Home Main Category General Firearms

Colt Commando

nwcustomfirearmsnwcustomfirearms New MemberPosts: 4 New Member
I recently acquired an original 2" barrel colt commando and have been looking for some info on it. It has the half moon front sight blade, .38 SPL, says Hartford Conn on other side of the barrel. SN is 7XX and the cylinder has no locking notches. Anyone with any information would be appreciated including what the value might be. Thanks

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Every photograph I've seen of a Commando shows locking notches on the cylinder.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    He probably means no flutes in the cylinder.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Every one I've seen has both flutes and locking notches...otherwise, the cylinder wouldn't rotate. They were built in WW II, equivalent to the S&W Victory model. Yours has a low serial number, if that isn't an assembly number. For value, which is difficult to assess, look on gunbroker.com and see what they're sellling for.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,122 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.

$7-800
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Every one I've seen has both flutes and locking notches...otherwise, the cylinder wouldn't rotate. They were built in WW II, equivalent to the S&W Victory model. Yours has a low serial number, if that isn't an assembly number. For value, which is difficult to assess, look on gunbroker.com and see what they're sellling for.

Flutes aren't needed, notches are need to rotate/stop and lock the cylinder.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Maybe it's one of those rare full auto revolvers. Spin the cylinder and all the rounds go off one after another.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    I saw one on line that did not have the front of the trigger guard.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Flutes aren't needed, notches are need to rotate/stop and lock the cylinder.

Yes, but I've never seen one without flutes. Could be the early ones didn't, need to go to Colt history to find out. If it's a factory gun made without flutes the value would be a lot more, if that ever happened.

I can see why, would save a lot of production costs for a solid cylinder. So could be. Notice it's a very low SN.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I saw one on line that did not have the front of the trigger guard.

I think that's a Fitz Special.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    I think that's a Fitz Special.

I looked it up and had seen something similar on another WW II era revolver.

However, for most use I do not see the good in it, except in cold weather
    while wearing heavy gloves.

Maybe Centermass could use a fritz job on a .44mag while he is north
    to Alaska.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,870 Senior Member
    You get your finger on the trigger a little faster, as you just have to close your hand and don't need to insert the trigger finger into the guard.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    On Colt Revolvers the pawl rides the star on the rear of the cylinder and aids in locking, the cylinder locking notches are one way and only partially lock the cylinder, when the pawl wears down, timing will suffer...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    The front cut trigger guard was popular at one time. Can't remember who made it popular. That was back in the 50s or so. Kinda like square trigger guards in concept.
  • nwcustomfirearmsnwcustomfirearms New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    The cylinder has flutes. I'm talking about the locking notches near the rear of the cylinder that the cylinder lock pops up in to, there are none. The gun still locks up but there is a lot of wiggle, too much, to fire safely without first being repaired. cylinder also spins in one direction when the hammer is down. The 3 digit SN matches on all the parts and frame.
  • nwcustomfirearmsnwcustomfirearms New Member Posts: 4 New Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,110 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The front cut trigger guard was popular at one time. Can't remember who made it popular. That was back in the 50s or so. Kinda like square trigger guards in concept.
    Here you go...
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/the-fitz-special/
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Yep, that's it.