Home Main Category General Firearms

Sshhhh! I'm making little missiles

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,349 Senior Member

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    The FPS box has a ? in it. Anyone care to guess.....? I'll chronograph it as soon as I get a chance. And I'll put my guesstimate up here before I chrono it.

ETA - Oh, and I guess I won't cheat you all out of the test gun specs. 10 1/2 inch Smith and Wesson Performance Center 460 XVR. Chrony will be 10 feet from the muzzle.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Care to see if you can start your shirt on fire with one of your missles:angel2:

A revolver to shoot Casull loads is on my list:cool2:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Do they make that round in a lever gun, pardon my ignorance because I always have tunnel vision and only pay attention to what I'm interested in at the moment.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Care to see if you can start your shirt on fire with one of your missles:angel2:

Sorry. I won't fall for that with this one. [IMG][/IMG]
    knitepoet wrote: »
    2250fps

I might be very wrong, but that's very close to my guesstimate.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Thats the picture I was thinking of, are you running the missles a little hotter?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thats the picture I was thinking of, are you running the missles a little hotter?

This load is 1.5 grains above what was fired in that picture.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,447 Senior Member
    Those aren't missles. Those are short range artillery!!!!!! :drool2:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    My guess is 1950 fps
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Not quite a .270, but...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Not quite a .270, but...then again, what is?

See there, I fixed it for ya!!!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    :agree::agree::agree::agree: Jay, your secret is safe with me, MUM's the word man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:guns:
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Jay I see your using Winchester 296. Back in the day when I first got into reloading I used the Winchester 296 quite a bit..
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Do they make that round in a lever gun, pardon my ignorance because I always have tunnel vision and only pay attention to what I'm interested in at the moment.

Snake IIRC and correct me if I am wrong here folks, I think Marlin made a lever gun that shot the .460 round.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,039 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    250px-Looney_Tunes_Martian.jpg

Where was the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom..."
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    A revolver to shoot Casull loads is on my list:cool2:.

You might just consider getting a Smith in 460 to start with. Especially if you reload. Then you can fire 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460. I started with a 454 Casull before going to the 460.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,039 Senior Member
    You might just consider getting a Smith in 460 to start with. Especially if you reload. Then you can fire 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460. I started with a 454 Casull before going to the 460.

And if you get the cyl machined for Moonclips, you can shoot .45ACP
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    True and that would be cool. Personally, if I wanted to shoot little plinkers in this gun, I'd leave the cylinder alone and load some 45 Schofield brass.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    True and that would be cool. Personally, if I wanted to shoot little plinkers in this gun, I'd leave the cylinder alone and load some 45 Schofield brass.

45 Short Colt.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    45 Short Colt.

Now THAT'S funny!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    snake284-1 wrote: »

Snake, I'm not aware of a lever action in 460. It would have to be a pretty stout one to handle the pressure of the 460 cartridge. I do know that there are lever actions in 454 Casull. I've been wanting one for quite some time. Would make a heck of a short range deer and hog gun.
    Zee wrote: »

The evening the fireball pic was caught and everyone was looking at it on my buddy's camera screen, I got the nickname "battleship" for the rest of the weekend. :guns:

USS-Iowa1.jpg
    I'm going to try to get out this weekend to chronograph and test some of these. I loaded 40 of these last night and, since I had one piece of brass left over, I pulled a 240 grain Hornady XTP out of one of my 454 loads and seated it on the same powder charge as the 200 grain FTX's. That's about middle-high end according to my Hornady book. Only have one, but I'm curious to see how it goes. I haven't shot anything other than 200 grain bullets with this gun so far.

So here are the velocity guesses so far;

Knitepoet = 2250
    Durwood = 1950

I'll go ahead and throw my guesstimate out there now. I might be a tad high, but I'm being optimistic and hoping for 2300, so that's my guess. As a hint, Hornady says it should be pretty close to what Knitepoet guesses, but actual velocity from this gun has been a bit higher in the past. Hornady also says thier factory 200 grain FTX loads are 2200 FPS, but they averaged 2400 out of my 10 1/2 inch barrel.
  • finnfanfinnfan New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    Sorry. I won't fall for that with this one. 460blast-1.jpg

Is that a real picture?
    finnfan wrote: »
    Is that a real picture?

Yes, it is. No photoshop or changes other than cropping it.
  • finnfanfinnfan New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    Yes, it is. No photoshop or changes other than cropping it.
    All that muzzle blast and no recoil/muzzle flip? And it looks like the hammer is cocked?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,447 Senior Member
    It looks like a a flash was used in the picture. On an extended shutter speed, the flash captures the photo before the shooter fires. Then, as soon as the flash goes off the shooter fires the gun and thats how you get the muzzle blast captured on the frame.

Easily done. I've done it tons of times.

It's a real picture.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee explains it correctly. Thanks for that. I'm not very educated when it comes to digital camera tech, my buddy took the picture. All I had to do was pull the trigger. I was a little confused by the hammer thing as well when I first saw it, until it was explained to me.
    finnfan wrote: »
    no recoil/muzzle flip?

There is plenty of recoil and muzzle flip when you shoot a 460................There's no doubt about that.
    I got out today and put some rounds over the chornograph. I pretty well knew I was hoping for too much, but I had to see it to believe it. Overall, I wasn't all that impressed. But some more time on the bench will help, I'm sure.

I was able to get 9 rounds chronographed. Shooting right before sundown with the sun to my back, the chrony started getting funky and not reading well not long after I started. Average velocity for this load was 2124. Extreme spread was 150 FPS, just hitting above 2200 on the high side.

On the target, I was struggling a little. I need to shoot this thing more. Most of the groups I shot, I flinched the first shot, then settled in and shot better. Even with the flinch, I was able to get 5 rounds in about 3 1/2 - 4 inches at 25 yards on the bench. At 50 yards, I fired a three shot group with the first shot pulled about 5 inches off due to my flinch, then the next 2 touching each at point of aim. I put up a paper plate at 50 yards with a small dot in the middle and fired a 5 round group at it. 5 rounds in about 5 inches. This is with the factory irons sights. I'm ok with that for now. With a scope on the gun, I hope for better.

Right toward the end of the shooting session, I started to get comfortable with it again. It takes a bit for me to settle in and get used to the blast. What I started to notice was, when I made a good shot and it being right before sundown, I could see a bright orange/yellow blast right in front of my face for a split second. If I didn't see the flash, I flinched. It was a matter of seeing the gun fire, or closing my eyes and grabbing the trigger. That's what I think I need to work on and get better at.

So, as far as the three of us that dared to guess at the velocity of this load, Knitepoet wins. Or, his computer software won. :tooth: Paul was off by 126 FPS. Less than the extreme spread that I got. Durwood was off by 174 FPS. I was off by 176 FPS.

Learned a little today.