assault weapons, high capacity magazines, they argue these have no place in society, both guns and dogs have owners, and the owners are responsible for their dogs and guns as far as safety goes, if My dog becomes aggressive, I need to do something before he bites someone..... Not after he bites someone...

Hmmm. I don't remember reading about someones assault rifle busting thru a storm door, jumping a 6' fence and killing four dogs. A pit did that last year the next town over.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

You need to get past this woe is me.
    Go through south central Los Angeles. I didn't say everyone, there is a group that train these dogs to be mean and make them look more intimidating than they already are. This is the group I'm talking about but you already knew this.
    Perhaps you need to get past making blanket statements and painting everyone with the same brush....
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Pit bull owners are of thinner skin than .270 owners.

.270 shooters aren't compensating for some lack, like pit bull owners and .30-06 shooters.
    bum bum buuuuum!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Pit bull owners are of thinner skin than .270 owners.

.270 shooters aren't compensating for some lack, like pit bull owners and .30-06 shooters.

Hey now. You had me til that .30-06 comment. I shoot an 06 and I'll have you know I'm known in some circles as, "The Depth Finder".
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Perhaps you need to get past making blanket statements and painting everyone with the same brush....

there is a group that train these dogs to be mean and make them look more intimidating than they already are.

I don't see this a blanket statement.
    justin10mm wrote: »
    I see a lot of pit defenders want to put ALL of the blame on bad owners when an attack happens. They will say something like "MY little foo foo wouldn't hurt a fly". What they don't GET is little foo foo is the end result of hundreds of years of breeding to produce an animal that is a fighting and killing machine. Those traits are not just skin deep either, they are hard wired into them. That's why sometimes a seemingly placid pit will just snap and start attacking anything or anyone they can, it is what they were bred to do.

In today's society dogs are seen as pets, but as yotesalot touched on, in times past most large breeds were specifically bred to be tools. Sheep dogs were bred to protect livestock from predators, grey hounds were bred to chase down and kill game and pit bulls were bred to be "pitted" against other animals or dogs in fights to the death. That's just the way it is.
    Callind B.S on pretty much all of this. Stop listening to what you heard your dad or grandpa say without having any firsthand experience. Hell, read a book maybe.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Hmmm. I don't remember reading about someones assault rifle busting thru a storm door, jumping a 6' fence and killing four dogs. A pit did that last year the next town over.
    ALL products of the douchebag owner that didn't keep his dog secured. My son thats only one, can bust through a storm door.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    ENOUGH !!!!...This Thread is Locked
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement