Your "line up" for the '12-'13 hunting season?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,862 Senior Member
Mine's pretty simple and all I hunt for is whitetail deer
  1. T/C Contender Carbine 30-30 w/ 155 Berger
  2. M1 Garand w/ 150 IB
  3. Rem 799 7.62x39 w/ 123 Sierra
  4. AR 223 with Mk318 Mod 0
  5. Grendel AR w/ 123 A-max
  6. win 670A 30-06 w/ 208 A-max
  7. XP-100 w/ 120 NBT
Until you get down to the Grendel, none of the earlier ones have ever harvested a deer. Though the Garand has killed one that was unrecoverable due to crossing onto posted property due to a piss poor shot on my part (Only reason I knew where it ended up was the circling vultures a few days later)
And the XP with it's 120 NBT is the only load that's similar.

So what your line up and load data?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,862 Senior Member
    And yes, Alabama's bag limits are liberal enough that I can take MULTIPLE deer with each one listed (2 does per day from mid Nov thru Jan 31 and only 4 bucks for the year)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    my digital camera, for the most part.

I might carry a .22 pistol or something suitable for shooting grouse, but nothing more than that. I'll be a spectator this year.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,862 Senior Member
    I'll probably have my Nikon with me as well :up:

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    Elk: Matthews Bow/Rage Broad-heads, Rem XP-100 Center-Grip 284 Win 162 A-Max
    Antelope: Bow, Freedom Arms Single-Shot 6.5 Swede AI (140 A-Max), MOA Maximum 6-284 or 7mm Rem Mag AI)
    Mule Deer: Haven't made up my mind yet:tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    If we get decent enough weather and the game is present, I'll hunt
    dove, ducks, and squirrels.

11-87 or 870 and plan on using the Savage 3b some as well.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I haven't found a good load for the 30-06 yet...getting a bit nervous. I know I can count on the Vanguard 308 w/165gr Accubonds. If I can't get the 30-06 shooting the way I want I'll take the 300 Wby, probably with 180gr Norma SP's.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    Antelope:
    .25-06 w/ 115gr Berger
    6.5-284 w/ 140gr A-Max
    .308 w/ 168gr A-Max

Whitetail/Hog:
    .44 Mag w/ 240gr SXT
    .243 w/ 95gr SST
    .280 w/ 140gr Berger
    .338-06 w/ 225gr Deep Curl
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Elk and Whitetail 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in 300 Win Mag or .338 Federal with 210 gr Nosler Partitions if I can get it dialed in soon.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I haven't found a good load for the 30-06 yet...getting a bit nervous. I know I can count on the Vanguard 308 w/165gr Accubonds. If I can't get the 30-06 shooting the way I want I'll take the 300 Wby, probably with 180gr Norma SP's.

What game are you planning on using the 30-06 on? My Rem. 700 SPS shoots a Sierra GK 200 grain really well. I don't have it maxed out yet, but it is averaging around 2550 or maybe a bit better. I know I killed a hog at bit over 100 yards with it in May and it didn't move after it was hit except straight down on the ground. That load groups MOA or a bit under. It's a great hunting load that I would have no problem with using on larger animals than deer.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    As for my line up, if I have an opportunity to go after Whitetail, it will be the .257 Bob AI just to blood it if nothing else. If I end up on the elk hunt, which isn't looking promising, it'll be the 300 WBY Mag Mark V Lazer Mark with 180 grain somethings and the Savage 110 7 Mag will be along for backup duty. For hogs, since there's no limit, I'll rotate the rest of the arsenal. I want to kill some hogs with my .223 and my 22-250 just for kicks and to blood them both. If I kill a deer with the .257 Bob AI, then I'll switch to the .250 Savage. It's already been blooded on a hog, so I'm going to give the Bob AI a shot so to speak. And if I kill several deer and hogs, the old reliable .270 will get the nod for something. I'm not trying to blood it because it's so bloody it's red.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,351 Senior Member
    Mule Deer:
    .243 Win w/ 100 gr. Sierra ProHunter bullets

Whitetail:
    Hoyt Vulcan XT500 (bow) w/ 125gr. Slick Trick broadheads

Birds and such:
    Browning Citori White Lightning 20GA
    Benelli Super Black Eagle II 12 GA
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,227 Senior Member
    Whitetail--
    .338 Federal with a 180gr Accubond.
    .338 Win mag with a yet to be determined bullet.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Whitetail- Bowtech Invasion CPX, Muzzy MX-3 broadheads. IF I gun hunt whitetails, I may just do it with a handgun. One of my 45 Colts for sure, with 250 gr XTP's, and STOUT charge of H110.

Elk- Rem 700, .300RUM. 200gr Accubonds, over ~95gr Retumbo.
    Backup, Howa 1500, .338WM. 225gr. pills of some stripe, SST's, IB's, or AB's.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    XTP's work great on deer!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member

165 Sierra Gamekings over 52gr IMR4350. If it wont shoot at least adequately with that, then you have other problems.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    I have time for whitetail and paper. Thats about it anymore.

Getz Pennsylvaina longrifle, .535 Hornady RB in a .015 patch, over 70gr of Goex 2F, next to a touch of Goex 4F, under a English commercial flint or a old French cannon flint.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Whitetails and feral hogs:

Model 70 in .30-06 165 gr. Nosler BT
    AR-15 in .223 - load to be determined - either 70 gr. Barnes TSX or 64 gr. Winchester Power Points
    Glock G-20 if something really screws up and gets within 25 yards, or if a boar hog gets between me and my blind, some dark and eerie morning.

Dove & Blue Quail:

Stoeger M-2000 12 gauge
    Laurona O/U 12 gauge

Squirrel:

Marlin Bolt .22
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Whitetails and piggies with a smattering of song dogs for me. My lineup should be pretty normal.

1. Dad's ol'rifle that I rebuilt: custom model 700 in .308 165 grain Sierra gamekings. Sweet looking and deadly accurate
    2. Bushmaster BAR-10 .308 150 grain SST's; Ahhh ol'faithful, this one is a real game getter
    3. DPMS LR308 AP4 165 grain SST's, this will be the first time in the woods for this one.
    4. 6.5 Grendel 129 grain SST's, varmints beware, you can't run far enough or fast enough!
    5. The new FD308 bullets will probably be 165 grain SST's if I can get it to like them. We'll see if I get it before hunting season is over, his back log time has gone up a couple of weeks since I put my deposit down.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,730 Senior Member
    1- DPMS Oracle .308
    2- Ishapore Enfield
    3- Super Redhawk .454 Casull
    4- Winchester .30-30
    5- IF I can get it threaded in time, the NEF .45Colt with the suppressor.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Birds:

1973 Beretta AL-2 12 gauge
    Stoeger M2000

Critters:

Win Model 62A .22s/.22r/.22lr
    Savage 93R17 .17hmr
    Marlin 880 .22lr

Bigger critters:

Rem 700 in .280Rem
    Savage 360C in .222Rem
    Rossi 93 in .44mag
    Rem 700 .300WinMag
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Deer/Elk/speedy goat: Remington 700 SPS-V .308 havn't picked the ammo yet / bear recurve with self made wood shaft arrows tipped with 125grn two blade broadheads

Bunnys/tree rats and the like: Benjamin Titan GP .22 pellet rifle with predator pellets

Turkey/grouse/pheasent/geese/dove/maybe duck: Stoeger Condor 12g O/U with #7 steel or the same bow mentioned above with self made fluflu arrows tipped with either judo blunts or broadheads depending on the bird
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    As for my line up, if I have an opportunity to go after Whitetail, it will be the .257 Bob AI just to blood it if nothing else. If I end up on the elk hunt, which isn't looking promising, it'll be the 300 WBY Mag Mark V Lazer Mark with 180 grain somethings and the Savage 110 7 Mag will be along for backup duty. For hogs, since there's no limit, I'll rotate the rest of the arsenal. I want to kill some hogs with my .223 and my 22-250 just for kicks and to blood them both. If I kill a deer with the .257 Bob AI, then I'll switch to the .250 Savage. It's already been blooded on a hog, so I'm going to give the Bob AI a shot so to speak. And if I kill several deer and hogs, the old reliable .270 will get the nod for something. I'm not trying to blood it because it's so bloody it's red.

The two quarter bores have gotten to love the Combined Technologies 115 grain Ballistic Silvertips. They really move out and so far have performed perfectly on game. Of course, I've only killed one animal with them, but it did perform flawlessly. For animals to the size of deer and hogs, I think I need to experiment with these in some of my other rifles. These and the SGKs have done a stellar job on deer and hogs. And both are very accurate in every rifle I've shot them in.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    .50 caliber patched round ball from my Kentucky flintlock, and possibly a close-range deer with the Blackhawk .45 Colt to see how those 300 grain boulders work on something other than waterlogged paper. Centerfire rifles- - - - -whatever happens to be handy.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Kentucky :

Sept. , Bow
    Oct. 2 day muzzle loading,Sears.45cal
    Range
    Nov. Modern gun, Rem.700 (.308), Marlin Lever (30.30)
    Range
    Dec. Muzzle loading again. Wolf .50cal.
    Range
    after this, .204, .17HMR.Icesickles on cliffs by the creek.
    Jan. Reload all empties(Except .17HMR)
    May even shoot the ole 7.62x54R some where in here...
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    .50 caliber patched round ball from my Kentucky flintlock, and possibly a close-range deer with the Blackhawk .45 Colt to see how those 300 grain boulders work on something other than waterlogged paper. Centerfire rifles- - - - -whatever happens to be handy.
    Jerry

Good post Jerry, Sounds like Me. Whatever, When ever....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,351 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

I wanna know, too! Do tell if you score with it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    What game are you planning on using the 30-06 on? My Rem. 700 SPS shoots a Sierra GK 200 grain really well. I don't have it maxed out yet, but it is averaging around 2550 or maybe a bit better. I know I killed a hog at bit over 100 yards with it in May and it didn't move after it was hit except straight down on the ground. That load groups MOA or a bit under. It's a great hunting load that I would have no problem with using on larger animals than deer.

I'm only hunting elk this year. Unless I can wrangle a place to hunt the late december season antelope.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    My Browning Illusion for archery
    My 6.8 AR for the piggies, maybe Bambi
    My Ruger 77 (old with tang safety) .308 for other
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    Primarily it will be my redhawk in .44mag with a 310gr RNFPGC that I cast with a copious amount of h110 behind it. If I use a long gun it will likely be my model 94 in .375win with a 275gr RNFPGC that I cast. I 'm working up a lighter powered load for my 45-70 with a 410 RNFPHB bullet that I started casting out of almost pure lead that I want to roll at least one deer with and I'm contemplating putting a scope back on my super redhawk in .454casull and then I'd be using a cast 305gr RNFPGC. If I sit on one of our long fields, it will be with my .35 whelen launching 225gr Sierra gamekings.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Deer and hogs.

Barnett Quad 400 for archery.
    CVA Optim BP pistol for Muzzleloader.
    One of my .44's for gun season mostly.

Luis

ps Avmech, I also have an old Ruger m77with tang safety in .308 with a heavy barrel that is awesome with Hornady 150 gr SST's.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug