Home Main Category Hunting

Brace yourselves...

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,085 Senior Member
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    :applause:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,562 Senior Member
    Look out Bambi!!! We're coming to get'cha!

bambi266811.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    It is already here 2rqfst4.gif
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 2,030 Senior Member
    Yipee!!! nudie.gif
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,562 Senior Member
    Antelope3.jpg

4 weeks and counting...........
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Rolled a yote tonight. Details at eleven.

Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific 11:00?
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    Is Buffy still bow hunting?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Either that or he's tied up and duct taped shut in some hill billy's canoe going to some place dark and scary.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Either that or he's tied up and duct taped shut in some hill billy's canoe going to some place dark and scary.

You mean like kentucky???????????????:rotflmao:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,085 Senior Member
    Doing my first Coyote hunt tomorrow when I go down to get the feeders set up on the hunting lease.

And we ran out of Venison jerky and dry sausage last night. Need to get a deer ASAP
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Heading up to the hunting camp this afternoon and I'm stoked. This is a work weekend but we're almost done with the foodplots already. They were bushogged a couple of weeks ago, they were all disced yesterday, and the seed/fertilizer truck is showing up tomorrow. It's only costing us a hundred bucks more to have them spread the seed with their truck than what we paid last year for just the seed and fertilizer in bags. Considering we have around forty foodplots spread out over 3000 acres, we'll make that up on fuel for the tractors easily. All we'll have left to do is run the drags and the foodplots will be ready. Then it's time to check on all the stands and start clearing shooting lanes. I'll be eating chicken fried backstrap in no time.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Yep, my time of the year, the best time of the year. Good luck to everyone this season.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Michigan youth deer hunt is next weekend. Taking the 10 and 12 year old out with crossbows.:guns:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Already got my first couple of gut piles out of the way: next up will be any weapon mule deer early buck season. Really sweating that one right now as I've had very little luck in my scouting trips.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Fall turkey opened today. Either sex and a six bird limit!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

While we REALLY need the rain we are getting, I wish it would have waited till Monday to start.

Or come in a month sooner. Nebraksa is looking screwed for waterfowl season this year in most places. The lack of rain has burned up most of the shallow sloughs and marshes. My main hunting buddy went out and confirmed that the marsh where he and I met and hunted often is almost a completely dry mudpit right now. Much of the western Platte River has dried up and has people driving on the riverbed. If you want any duck luck in much of the midwest this year, you're going to need to hit the big water hard.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Doing my first Coyote hunt tomorrow when I go down to get the feeders set up on the hunting lease.

And we ran out of Venison jerky and dry sausage last night. Need to get a deer ASAP

Skunked on the Coyotes. Did not see a single one.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Been setting up blinds and stand locations for weeks now... Bring on Oct. 1 in NY!!!! Freezer fillin time!!!!!
    Were any of your precious shrubbries attacked? ;-)

Nope. Unless you count the very stupid whitetail doe that we called in using a rabbit distress call.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Nope. Unless you count the very stupid whitetail doe that we called in using a rabbit distress call.

I've seen that fairly often. Does think it is a fawn in distress.

Adam J. McCleod

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Had a little close call while working up at the camp this weekend. Since we only have four tractors, Some folks were seeding, dragging, and spreading lime while others were repairing, moving, and clearing stands. I went through several cans of wasp spray and even found a dead owl in one of the shooting houses. On my way to one of the stands that I went to check on, one of the tractors had broken down and was blocking the road. I was only another hundred yards or so from the stand so I decided to just walk to it with my pole saw. I had cleared quite a few stands up to this point and had been very careful near the brush as we also have an abundance of rattle snakes. I walked down to the stand on a clear open road and as I got closer to it I saw a tree in front of it had grown tall enough to obstruct it and I walked the last few yards looking up at the tree while deciding how I was going to prune it. I stopped and pondered for a moment and heard a faint hissing and thought the fuel in my pole saw was venting as it was hot out and I had just refilled it. Then I heard a whoosh and something smacked the end of my pole saw. When I glanced down, I saw about a three foot rattle snake coiled up next to my left foot. I remember a moment of panic and suddenly I was ten feet from the snake. He elected to not run off and I elected to send him to snake heaven if there is such a place via .44 special perforation through it's head. I've got to learn to be more careful!

HuntingCamp9-15-12002.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Nothing like a close encounter with a buzztail to get the old adrenaline flowing! My nephew moved a concrete planter next to the walkway to our front porch one day and uncovered a small rattler. That one got some surgery administered by a garden hoe, and didn't survive the experience!
    Jerry
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    He elected to not run off and I elected to send him to snake heaven if there is such a place via .44 special perforation through it's head. I've got to learn to be more careful!

How was penetration? :jester:

In all seriousness, that kind of thing scares the hell out of me. This tour is my first time in rattler country (Nevada, that is) and they are rumored to be abundant in the mule deer mountains where I'll be hunting in a bit under a month. I've never seen a rattler here, but there's a first time for everything and I don't care to have that be while I'm miles from modern medicine with a pair of bite marks on my leg. Glad you managed to snuff yours out before he could make a second effort!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Snake chaps are your friend! They're also effective against another hazard out that way- - - -cholla cactus. Those things are nasty- - - -spines 2" long on a sphere-shaped bud that is pressurized inside. Brush up against a cholla, and the bush shakes violently and drives the spines 1/4" deep or so into any exposed flesh. The only way to remove the spines is with a pair of pliers, grit your teeth and yank! The plant is also called "jumping cactus". On a trip out west in the early 1970's my 4-year-old son, my wife (not Mary), her mother and I all got impaled on the same cholla plant, trying to rescue him after he blundered into one at a roadside rest stop. I ended up using a pair of fingernail clippers to cut off individual spines and free myself, then carefully cut everybody else loose. Then out came the pliers, and the spines got removed one at a time. They leave bits of the barbs in each wound, which then festers for weeks.

The animals in the desert aren't the only thing that bites!
    Jerry
    Sounds like...uuhh...fun. Yikes! I'll keep an eye out for those. Not the kind of good time that I'm after.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Oh my God. Hurts to watch that...but I gotta wonder if he wasn't just practicing for the pain involved in getting a matching pair of eye brow studs in the other eye.

Regardless, that is not pain I want to experience. Teach, I can't imagine what you went through getting the whole family de-thorned. :silly:
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    My kids say that all my stories about growing up in S Texas are about stickers, snakes, and/or bugs. I smile and say,"Yup"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,385 Senior Member
    Been bow hunting twice so far this year. Rifle opened last weekend but I missed it for the first time in 18 years. My daughter graduated form college. I'll be out this weekend and then the next week end for 10 days. I'll hunt alone this year for the first time in five years. I'm loooking forward to the peace and quiet.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,385 Senior Member
    Duck season starts next month:applause:
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: