Intresting breakdown on income recovery in red, blue and swing states

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,662 Senior Member
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-09-26/red-blue-states-income-economy/57846600/1
Here's a snippet of it
Income is growing much faster in Republican-leaning "red states" than in Democratic-tilting "blue states" or the pivotal swing states that will decide the 2012 presidential election, a USA TODAY analysis finds.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member
    Missed this part:
    The big drivers of red state income growth: energy and government benefit payments such as food stamps

The other thing I would add is Agriculture is no doubt helping a lot of the Midwestern red states. Ag commodities prices have been up a lot over the past few years which helps increase farm income.

Another useful nugget:
    The difference in income gains is partly because blue states are richer and more populated than red states — 42% of the nation's income vs. 30% in red states

It will be interesting however to see how if at all this impacts the election. I know there has been some tension between the Romney campaign which want's to make things look as bad as possible and some Republican governors in swing states touting their own economic successes in their re-election campaigns.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • SideOfBaconSideOfBacon Member Posts: 111 Member
    Medicare seems to be playing big there too: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/medicare-working-to-boost-obama-in-swing-states-poll-finds/2012/09/27/b8a53a0e-0822-11e2-858a-5311df86ab04_story.html?hpid=z1

Short version: People are unhappy about Obamacare, but are more scared of proposed medicare changes in Ryan's plan.

To be honest, there were things I didn't like about Ryan's plan. But, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Defense cost more than the US makes in taxes per year. Meaning, you can't seriously balance the budget without reducing, or in SOME way ADDRESSING these. Ryan's budget did, and he is getting hit HARD for it. It scares me to think anyone that gives a serious try to address the budget is suddenly a pariah.