Home Main Category General Firearms

.338 Federal and 210gr Nosler Partitions, "I can't get no satisfaction"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,461 Senior Member
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. But, with shipping prices like that, it will likely be the last time I order from Cheaper than Dirt.

Either way, thanks for the link. They were the only game in town.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am still trying to find some brass for 250 Savage.
    Never mind. Cabela's had it. $11 shipping for 100pc of brass. :cuss:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Check your IMs.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Never mind. Cabela's had it. $11 shipping for 100pc of brass. :cuss:

If you have a Cabela's Visa, and use it to order, shipping is FREE! I hate using credit cards, but I've been using that one a bunch, and then paying it off immediately. It's probably saved me at least $150 in shipping in the last few months, it really saves on heavy stuff, like bullets.
    I had seen that, and no, I don't have one. But I do get 1% back in rewards from my AMEX and Mastercard so I actually buy everything that I can on them and pay them off every month. I bought all the appliances in my new house, plane tickets to Arizona and Alaska, and a few other things with those reward points.
    -Thomas Paine
    Chiro-- The sub-1/2" load that BP made for me with the 225gr Deep Curls is....
    Federal Brass
    CCI large rifle primers
    41gr of H-335
    OGL= 2.225"

It clocked about 2400fps on a Chrony and the bullet penetrated 4 water jugs and looked like the bullet on the right...
    100_0968.jpg
    The bullet had something like 94-96% weight retention and measured just under an inch expanded.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    Well, time is getting short, hope I can get back out to the range soon after the bullets get here, thanks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Keep in mind, OGL = Ogive length. Overall cartridge length to the bullets Ogive. Measured with a Hornady Bullet Comparator.

That's why the number is shorter than an OAL measurement.
    Jerm,

The accuracy results and your penetration results are what sold me on those bullets for the .338 cartridges.

I'd had excellent results with them in the 64gr .223 Remington and figured they'd work in others as well.
    Zee wrote: »
    Keep in mind, OGL = Ogive length. Overall cartridge length to the bullets Ogive. Measured with a Hornady Bullet Comparator.

That's why the number is shorter than an OAL measurement.

Yep, I had to look it up:tooth:. So what was the OAL? I do not have a Hornady Bullet Comparator.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Yep, I had to look it up:tooth:. So what was the OAL? I do not have a Hornady Bullet Comparator.

I will measure one tomorrow and let you know. About those Deep Curls-- I have been looking into those a bit more and come to find out, they make them the same way that they make Gold Dots. I am also going to go out on a limb and speculate that since Federal and Speer are both part of ATK, that the Federal Fusion ammo is the same basic bullet as well.
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and JB-- I will be working on a load for my .338 Win mag using that same bullet. I am going to start with 69gr of H4831 and go from there.
    -Thomas Paine
    About those Deep Curls-- I have been looking into those a bit more and come to find out, they make them the same way that they make Gold Dots. I am also going to go out on a limb and speculate that since Federal and Speer are both part of ATK, that the Federal Fusion ammo is the same basic bullet as well.

You would be correct.

I truly love GD handgun ammo. I had Federal Fusion ammo shoot sub MOA out of my .338 Win Mag. I've taken deer and hogs with 64gr GD and the .223 Rem. Yes, I think this is the beginning of a love affair with Speer for medium range cartridges that need to shoot well and penetrate.

If they just made them in 225gr .35cal...............
    My Kimber did seem to like the 200gr. Fusions until my scope came loose, that will be the net range trip ammo then.
    Oh, and JB-- I will be working on a load for my .338 Win mag using that same bullet. I am going to start with 69gr of H4831 and go from there.

Huh? You told me H4350 was THE powder to use! Lucky for me, I haven't wasted those DC's yet, been waiting till I got something resembling accuracy before I played with them.

I shot the M77 yesterday. At the very least, I shot groups! The 5lb trigger sucks. Parts are ordered. The pencil eraser recoil pad sucks as well. Parts are ordered. The best load w/ 225 SST's shot 1.5", I'll try the best 2 or 3 loads again, with improved trigger. Then, DC's.
    Well, 1.5" will kill your elk with no problem.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Huh? You told me H4350 was THE powder to use!
    If I did, I lied. I always go straight to 4831. 4350 is typically the next one in line though.
    -Thomas Paine
    I will measure one tomorrow and let you know.
    I haven't had a chance to make it by the mancave today, but the length of my loads are essentially the longest that will function in the magazine reliably. If it could have been longer, it would have. If you can get yours just off the lands, do it!
    -Thomas Paine
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Move your yankee butt over, I'm climbing out there with you.
    Since Speer pioneered them with the Gold Dot before ATK came on the scene, if they had the excess capacity, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the GD, Fusion and DC come from the same factory. Now if they did NOT have the excess capacity, then I expect the DC, Fusion and GD Rifle bullets are all coming from the same "new" plant and the handgun GD's are still coming from wherever they've been being made

That had better be one substantial limb!!! :popcorn: :yikes: :fan: :silly: :roll2: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:
    Natchez has ONE box of DC's, right now. I was gonna order them, but, $14.39 shipping on an $19 box of bullets. Might as well get Accubonds at the LGS.
    That's just stupid shipping price.

Tell them you'll send them a flat rate box. ;-)
    The shipping don't go up very much when you start adding more stuff to the cart. But yea, for a small order, that shipping bites!
    -Thomas Paine
    That's just stupid shipping price.

Tell them you'll send them a flat rate box. ;-)

No kidding! It's ridiculous.

I lose a lot of respect for companies that offer great prices, then gouge on shipping.
    Yep, lure you in.............then...........stick it to you at checkout.

Burn me once.........
    Yep, lure you in.............then...........stick it to you at checkout.

Burn me once.........

I burn myself enough, I try not to let other people do it at all!
    Gouging on shipping prices, the price companies KNOW we are willing to pay after being thoroughly enabled on THE gun forum:bang:
    They prey on our weakness.

Meanies!
    I have no weakness!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    If that's the case, then sort of.

The bullet hit the elk in the throat, as he was facing me. This blew part of his neck bone out the back of his neck, and caused the bullet to angle downward through the rib cage and finally lodge in the flank. So, if you count the blow out of the neck bone as a hole, then yes, there were two holes. The damage to the heart-lung chamber was very significant.[/IMG]

I found the note I originally posted regarding this. In one of my replies, I posted the weight of the recovered bullet. It was 199.6 grains.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    jbohio wrote: »
    No kidding! It's ridiculous.

I lose a lot of respect for companies that offer great prices, then gouge on shipping.

Cheaper Than Dirt can kiss my Carney BUTT!!!!!

When I ordered the bullets on Sunday, I was charged $18 for shipping and told they would be delivered in 2-3 business days. That would be TODAY!!! So, I call them and ask the status of my package. The lady can't track it but gives me the UPS tracking number to check myself.

I track the package and UPS shows delivery next Monday the 8th!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Almost $20 in shipping cost and it takes over a week to deliver a 5 pound package? After being told 3 days?

They can write me off and kiss me goodbye.

Piss of, Cheaper than Dirt!