Home Main Category General Firearms

Short action cartridge choices for future build.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,447 Senior Member
Alright, besides the long action project, I have a short action project as well.

I have an HS Precision Varmint style stock for a Rem 700 short action. Rings/Bases and scope as well as Timney Trigger in the stash. What I don't have is something to put it all on.

As for current short action cartridges I already have:

Looking for options that don't overlap what I have. Well, at least not too much.

The stock is for a heavy barrel. I could float a sporter barrel in a sea or air or choose a cartridge better suited for a heavy barrel to use up the space.

Cartridges I'm considering:

7mm WSM
.300 WSM
.338 Federal

Obviously, this will be a handloading affair. These are just what are popping in my head right now, but I'm open to suggestions from yoose guys. So, what ideas ya got?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,039 Senior Member
    One of the .45 or .50 calibers based on the .223 case head.

.50 Beowulf, .450 Bushmaster, .450 SOCOM, etc...
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    I would say 7wsm to fill that gap between .260 and .308.

I had one when they first came out in a Mdl. 70. I liked it a lot, but ended up selling it. I assume Ernie has some good recipes for it also.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,662 Senior Member
    Purpose?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Go big or go home! .350 Rem. Mag!
    Jerry
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    A .308 necked down to .257 would be cool-- a .25 Souper!
    That, or a .204 Ruger.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,447 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Purpose?

This project is not necessarily "purpose" driven. More about using up extra parts in the man cave and trying as I might, to not duplicate existing cartridges. The not duplicating part is getting harder and harder as the the inventory gets to be greater. I guess as i narrow down my cartridge options, I can look at more of a purpose for this rifle.

Since it is a heavy barrel stock, I was kinda looking at something that could benefit from the bull barrel and possibly use that benefit to reach out yonder. One of the reasons I was looking at the 7mm WSM and .300 WSM. Either of those in a heavy barrel would make a dandy distance rifle.

The .338 Federal, would probably not be put on a heavy narrel. So, the stock would be somewhat rediculous for the sporter barrel. But, at least it would be comfortable.

The .450 SOCOM and such are covered by my short .458 Win Mag. The .350 RM, though I did consider strongly, is mostly a spitting image of my .35 Whelen (but very tempting).

The 7-08? You know how I feel about that cartridge. Besides, it will do nothing the .260 and .308 can't already do.

Ideas are good, though. This is how decisions are made. Weighing the options. So, keep the options coming. Even if I don't end up with them, unless you consider all things, you might miss the boat.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    A .308 necked down to .257 would be cool-- a .25 Souper!

.25-06 has that covered.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    You need a sub-sonic dedicated .300 Whisper/Blackout.

Wouldn't really need the heavy stock, but a spitzer .30 cal, 230 grain round moving at 1050fps is just.......NEAT! :tooth:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Eli beat me to it with the .300 Whisper. I've heard lots of good chatter about it, especially how friendly it is to suppressors.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Eli wrote: »
    You need a sub-sonic dedicated .300 Whisper/Blackout.

Wouldn't really need the heavy stock, but a spitzer .30 cal, 230 grain round moving at 1050fps is just.......NEAT! :tooth:

The .300 Blackout is a flash in the pan. Limited use, and limited range. A stupid marketing ploy that I hope dies a quick death before people buy all sorts of guns just to get dropped like a cheap date and left without even a kiss goodnight.

Hell, even Savage dropped the cartridge because they couldn't get it to shoot! One of the actual smart choices that company has made.

I played with that cartridge back in the concept phase. I walked away..........

Much like the 6.8 SPC, it will be pushed and pushed but only hang on by a thread.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    The .300 Blackout is a flash in the pan. Limited use, and limited range. A stupid marketing ploy that I hope dies a quick death before people buy all sorts of guns just to get dropped like a cheap date and left without even a kiss goodnight.

Hell, even Savage dropped the cartridge because they couldn't get it to shoot! One of the actual smart choices that company has made.

I played with that cartridge back in the concept phase. I walked away..........

Much like the 6.8 SPC, it will be pushed and pushed but only hang on my a thread.

Bah......what'da you know? :tooth:

:wink:
    Not much. :tooth:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    .25-06 has that covered.
    .204 then. It is NOT the same thing as a .223. You can get those little bullets going screaming fast (I have witnesses on this forum that have seen some of my factory loads clock 4600fps over a Chrony) and it shoots super flat. Mine is an absolute riot to shoot. The rest of the bigger calibers call for more of a "walking gun", not a heavy barreled, heavy stocked monstrosity.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I'd stay with tbe .300wsm or similar. .30cal bullets are the Chevy 350 of the shooting world. More made selections made for that caliber than any other. Also usually a bit cheaper.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

The .450 SOCOM and such are covered by my short .458 Win Mag.

But not in a short action!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Ummm Bullsi, I like you're thinking but the 'wulf is based on the 762x39 case head. It just looks TINY on that oversized 50 AE case.

BAH! I knew that. Call it a brain fart
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    But not in a short action!

Your reasoning is blindingly obvious. :jester:
    Zed,
    Since you already have a short action 30 cal, I'd go 7WSM

Here is my thinking with the 7mm WSM:

I know that I'd talked about the 7mm STW on another thread. I'm tempted by that cartridge to use with my long action stock, LR scope, and Timney trigger. We've discussed this.

Problem is, the stock I have for a long action is for a sporter contour barrel. I'd like a long range rifle to have a heavy barrel and there just isn't enough room in the stock to ream out for free floating a heavy barrel. So, if I did the STW in that stock, it would have to be a sporter barrel and I'm just not really down with that.

But........if I went with the 7 WSM on the short action stock........it would fit a bull barrel. Give me some distance capability........and only be about 150fps behind the STW. Yes? No?

Then, figure out what other caliber to use for the Sporter Stock.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    .....and only be about 150fps behind the STW. Yes? No?

Yea, about 200 fps.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    The choices are obvious. There are two
    Light and fast is what you need. A 20 cal screamer, of some stripe. 204 Ruger, or maybe 20 Practical would be a great one for you, necked up .223 brass.

The other obvious choice, is 257 Scooter
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I forgot to vouch for Jerm. I was helping with the chrony work. His 204 was clocking over 4600 at the SE shoot.
    The same day fishhead's 45-70 clocked 2250 w/ 405's.....and me behind the stock.:yikes:
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Joe already said it, 257 Scooter! Although not really the best cartridge for the heavy barrel, it's defiantly unique.
    cpj wrote: »
    Or, you could just send the parts to me.

Now why didn't I think of that?! There IS always that option!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,320 Senior Member
    Well, if it wasn't for the varmint stock, I'd say do a .358 Winchester.

But since you have a fat-channel stock, I gotta say .22-250.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    ...I gotta say .22-250.

He's already got a tack-driving .223 bolt gun and a .243 bolt gun. Both are way more powder efficient than .22-250.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,320 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    He's already got a tack-driving .223 bolt gun and a .243 bolt gun. Both are way more powder efficient than .22-250.

Screw efficiency! .22-250 makes little squirrely critters EXPLODE!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    You already have my address! Its a win win.

I'll roshambo you for it..... I go first!
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Screw efficiency! .22-250 makes little squirrely critters EXPLODE!

I had a .22-250 for many years and used it on p-dogs and culling deer. But, I don't do either or those things anymore and hadn't shot that rifle in over 10 years. I finally gave it my my friend last year. Figured he could do something with it. Course, it's sat in his safe as well. Oh well.
    Ok, knowing your love for A-maxes, I ran the numbers for the 7mm 162 A-max through quickload,
    with the 7STW, you're looking @ ~3k. The WSM will push the same bullet ~2900, both from 24" tubes, so you're looking at only 100fps +/-
    I ran the numbers through my ballistics program and that 100 fps makes 20" difference in drop @ 1000 yards from a 200 yard zero

Thanks for the leg work. 100fps ain't much, I guess and 20" is just a two minute click away.

Can you tell how far out they both carry 1,800 fps in velocity?
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I'll roshambo you for it..... I go first!

I'd rather see you guys fight like Gladiators for it.