Home Main Category General Firearms

Identification and Values Section

SpeedracerSpeedracer New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
Does anybody know how to send an inquire to this section of the magazine. It seems like all e-mails are hidden from the public yet some readers send in questions this way. Please help. Thanks.

Replies

• john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    If you can post clear pictures and a good description here, you might get the information you are looking for.

I believe Garry James does his research here under an assumed name.:jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,122 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    john.41 wrote: »

:rotflmao:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    If you can post clear pictures and a good description here, you might get the information you are looking for.

Samzhere is Mr. James alt account.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Samzhere is Mr. James alt account.

He's not that easily fooled Mr. james
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member

Cool
  • Garry JamesGarry James New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    temmi wrote: »
    Cool

Nope. I don't use an assumed name. My own's hard enough for me to remember.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Nope. I don't use an assumed name. My own's hard enough for me to remember.

Hahaha!!! I Love it!!!

You must be older than you look in the magazine because your memory is like mine, LOL!!! Some mornings I can't remember my own either...

Either that or it's all that gun powder we been smelling...........
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • crypto7crypto7 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Garry, I love your column, and after many years of reading G&A I'm finally in a position where I need your unparalleled skill...

I have a Makarov pistol with a fixed rear sight and a single stack magazine for what I am very sure is 9x18mm. The story goes that my uncle knew a soldier who had served in Grenada and he had killed a Cuban soldier from whom he took this gun, later giving it to my uncle.

So all I know is that I got it from my uncle. I have scoured the interwebs high and low, but the only real thing I can find about Makarovs is this:
    http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=29179027
    which seems to indicate that it might be: ""Russian commercial (IJ-71, fixed rear sight, single stack Magazine, 9x18M or .380 ACP, blued): $400 Plus - Note VERY Rare in the USA."

It appears to have a serial # of R64101, and a vertical line (which I learned is an arrow) inside a triangle which is inside a circle, and the year 1975. I did not even see the slightly engraved SN on the slide until I took these pics. Is there any way you can help me??

Regards,
    David in Ohio

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    That's a 1975 manufactured Russian Military Makarov.

I can tell you more about it with a better set of pictures. The slide and frame numbers match, but that is expected. The finish is fair to poor from what I see. Do you have any bring back papers or provenance? As a rough condition Russian Military Makarov, it has a value of $400 to $600. If it has two matching magazines, better, and a matching holster even better. Bring back papers would make it worth much more.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Two Newbies in one post.

That must be a record! Maybe the mods should lock this thread so they don't get scared off........... :roll2:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,870 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Two Newbies in one post.

That must be a record! Maybe the mods should lock this thread so they don't get scared off........... :roll2:
    Well, it took just over 3 years to get them both.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member

Yep......but, it appears that BigDan did provide some useful info for today's poster, since Garry hasn't posted in forever.

Even though the thread's old, I figure info like Dan provided is sort of what this place is about.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Oh, no doubt. If anyone here knows Makarovs, it's Dan.

I just think it's funny that this took 3 years and 3 days to catch the two new fellows. Not too quick.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If Gunny Highway brought it back it is worth a whole lot more. :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,494 Senior Member
    Post your questions here, it won't take long to get an answer. Welcome aboard and stay a while!
  • crypto7crypto7 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    That's a 1975 manufactured Russian Military Makarov. I can tell you more about it with a better set of pictures ... The finish is fair to poor from what I see ....

BigDanS, thanks a bunch. That is what I suspected. Yes, the bluing (or whatever the USSR used) is pretty scratched up, only 1 mag, no holster and, of course, no records. My uncle was somewhat of a hellion and I can only imagine under what circumstance this was transferred to him.
    Two Newbies in one post.

Yep, everybody is a newbie at some point. At least, when it comes to chat rooms and the like. And I think all the kids are using the term "noob" nowadays, BTW. :wink:

Yes, dates and automated thread notifications are a miraculous thing to us noobs. :silly:
    It seems Mr. James is a hard man to get ahold of; this was his most recent online communication according to the interwebs and I don't use the FaceTubes or Twatter. But some experienced shooters avoid forums like the plague; many seem frequented by fanboys, flame wars, rumor/superstition, and just general, all around, good old-fashioned douchebaggery. But I'm sure G&A forums won't be that way!

Thanks again.
    No offense meant on my part. I was mainly tweaking Orchidman's nose: he's a bit slow. Which is odd because he's in New Zealand and everything happens to him before us. International date line and all.

BigDanS is our resident Eastern Bloc dude. If you have a question about that stuff: he's your man.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    No offense meant on my part. I was mainly tweaking Orchidman's nose: he's a bit slow. Which is odd because he's in New Zealand and everything happens to him before us. International date line and all.

The last two times I breached the space-time continuum and posted up about events that were about to happen in your time, Obama got elected.
    If I tell you whats going to happen before it happens again, you WILL end up with another Clinton in the Whitehouse............If I don't, she might just end up in the Jailhouse.

Your choice.:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Alec, Please just keep your mouth shut! You ARE a true "Southerner" without doubt, but if you start yacking too early, and that "thing" ends up in the WH, then I will become a true "Kiwi" and I'm too old and decrepit to move at this point :angry:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,031 Senior Member
    The last two times I breached the space-time continuum and posted up about events that were about to happen in your time, Obama got elected.
    If I tell you whats going to happen before it happens again, you WILL end up with another Clinton in the Whitehouse............If I don't, she might just end up in the Jailhouse.

Alec, forget about politics , just send me the lottery numbers and I'll split 50/50 with you.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 621 Senior Member

Take no offense but please keep your mouth shut
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    crypto7 wrote: »
    BigDanS, thanks a bunch. That is what I suspected. Yes, the bluing (or whatever the USSR used) is pretty scratched up, only 1 mag, no holster and, of course, no records. My uncle was somewhat of a hellion and I can only imagine under what circumstance this was transferred to him.

Yep, everybody is a newbie at some point. At least, when it comes to chat rooms and the like. And I think all the kids are using the term "noob" nowadays, BTW. :wink:

Yes, dates and automated thread notifications are a miraculous thing to us noobs. :silly:
    It seems Mr. James is a hard man to get ahold of; this was his most recent online communication according to the interwebs and I don't use the FaceTubes or Twatter. But some experienced shooters avoid forums like the plague; many seem frequented by fanboys, flame wars, rumor/superstition, and just general, all around, good old-fashioned douchebaggery. But I'm sure G&A forums won't be that way!

Thanks again.

FYI, there are lots of Military Makarovs in the USA with excellent finishes. I am fortunate enough to own two, and both have excellent finishes, two magazines and a holster, plus they have import marks. The most valuable Soviet era Makarov would be a Vietnam bring back with papers, in excellent condition and two matching magazines and a holster without import marks. That would be a $1500 to $2000 gun. Enjoy it for what it is. Clean it up and take it out and try shooting it.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,938 Senior Member
    crypto7 wrote: »
    " But I'm sure G&A forums won't be that way!"
    But some experienced shooters avoid forums like the plague; many seem frequented by fanboys,
    They dont last
    flame wars,
    only if its funny
    rumor/superstition,
    In spades
    and just general, all around, good old-fashioned douchebaggery.
    CJP, nuff said
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.