Home Main Category General Firearms

Dick's Sporting Goods sells..... Troy?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,577 Senior Member
I was in there today and low and behold, Troy Ind. products. Lots of them. Rails, ladders, covers, grips, magazines, slings, QD sling mounts, index plate sling mounts, vert grips (shorties and standards) and, gasp, muzzle devices! Prices were on par with any catalog on the interwebs.

The local Gander Mountain here also sells a good bit of 5.11 products. I'm not a 5.11 fan, per ce, but to see them stocking the stuff shows they are trying to be progressive.

-Jason
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Yep, and the local Wal-Mart has started selling AR-15s.

It's a whole new world, brah! :tooth:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,870 Senior Member
    The local WalMart is selling Blackhawk! gear.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    I think the only apparel company I dislike more than 5.11 is Blackhawk!. However, I like to see a progressive sales attitude.

My local Wally Mart is selling the Nikon M-223 1-4x and the 3-12x version. In blister packs, but oh well, its the same scope.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    I'm not a fan of "tactical" gear. Mainly because I don't need it and most people who use it are mall-ninjas.

That being said, at work we've been given the opportunity to use the 5.11 Taclite Shorts for our uniform shorts. Those are awesome! Durable, comfortable, roomy, and well-built. They last better than the Propper BDU-style shorts we were being issued (things would look worn out after 6 washings) and look more professional when out, being less likely to wrinkle.

Makes me wish we could get the Taclite cargo pants our officers and the Forestry Department's folks are being issued. It would be nice to have some pants that could go a year without looking beat up and shabby....
    I'm just here for snark.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,122 Senior Member
    I just wish the local Dick's and wal-mart would have had duck hunting ammo
    so I did not have to buy it on line.

Have not seen any of the tac gear I need yet. But, if it were shrimp colored
    I'm not a fan of "tactical" gear. Mainly because I don't need it and most people who use it are mall-ninjas.

That being said, at work we've been given the opportunity to use the 5.11 Taclite Shorts for our uniform shorts. Those are awesome! Durable, comfortable, roomy, and well-built. They last better than the Propper BDU-style shorts we were being issued (things would look worn out after 6 washings) and look more professional when out, being less likely to wrinkle.

Makes me wish we could get the Taclite cargo pants our officers and the Forestry Department's folks are being issued. It would be nice to have some pants that could go a year without looking beat up and shabby....

Tru-Spec and Horace Smalls make some nice pants/shorts, too. Horace Smalls just introduced a new line of light-weight fabrics and so have Tru-Spec. They are priced well and I am in love with the Tru-Spec 24-7 pants. I replaced all of my "class c" pants with these.
    NN wrote: »
    I just wish the local Dick's and wal-mart would have had duck hunting ammo
    so I did not have to buy it on line.

Have not seen any of the tac gear I need yet. But, if it were shrimp colored

Mack's Prairie Wings, brother.

I am about to make another mass purchase of Hevi-Shot ammo from them. Pricey, yes, but best shipping prices on the planet from them on heavy parcels. I ordered a few bricks from then a couple years ago and I am now down to 5 boxes. Time to stock back up.

Hevi-Shot is the cat's meow. Them ducks have been dead since Canada, Hevi-Shot just had the balls to tell them.
    But I needed it now, not in some unknown future time.

If a store doesn't have what people need when the season begins,
    you can't trust them to have it later when the season is in full swing
    and your down to one box left.

I'm sure it is local managers not being aggressive in their stocking.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Tru-Spec and Horace Smalls make some nice pants/shorts, too. Horace Smalls just introduced a new line of light-weight fabrics and so have Tru-Spec. They are priced well and I am in love with the Tru-Spec 24-7 pants. I replaced all of my "class c" pants with these.
    Ah, but why pay out of pocket when you can get decent gear from the uniform company?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • jdmjdm New Member Posts: 27 New Member
    it has nothing to do with being progressive. store stock whats popular. and right now its ar15s. its all about making a buck...thats all.
    Ah, but why pay out of pocket when you can get decent gear from the uniform company?

Because my department will not buy them. They like buying crap.

Blauer... :vomit:
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Yep, and the local Wal-Mart has started selling AR-15s.

It's a whole new world, brah! :tooth:

Hey, after almost 4 years with no guns our hometown Walmart is selling them again, and they have great prices. They've got a Ruger American Rifle in I think .308 for like $350. That's a deal on a great rifle.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    But I needed it now, not in some unknown future time.

If a store doesn't have what people need when the season begins,
    you can't trust them to have it later when the season is in full swing
    and your down to one box left.

I'm sure it is local managers not being aggressive in their stocking.

I will have to agree with ya here NN. If a store ain't got what one needs they ain't no guarantee the store will have it later. When I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods back in the day the managers didn't order nothing. We had what they called purchasing agents that bought the items they thought each store should carry.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Hey, after almost 4 years with no guns our hometown Walmart is selling them again, and they have great prices. They've got a Ruger American Rifle in I think .308 for like $350. That's a deal on a great rifle.

Not bad Snake, and BTW I have been in some Walmart store that don't carry guns and ammo, and I have been in some that do!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Because my department will not buy them. They like buying crap.

Blauer... :vomit:
    Well then, that's a different issue. I'm lucky that I can get generally good quality gear.
    I'm just here for snark.
    I will have to agree with ya here NN. If a store ain't got what one needs they ain't no guarantee the store will have it later. When I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods back in the day the managers didn't order nothing. We had what they called purchasing agents that bought the items they thought each store should carry.
    I think for most stores like Dick's an wal-mart it is that way; however,
    back a few years the sporting goods manager at one of the wal-marts would be pushy
    until he had what was needed for the various hunting seasons and the store sold a lot of
    those items. And you could depend on being able to get what you needed, as opposed to
    everything you might want.