Home Main Category General Firearms

.338 Federal and 210gr Nosler Partitions, "I can't get no satisfaction"

Replies

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Sometimes a Pencil thin barrel won't group well after 2 or 3 rounds. My Mark V 300 WBY's barrel is pretty thin and I just shoot three shots with it. Anything past that can be highly discouraging. But those first 2 or 3 shots are dead on.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Thanks again guys.

Durwood, I was starting to wonder about the things you mentioned, I think I was having some issues with the sand bags on the forestock, it seemed to settle down some when I had it resting closer to the action. I will be more dilligent with the cleaning.

Paul and Sixgun, I am not ready to give up on the H332, but I have Varget so there is some plan B.

Snake, it has been freezing overnight, she is plenty cool in the AM when I am shooting, I could see my breath today, barrel heating has been very mild at worst.

Jerm, did those bullets have a label that said "deep curl" on them? If not, I think I just mailed them to jbohio. I am at work, I will check later.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I can send 'em back. Plus my 10.
    There isn't much load data for them yet for .338WM, and I'm not gonna go buy a pound of powder to test 10 bullets, so I was gonna wait to try them 'till I find more data.
    jbohio wrote: »
    I can send 'em back. Plus my 10.
    There isn't much load data for them yet for .338WM, and I'm not gonna go buy a pound of powder to test 10 bullets, so I was gonna wait to try them 'till I find more data.
    Wait until i hit my LGS tomorrow before you send them.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Whenever you get to it, i would appreciate it, I am going to check the factory ammo I have on hand now until elk season unless my LGS has something to try on Fri when I am there.

Here it is.

Winchester-Western .284 brass necked up to .338
    Federal 210 pimers
    225 grain Speer Grand Slams
    53.2 grains RL17
    COAL ~2.8 inches

My rifle has a 23 inch barrel. Looking back, I wonder if that really makes sense, but that's what did.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Here it is.

Winchester-Western .284 brass necked up to .338
    Federal 210 pimers
    225 grain Speer Grand Slams
    53.2 grains RL17
    COAL ~2.8 inches

My rifle has a 23 inch barrel. Looking back, I wonder if that really makes sense, but that's what did.
    Thanks Jerry! Do you remember what velocities your were getting? Did you get two holes on game with this load?
    Thanks Jerry! Do you remember what velocities your were getting? Did you get two holes on game with this load?

I don't remember the exact mv, but it was something around 2575.

Not sure what you mean about the 2 holes, though.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member

I imagine he means through-and-through penetration.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    There isn't much load data for them yet for .338WM.
    Use the same data for the 225gr Hot-Cores that they are replacing. The shape is almost identical.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I don't remember the exact mv, but it was something around 2575.

If that's the case, then sort of.

The bullet hit the elk in the throat, as he was facing me. This blew part of his neck bone out the back of his neck, and caused the bullet to angle downward through the rib cage and finally lodge in the flank. So, if you count the blow out of the neck bone as a hole, then yes, there were two holes. The damage to the heart-lung chamber was very significant.

Here's a picture of an unfired cartridge, an unfired bullet, and the bullet I retrieved from the elk. Distance of the shot was about 230 yards.

bullet2_web.jpg

Other than paper, this is the only thing I've shot with this load.

We weighed the bullet after retrieving it, and it weighed something like 197 grains. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it retained over 90% of it's original weight, and you can see how well it expanded.

Hope this helps.

[edit]

Now I remember that this picture was out of focus. Here's are some better pictures, but just of the retrieved bullet.

bullet3_web.jpg

bullet4_web.jpg
    Jerry

If it can dislodge a vertebrae and keep going then that would make me happy:beer:.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Thanks again guys.

Durwood, I was starting to wonder about the things you mentioned, I think I was having some issues with the sand bags on the forestock, it seemed to settle down some when I had it resting closer to the action. I will be more dilligent with the cleaning.

Paul and Sixgun, I am not ready to give up on the H332, but I have Varget so there is some plan B.

Snake, it has been freezing overnight, she is plenty cool in the AM when I am shooting, I could see my breath today, barrel heating has been very mild at worst.

Jerm, did those bullets have a label that said "deep curl" on them? If not, I think I just mailed them to jbohio. I am at work, I will check later.

Chiro you definitely suck. It's hotter n blue blazes here in the day. We had a front come through a couple weeks back and cooled things down for a few days, but when it fizzled out, it got hotter I think.

Indian Summer's what SUCKS!!!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    It snowed 4 hours north where we hunt last friday, covered the ground white, wish I had been up to go grouse hunting in the snow in th AM before it melted.
    Deep Curls are on backorder at midway until December, price was right though.
    -Thomas Paine
    ...Better hurry and get some before Zee buys them all up.
    -Thomas Paine
    They are ordered, $18.14 for shipping:yikes:!:cuss::cuss:
    I hope Zee ordered his last night because they are out of stock now. You got the last box!
    -Thomas Paine
    They are ordered, $18.14 for shipping:yikes:!:cuss::cuss:
    ...And they still cost less than Accubonds and Partitions without shipping!
    -Thomas Paine
    Here is another bullet that we did not try in my .338 Federal, but by the flat base and relatively short length, I am betting that it will work. Speer 200gr Hot Cores. The guys with .338 Federals in the Midway reviews seem to be getting some good accuracy from them...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149677/speer-hot-cor-bullets-338-caliber-338-diameter-200-grain-spitzer-box-of-50

-Thomas Paine
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I didn't know those Deep Curls were so scarce. I'll keep my eyes peeled for 'em.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I hope Zee ordered his last night because they are out of stock now. You got the last box!

I he needs some, he just needs to ask.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,447 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

Ya, that would be a no. I was going to order them this week. Stumped again!!

No worries, I don't have the gun yet anyway.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Slowpoke! Remember plan B. I got you covered!
    -Thomas Paine
    Well, I WAS going to use a gift card to get them. But, I didn't have the card yet.
    Besides, $19 for shipping???!!!!!

Hell NO! That's as much as 50 bullets! Kinda defeats the purpose. I'll find them somewhere else.
    Zee wrote: »
    Besides, $19 for shipping???!!!!!

Hell NO! That's as much as 50 bullets! Kinda defeats the purpose. I'll find them somewhere else.
    You gotta buy more stuff! I think I paid about that much for 2 boxes of Deep Curls, three scopes, and 2000 rounds of CB caps for the last order I placed with them. Anyway, get your freaking credit card out and check your email. Hunting season is very close, Obama is up in the polls-- bullets are getting scarce! Quit dinking around.
    -Thomas Paine
    3 boxes ordered!
    Would you believe I had to do a verbal affidavit over the phone to order them?! Just because they had the word BULLET in their description!!!!

They still charged me $18 for shipping!

I hate when Midway and Brownell's don't have what I need. :tissue:
    I never bought from Cheaper Than Dirt before. That is kind of weird having to do the verbal affidavit thing. Those bullets are starting to get hard to find though. Powder Valley and Midsouth didn't have them either. I even checked Cabelas and Gander Mountain. Brownell's is starting to stock reloading stuff, but they don't have that much yet. I am still trying to find some brass for 250 Savage.
    -Thomas Paine