Home Main Category General Firearms

Found a Winchester 88 today...

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
First one I'd ever seen, let alone handle. The lever and bolt throw was smooth. Good blueing, nice wood, chambered in .243, which is the caliber I'm going to for deer hunting.

I was sore tempted. Price? $900....

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    First one I'd ever seen, let alone handle. The lever and bolt throw was smooth. Good blueing, nice wood, chambered in .243, which is the caliber I'm going to for deer hunting.

I was sore tempted. Price? $900....

Does the stock have cut checkering or an oak leaf pattern stamped into it? If it's cut checkering, it's a pre-64, and probably worth every penny of the asking price. If it has the oak leaf stamped in, it's post-64, and not worth as much. However, I really don't know what a fair price is for this rifle now. I paid $600 for mine about 10 years ago. I bought it from a local guy.

What I can tell you is that the .243 is the 2nd most popular chambering of this model, behind the .308. That adds to its value. It can also be very accurate. I have one that was made in 1959, and had a lot of difficulty getting it to shoot well. I finally took it to a gunsmith who glass bedded all but the last inch or two of the barrel channel, and now it's a very accurate shooter. I've taken several antelope with mine.

If you get it, I think you'll like it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    They are nice rifles. A good substitute would be a Savage 99 in 243 and a lot less money.

DSC00358.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    The 99s are nice, but I'm a huge fan of the 88s. When I was 16, I spent half of a summer's pay on a .308 model 88. It was stolen years ago, but I have slowly been collecting them. I guess you can say they're one of my passions.

I bought a Savage 99 chambered in .243 at an auction several years ago. I wasn't planning on bidding on it, but no one else was so I jumped in. I ended up getting it for $200. Before I walked out the door, a guy stopped me and asked if I would be interested in selling. I said I would, and sold it two days later for $240. I'm still kicking myself ever since for doing that.

[edit]

Oh yeah, I forgot. Here's my .243.

M88-243R.jpg
    Jerry

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I've seen quite a few 88's around here lately, seems like they were priced around $600.
    Really cool rifles, for sure.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Seems a bit ironic, the Savage is a 99 and the newer Winchester is an 88. But they look so similar. They're both classics now.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Jerry, did they ever make the 88 in .250 Savage?
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Jerry, did they ever make the 88 in .250 Savage?

Nope, .243, .308 ,.284, and .358

Sako
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Seems a bit ironic, the Savage is a 99 and the newer Winchester is an 88. But they look so similar. They're both classics now.

I don't think I have ever seen a Winchester model 88 but I did have a Savage Model 99 lever, .308 cal. with two magazines... I didn't sell it. I gave the rifle away to buddy I worked with for years and years, in Colorado.. He always liked that .308 of mine.. Rod retired in 2004, and I gave him my Savage 99 and both magazines,plus the ammo, for two reasons. Retirement; and the foremost reason he was a Marine in the 1960's. A Veteran. Had Rod not been a Veteran I doubt I would have gave him my rifle. I have seen a few Savage Model 99's since, haven't bought another one yet but I might sometime before they all get gone. As far as I know to this date he still has it.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few 88's around here lately, seems like they were priced around $600.

AH jb., 600.00 dollars sound a heck of a lot better than 900.00 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Condition makes a difference. The Standard Catalog of Firearms shows that $900 is about right for a M88 .243 post '64 in excellent condition (98%). Or for a pre '64 in good condition (80%). Those are great rifles and will probably escalate in value in the future.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    My first centerfire rifle was a Model 88 in .308 - a beautiful, accurate rifle that was lost in a burglary.

Are they .308s or something else? If .308s, that sounds about right. The other chamberings demand more.

If you can ever find a Model 88 chambered in .358 for $600 buy it as fast as you can get the money out of your pocket. Those in good condition routinely sell for upwards of $3000, which is the main reason I don't have one, and probably never will.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Are they .308s or something else? If .308s, that sounds about right. The other chamberings demand more.

If you can ever find a Model 88 chambered in .358 for $600 buy it as fast as you can get the money out of your pocket. Those in good condition routinely sell for upwards of $3000, which is the main reason I don't have one, and probably never will.

308's. I always look for them, just 'cause of your posts. There's one guy at the gun shows that has had one in his booth for quite a while now. Last show I saw several. Centerfire rifles in general just don't sell well around here, unless they're "tacticool".
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 358.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I am very dissappointed. Called the not very local gun store today.

The gun was gone. Shoulda bought it..
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    The 33rd Edition of Blue Book shows the following prices for a Pre-64 model in
    .243 Win 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $1,395 $1,250 $1,100 $950 $825 $750 $550

For future reference.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    He's not that big...
    I'm just here for snark.
    Nomadac wrote: »
    The 33rd Edition of Blue Book shows the following prices for a Pre-64 model in
    .243 Win 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $1,395 $1,250 $1,100 $950 $825 $750 $550

For future reference.

Can you post the listed values for the same rifle chambered in .284? Assume pre-64, please.
    Jerry

• Win73Win73 Member Posts: 41 Member
    I had a Winchester 88 many years ago. It was before I was married so it would be about 40. It was a 308 and was the carbine version. Since the action was so long, that meant the barrel was only 18 inches. Talk about muzzle blast! I could see the tall grass wave 20 or 30 feet down range. As I would shoot it at the club I belonged to then, anyone close to me would tend to move farther away from me on the shooting benches.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
    (Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    Win73 wrote: »
    I had a Winchester 88 many years ago. It was before I was married so it would be about 40. It was a 308 and was the carbine version. Since the action was so long, that meant the barrel was only 18 inches. Talk about muzzle blast! I could see the tall grass wave 20 or 30 feet down range. As I would shoot it at the club I belonged to then, anyone close to me would tend to move farther away from me on the shooting benches.

Too bad you didn't keep it. The carbines are hard to find, and pricey. I have a .308 carbine, but don't notice exceptional muzzle blast. It should make a heck of a heavy/close cover gun for deer and even elk.
    Jerry

I saw one at the gun show again, yesterday. Pristine, 308. The guy had a sign on it that said "$750 book value. Sell or trade"
    I really wanted to take a pic, but no pics allowed at the show.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    I saw one at the gun show again, yesterday. Pristine, 308. The guy had a sign on it that said "$750 book value. Sell or trade"
    I really wanted to take a pic, but no pics allowed at the show.

What is the rationale for that?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    It's a blanket rule against pics or video. My guess is, they don't want the anti's being able to have pics of "shady" gun show deals.
    There was a big stink a few years ago, Bloomberg sent a guy to one of the bigger shows here, and he bought $5000 worth of guns in under 2 hrs without a single background check.

What the news forgot to report was that he bought them all from private sellers.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    What is the rationale for that?

We have that same rule over here. Its mainly cos most gun owners dont like publicity or being identified as such for security purposes.

Either that or guys that frequent gunshows are scared of their wives finding out........................:whip2:.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Can you post the listed values for the same rifle chambered in .284? Assume pre-64, please.

(1964-1973 Mfg)
    .284 Win 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $2,000 $1,700 $1,500 $1,200 $1,000 $750 $600
    .284 (Intro-1963)
    $2,850 $2,550 $2,300 $2,100 $1,650 $1,150 $850

Satisfied?
    Nomadac wrote: »
    (1964-1973 Mfg)
    .284 Win 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $2,000 $1,700 $1,500 $1,200 $1,000 $750 $600
    .284 (Intro-1963)
    $2,850 $2,550 $2,300 $2,100 $1,650 $1,150 $850

Satisfied?

Yes, I am.

Thanks!
    Jerry

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    It's a blanket rule against pics or video. My guess is, they don't want the anti's being able to have pics of "shady" gun show deals.
    There was a big stink a few years ago, Bloomberg sent a guy to one of the bigger shows here, and he bought $5000 worth of guns in under 2 hrs without a single background check.

What the news forgot to report was that he bought them all from private sellers.

Gotcha, I would think a seller would allow a camera phone picture if you are looking for someone else.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Lowglide9Lowglide9 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel your pain - my father's pre '64 Model 88 .308 was recently stolen from a local gunsmith (possibly has a new barrel). Dad had four daughters and that gun fed us for a lot of years. It was also the first rifle any of us girls ever shot and we have hunted with it for decades. I am presently trying to price that .308 for insurance purposes - I dearly would like to add sentimental value but not part of the package.

SHOULD ANYONE SEE A PRE-64 MODEL 88 LEVER ACTION .308 WITH A FOUR DIGIT S.N. AND A RUNNING ANTELOPE HAND-CARVED INTO THE STOCK, PLEASE TAKE WHATEVER ACTION YOU FEEL NECESSARY...THEN CONTACT ME.