Home Main Category General Firearms

Hey JerryBobCo

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
What round did you say you chambered your Model 88 in? Was it .338-06 or .338x284?

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    What round did you say you chambered your Model 88 in? Was it .338-06 or .338x284?

funny
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    funny

No, I wasn't being funny.... :confused:
    No, I wasn't being funny.... :confused:

Ok. My apologies.

It's a 338x284.
    Jerry

I think you may have interpreted my post as something other than it was.

I've seen you discuss both cartridges and I know you chambered your 88 in one of them. I'm guessing by your reply that I've made some error, but I don't know enough about cartridges or firearms in general to even know what it is I said....
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Ok. My apologies.

It's a 338x284.

Ok. Reason I was asking isi thought it was the other until you posted in Chiro's thread...

I was fairly ignorant of the .338-06, having wanted a .35 Whelen for so long, but the recent posts about this cartridge intrigued me...

And, to be perfectly honest, I got it and your 338x284 completely confused.
    I think you may have interpreted my post as something other than it was.

I've seen you discuss both cartridges and I know you chambered your 88 in one of them. I'm guessing by your reply that I've made some error, but I don't know enough about cartridges or firearms in general to even know what it is I said....

Buffy, I did indeed misinterpret the gist of your post. I'll try to explain what I know, and hope that others will chime in and clear up anything I've mis-stated or forgot to mention.

The big difference between the 338-06 and the 338x284 is case length. The 338-06 is based on a 30-06 case, while the 338x284 is based on the .284 Winchester case. The 30-06 case is longer than the .284 case, and requires that it be chambed in a long action, whereas anything based on the .284 case can be chambered in a short action. The .284 case is the same length as the .308 family of cartridges.

While that sounds good for fans of short action cartridges, the rub comes in when you realize that you can't really take advantage of the case capacity because you have to seat the bullet deeper if you want to stay with a short action. This means that you either have to go with diminished powder capacity or a lighter, shorter bullet. Of course, since this is a wildcat cartridge, you can always chamber it in a long action, but that sort of defeats the purpose of short action chamberings.

This is probably why you see most .284 based wildcat cartridges necked down instead of necked up.
    Jerry

That explains it fairly well. My problem was, I was also mixing up the .280 Rem and the .284.

It's confusing when the nominal size of the former is the same as the name of the latter.

Since I knew the .280 was a child of the .30-06, I was wondering what the difference was between the two cartridges I asked you about in the first post. I wasn't aware that the .284 was a short action cartridge.

Thanks.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    And with no other qualifications beside it's my opinion......If I ever build an "elk-specific" rifle, it'll be a .338-06. That's been my dream elk chambering for several years now.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    One more thing re. the .284 Winchester.

I like to think of it as the original short magnum. While it's case length is the same as that of the .308 family, it features a larger diameter case then the .308 family and a rebated rim. That is, the diameter of the rim is the same as the diameter of a .308 rim, and smaller than the diameter of the .284 case.

This can lead to problematic chambering of rounds from the magazine. When I shot the elk in my avatar, my first shot missed, and I had some difficulty chambering a second one. Fortunately, I connected on that shot, as I was not able to chamber the third shot in any sort of reasonable time. From now on, I'll probably only keep two rounds in the magazine, or one in the chamber and one in the magazine.
    Jerry

Linefinder wrote: »
    And with no other qualifications beside it's my opinion......If I ever build an "elk-specific" rifle, it'll be a .338-06. That's been my dream elk chambering for several years now.

Mike

I don't think you can wrong doing that, Mike.
    Jerry