Home Main Category General Firearms

300 rcm

Johnny rebJohnny reb MemberPosts: 715 Senior Member
Anyone have one or experience with one and if so what kind of distance and groups are u getting with factory ammo I like mine for what I use it for but looki g for more info

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Essentially, it is irrelevant as to which "short magnum" you buy, be it RCM, WSM, WSSM, etc. They are designed to mimic the standard magnum caliber they represent; in this case .300 Winchester Magnum. Quality components, regardless of the variations in case design, should produce similar or same results.

RCM calibers are expensive and the only rifles really available for them are Rugers. The "WSM" at least opens you up to other rifle manufacturer options.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    I've still yet to ever see a 300 RCM rifle in any of the stores here in Colorado, where short magnums are rather popular. However Gander had a bunch of 300 RCM on clearance, still 40$ a box.

I wasn't a big fan of the concept, using fairy dust to equal 24" barrel ballistics from a 20" barrel, because it can only be done with factory ammo. Now that those powders are available to the public, I guess the whole idea isn't so bad. But if you're happy with your rig, that is all that matters. If I was going for a short mag, I'd still be choosing the WSM's, personally. But then again...if I found a killer deal on a 338 RCM....