Home Main Category Hunting

Florida just sucks...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,577 Senior Member
Mountains_Mirrored_St._Mary_Lake_Glacier_National_Park_Montana.jpg

DSC06650.jpg

montana-scenery.jpg

I look for jobs in Montana every now and again... I want to hunt and fish that terrain, not the muggy palmetto scrub of the Florida habitats... Can anyone post up some pics of a Montana hunt to make me even more envious?
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
«1

Replies

  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Are you friends with Ericb on Facebook?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Why live somewhere that you're not happy? I've got lot's of places that I like but I'm pretty attached to where I live in Florida. Of course I prefer to hunt about two hours north of here in Alabama.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Those are beautiful pictures. Did you take them?
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Why live somewhere that you're not happy? I've got lot's of places that I like but I'm pretty attached to where I live in Florida. Of course I prefer to hunt about two hours north of here in Alabama.

    Well, I am staying here, bluntly, until my grandmother passes away. I need to be here for my parents for that one. After that, I do plan to uproot and move.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Those are beautiful pictures. Did you take them?

    I wish! The first one is my favorite, "Mirror Lake" I think it is called in the Glacier National Park.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,513 Senior Member
    I've been all over the west and always thought it would be a great place to live. Then I think about the lack of decent jobs, long cold winters and hot summers.
    I've hunted near Glacier Park, in Kalispell, beatiful country. Loved Wyoming, but I think my favorite western state was Idaho.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    This was earlier today on Kelso Lake. About 30 miles from Montana's western border.

    kelso.jpg
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    This was earlier today on Kelso Lake. About 30 miles from Montana's western border.

    kelso.jpg

    I hate you...
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I've been all over the west and always thought it would be a great place to live. Then I think about the lack of decent jobs, long cold winters and hot summers.
    I've hunted near Glacier Park, in Kalispell, beatiful country. Loved Wyoming, but I think my favorite western state was Idaho.

    Thanks for the input about Wyoming and Idaho!

    Jobs aren't a problem if I can find a place to just hire me. My skill-set is very transferable; even to rural counties.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

    Jobs aren't a problem if I can find a place to just hire me.

    That does always seem to be the issue with finding a job.

    Hard to find a decent tropical beach in Montana. Spend a January week there before you declare it paradise.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Hard to find a decent tropical beach in Montana. Spend a January week there before you declare it paradise.

    +1

    Before you relocate, trade every current vehicle for 4WDs (or AWDs) and buy a plow truck. Buy a home with a metal roof and a wood stove, even if it isn't the primary heat source. Get a good generator. Snowmobiles, skiing, snowshoeing, trapping, and ice fishing will help pass the winter.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That does always seem to be the issue with finding a job.

    Hard to find a decent tropical beach in Montana. Spend a January week there before you declare it paradise.

    Florida is no paradise, either. I'd rather sit on the sofa than go to the beach.

    I do plan on doing a couple vacations to the northern midwest and rocky mountain areas to get a feel for the areas.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    In the last 25 years, I have been to the beach about 3 times, and I lives about 10 miles away......................

    Much rather be on the boat, and that can happen anywhere.
    Grumpy old gearhead
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Seriously? You are hating Florda right now because you have been in the heat for four months. Tell me how much you hate it in February. I live here for a lot of reasons, not just the beach. The hunting and country life here is different than up north and I live deep in the city. I think I would move to Tennessee if I left here for the combination of low taxes, open country, decent hunting and reasonable gun laws.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Mountains_Mirrored_St._Mary_Lake_Glacier_National_Park_Montana.jpg

    I look for jobs in Montana every now and again... I want to hunt and fish that terrain, not the muggy palmetto scrub of the Florida habitats... Can anyone post up some pics of a Montana hunt to make me even more envious?

    I really love country like in your pics. It's almost heaven. However, I hunt where the game is and for the least money. Florida, like Texas, Ain't Colorado or Montana, but it's very huntable. If I want to sight see, I go sight seeing, but when I hunt I want to bring back game and not spend my life savings. But that's just me. I guess I'm too easily pleased.

    Of course, there seems to be a Chronic Shortage of Elk and Mule Deer in Florida and Texas, so if you're wanting to hunt Montana for that reason, I can see your point. But not just for the scenary.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm with you. I can't WAIT to get my butt down South again. I'll put up with the heat EVERY DAY rather than the $4-6,000 fuel oil bills I get every year. Besides I can fish all year around. If I need mountains and cold, I'll get on a plane and visit them so I can leave them behind when I leave.

    Wambli You're a genius, you know that? Only one thing I ever caught you wrong on. And we won't bring that up (.270s reign forever), :yesno::bang::roll2::rotflmao:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Maybe this will make you feel better.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou5tnqSLNlM
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Seriously? You are hating Florda right now because you have been in the heat for four months. Tell me how much you hate it in February. I live here for a lot of reasons, not just the beach. The hunting and country life here is different than up north and I live deep in the city. I think I would move to Tennessee if I left here for the combination of low taxes, open country, decent hunting and reasonable gun laws.

    D

    Oh heck no, I am going nowhere. I hate cold weather, snow, and all that winter crap. Love Feb, when the light jacket comes off mid morning. I personally can't stand the beach......

    And with you on the Tenn, or even Texas
    Grumpy old gearhead
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Well its the first week of September, only 2 more months before it cools off enough to go outside for any length of time. :angry:

    Did I mention I hate hot weather? :vomit:
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Well its the first week of September, only 2 more months before it cools off enough to go outside for any length of time. :angry:

    Did I mention I hate hot weather? :vomit:

    It might dip into the low 90's this weekend, Justin. Bust out the sweaters, Fall is here! ;)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,558 Senior Member
    I use to live right next to Glacier National Park in Montana. I hate the fact that I left that state. Every..... Day.......Since. That state was heaven!!! Maybe some day, I'll get back home and out of purgatory.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,558 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    I really love country like in your pics. It's almost heaven. However, I hunt where the game is and for the least money. Florida, like Texas, Ain't Colorado or Montana, but it's very huntable. If I want to sight see, I go sight seeing, but when I hunt I want to bring back game and not spend my life savings. But that's just me. I guess I'm too easily pleased.

    Of course, there seems to be a Chronic Shortage of Elk and Mule Deer in Florida and Texas, so if you're wanting to hunt Montana for that reason, I can see your point. But not just for the scenary.

    Snake, if you live in Montana, it's not expensive to hunt there. Texas sucks for hunting opportunities. Talk about big bucks and I don't mean deer!!! You either have to know somebody, hunt crowded WMA, or fork over a chunk of change.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Texas sucks for hunting opportunities. Talk about big bucks and I don't mean deer!!! You either have to know somebody, hunt crowded WMA, or fork over a chunk of change.

    All true.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Snake, if you live in Montana, it's not expensive to hunt there. Texas sucks for hunting opportunities. Talk about big bucks and I don't mean deer!!! You either have to know somebody, hunt crowded WMA, or fork over a chunk of change.

    I was born and raised in Texas, and lived there for the first 31 years of my life. One of the main reasons I left (moved to Utah) was because of how expensive it got to be to hunt.

    I still have family back there, and go back to visit once or twice a year, but don't regret moving away.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »

    I may have to fly there and slap you...

    ...and shoot your rifle....
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Maybe this will make you feel better.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou5tnqSLNlM

    Ol' Merle's older n dirt!!!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I was born and raised in Texas, and lived there for the first 31 years of my life. One of the main reasons I left (moved to Utah) was because of how expensive it got to be to hunt.

    I still have family back there, and go back to visit once or twice a year, but don't regret moving away.

    Yeah tell me about it. Everything about hunting is expensive. Hell, the farmers and ranchers all cry about the hogs, but when you ask them if you can shoot them off their property they want a bundle of money.

    However, the political mind set is probably as good as it gets here. One day all gun people may have to come here to seek refuge.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Jason,
    What is your skill-set?
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I may have to fly there and slap you...

    ...and shoot your rifle....

    ...I was already "tagged-out", was waiting on my buddy to finish up...

    landomesacow.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement