Home Main Category General Firearms

I have a chance to send two firearms to an appraisal, which ones?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,970 Senior Member
Hey folks, my mother is an Antiques Roadshow fan, and she has received an invitation to bring two items to a "Roadshow-esque" event in September for an unofficial appraisal. She couldn't think of anything in her possession, which is where I come in.

I have a few firearms of interest that I think an appraiser would actually like to see, even though I have a fairly good idea of what they would be worth (and they are priceless to me). She checked with the people running the "show" and firearms are okay. I have already decided to send my Arsenal rebuilt M1903, but I haven't decided what the second option will be. My father will also be in attendance and my mother is very conscientious about being careful with all of our firearms, and with "antiques" in general, so I'm not worried about anything happening to the guns.

What I'm hoping in the back of my head is that she'll run into someone at the show who can give her an idea of where to find more information about the history of whatever I send, especially the 1903 (I have pipe dreams of finding out what unit it was issued to).

The options are in the poll, input is appreciated!

Which firearms should go to the appraisal? 11 votes

1954 HRA M1 Garand
9% 1 vote
Colt Government Model 9mm
18% 2 votes
S&W US Army Model of 1917, .45 ACP
63% 7 votes
S&W 48-4 8 3/8", .22 WMR
9% 1 vote
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I'm not much help but the one I wouldn't send would be the 48-3 as I think that is the easiest one to get a pretty good idea on without an actual appraisal
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    I had to go with the 1917. You deserve to know where that old revolver gained that much charactor from... especially since it'll still shoot.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I'd send a painting or something that may be worth some $$$. You already know the value on your guns, I'd think.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Send the 1917- - - -Let's see if the "appraiser" can see past the surface condition to give it a real value from a historic point of view.
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    1917s aren't all that rare and are equal from an historic point of view, and like everything else, it's Condition, Condition, Condition.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • 30-30shooter30-30shooter Member Posts: 224 Member
    i would go with the 1917 or if not that the m1.
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.-Clint Eastwood
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    The Garand is going to be the hardest to authenticate - most of them are Frankenguns, ESPECIALLY the pre-Korean ones. Unless you've got access to various M1 collector's guides, it's good to turn a pro loose with it. . .unless it's obvious to you that it's a Frankengun.

The Smiths and the Colt are all pretty easy to Blue Book, without nearly the likelihood of being Frankengunned that the Garand has. M1 gets my vote.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, we got some forum members who would qualify as antiques...............:tooth::jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, we got some forum members who would qualify as antiques...............:tooth::jester:

That hurt...:jester:

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    The Garand is going to be the hardest to authenticate - most of them are Frankenguns, ESPECIALLY the pre-Korean ones. Unless you've got access to various M1 collector's guides, it's good to turn a pro loose with it. . .unless it's obvious to you that it's a Frankengun.

The Smiths and the Colt are all pretty easy to Blue Book, without nearly the likelihood of being Frankengunned that the Garand has. M1 gets my vote.

You've got a point. I KNOW the M1 is a frankengun (HRA receiver, barrel, op rod, etc; SA bolt and trigger group). Might bring it in anyway just for kicks, I got it from the CMP way back in 2005.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Well having had something appraised by the antiques road show I will say I am not a big fan or believer in the view of values. Stuff they appraised for us sold for much more than they said it was worth or offered to buy it for. so appraisee beware.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member