Home Main Category Personal Defense

Personal Defense shotgun

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I guess My all time favorite shotgun for personal defense will always be a Remington 870 pump shotgun, and not in .410, 12 gauge 2 3/4" to 3 " chamber,
I love the way it balances, it just seems right, of course I feel the same way about the Remington 1100 too........

Funny thing, of all the models out there mentioned for personal defense, it seems to Me anyway, that the Winchester 1200 / 1300 gets left out, 5 round magazine tube, in a shorter overall package, rotary 4 lug bolt, shorter stroke pump.....
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    I have a Winchester 1300 Defender. Plane Jane except for a side saddle. Feels good in the hand, though a little bulkier than an 870. More solid feeling, I guess. Do wish it had something besides the bead front sight. Kinda sucks.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,047 Senior Member
    We can talk about weight.

We can talk about balance.

We can talk about long-term durability.

We can talk about aftermarket "pimp-ability".

None of which matters a whole lot for the application of leaning it up in a closet until such time that you have to shoot a large, slow-moving target at close range. Such is the beauty of the "mature technology" that is the pump action shotgun. A tricked out 870 or 590 with tac slings and side saddles may make us all tingly, but an old Stevens will serve.

(Now if only I can talk Surefire into making a light for my '97 trench gun. . .)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    What barrel does your 1300 have ??
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    "None of which matters a whole lot for the application of leaning it up in a closet until such time that you have to shoot a large, slow-moving target at close range. Such is the beauty of the "mature technology" that is the pump action shotgun. A tricked out 870 or 590 with tac slings and side saddles may make us all tingly, but an old Stevens will serve."

Or out and about hunting, way too close to the Haitian border, that is where a Remington 870 shotgun really shines....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    What barrel does your 1300 have ??

18" with factory full length tube underneath.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,857 Senior Member
    The only thing wrong with the 1300 is that Winchester stopped making them...what's out there is out there and the supply will dry up...the same thing can't be said for the 870
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Very true......
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,574 Senior Member
    I also have a 1300 defender. I added an AR-style stock so I could adjust it to fit me better, a sling, a fiber optic front sight, and a side saddle for 5 more rounds. Holds 7 shells in the tube +1 in the chamber, and has been 100% reliable.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.