"Save Your Bacon" global Bacon Shortage 'Unavoidable?' A Porkpocalypse?

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
I have been seeing scattered reports on this global and US bacon/pork shortage they say is comming next year. Although this article deals mainly with the issue in the UK, I have heard the US might be facing a bacon/pork shortage too:
With pork costs rising, Great Britain is facing a bacon and sausage shortage as pig farmers cut back on herd size. But the problem may soon become global.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/bacon-sausage-shortage_n_1909609.html

With the USA's midwest drought this year, who knows what we will see:

It's unavoidable, really. Drought in the USA and Europe pushed up the price of corn and soya beans, making it that much more expensive for farmers to fatten up their delicious, delicious swine, and prompting them to scale down their herds.

The NPA has started up the Save Our Bacon campaign, which seeks to encourage British consumers to buy local pork products instead of looking further afield.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/porkpocalypse-world-bacon-pork-shortages-expected-2012

Back in the 1960 when I lived in NC, there were a lot of private and commerical Hog Farms... I don't know where NC ranks now in pork production. Some of our neighbors raised hogs, for food. I can tell ya this: I hope they ain't no pork shortage this year or any other year!!!!!!!!!! I would really miss by bacon and pork (poke) chops, and Bar-B-Q sandwiches and ribs with cole slaw of course.. One has to understand that a Hog is the only animal created by God, where everything from the "Rooter to the Pooter" is eatable!!!!!!!!!!!! They ain't no food waste on a hog!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    That whole "bacon shortage" thing was a hoax. It might be more expensive, due to the corn and soybean prices increasinh, but there won't be a shortage.
    http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012/09/27/14123841-hogwash-bacon-shortage-is-a-load-of-bull?lite
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,778 Senior Member
    The price of feed has almost doubled, from about $50 per hog to $95. Pork production is going down about 12%. 20 lbs of bacon from a 200lb hog. Just like everything else, as soon as "they" say the price is going up, hang on to your wallets.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,252 Senior Member
    I tallied my feed bill last night and it was $236 per hog. My hogs are closer to 300 lbs, and I don't feed them the cheap corn-filled crap.

Cut and wrapped, I am roughly paying $2.80 per lbs. That includes 25 lbs of bacon.

Commercial pork is cheaper, but I no longer eat it.

pork.jpg
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,722 Senior Member
    Commercial pork may be cheaper, but it ain't better...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,293 Senior Member
    Europe is going to have problems as feed is in short supply there. We will have enough, but it will be higher cost due to the drought this year. And the stupid, idiotic, moronic, brain dead, foolishness of turning corn into ethanol for low grade fuel for vehicles.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Bacon shortage?!!!?????

Psycho_Asian.jpg

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Commercial pork may be cheaper, but it ain't better...

:that:

Ayn Rand
  • ace7644ace7644 Member Posts: 55 Member
    I think if there was a world shortage the US would be the last place to feel it, just because we would be able to afford the increased price more so than any other country.
    ace7644 wrote: »
    I think if there was a world shortage the US would be the last place to feel it, just because we would be able to afford the increased price more so than any other country.

Don't you mean the government would subsidize the pork market, so the 47 percenters would stop feeling so oppressed?

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Don't you mean the government would subsidize the pork market, so the 47 percenters would stop feeling so oppressed?

They already do, indirectly. Huge farm subsidy payments to huge corporate farms that grow corn, soybeans, etc.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,305 Senior Member
    2.80 a pound aint bad, really. Some cuts are cheaper, some are more than that. Around here, decent bacon is over that 2.80 figure. And fresh bacon and store bought crap aint even CLOSE to being in the same league. Gimme a plate full of fresh, UN-CURED bacon...MMMMMMMM!
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,238 Senior Member
    Its all a plot by the Obama administration to throw a bone to the Muslims by cutting down on the amount of "unclean" pork available to Americans.

Please note that this IS one of those posts needing a sarcasm font.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Back from the butcher...who in the hell eats uncured bacon?!?!

bacon.jpg

Ayn Rand
    Uncured bacon is pork belly, I believe.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,750 Senior Member
    And the primate would be correct :agree:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    And the primate would be correct :agree:

Yep^^^^^^^^^^^^^:agree:
    breamfisher wrote:

I believe you be right Sir.. I will have to check the commodities market today and see what pork bellies are going for!!!!!!!!!Pork bellies AKA Chiterlings or chitlins Yum Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with collard greens, grits, homemade biscuits etc. Homemade Sourthern sweet tea!!!!!!!!!!! ain't notin better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bacon.jpg

Looking good caliFFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean ya ain't a fixin some Califorina rolls????????????? I likes that Tabasco sauce ya got there What you making? Sandwich or eggs?

CaliFFL wrote:

I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when I can find them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! most southern folks do!!!
    Its all a plot by the Obama administration to throw a bone to the Muslims by cutting down on the amount of "unclean" pork available to Americans.

Please note that this IS one of those posts needing a sarcasm font.[/QUOTE]

Its all a plot by the Obama administration to throw a bone to the Muslims by cutting down on the amount of "unclean" pork available to Americans.]

Many a truth has been said in Jest:jester::jester: Good one KSU!!!!!!!!! On the other hand it would not surprise me a bit.. I used to big,big on conspiracy theories, not so much now, but back when I wore a younger man clothes, I was!!!!!!!!!! I will write Odummy a letter and inform him that I will wash my pork,before consumption and that will make it clean pork:rotflmao:

I know what it is, I don't know why someone would eat it without cure and smoke. C'mon, it's supposed to be smoky and salty!

Ayn Rand
    Looking good caliFFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean ya ain't a fixin some Califorina rolls????????????? I likes that Tabasco sauce ya got there What you making? Sandwich or eggs?

BLT's on sourdough, with habanero Tabasco.

Ayn Rand
    BLT's on sourdough, with habanero Tabasco.

Ah Yes CaliFFL, one of my favorite sandwiches too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to pass on the habanero Tabasco sauce, My old stomach can't handle it like I could when I wore a younger man's clothes... I can use/have something a little lighter on the hot peppers ..... Texas Pete, or regular Tabasco for me..
    I know what it is, I don't know why someone would eat it without cure and smoke. C'mon, it's supposed to be smoky and salty!
    Pork belly ain't bacon, kinda like a cucumber ain't a pickle. The cure and smoke is much of what makes it bacon.

Tasty, delicious, bacon...

Pork belly's mainly used for flavoring or in Asian cuisine.

But why listen to CPJ. He sugars his cornbread, doesn't put sugar in his tea, and probably has other poor food tastes.
    Overkill is underrated.
    breamfisher wrote:
    But why listen to CPJ. He sugars his cornbread, doesn't put sugar in his tea, and probably has other poor food tastes.

Whats wrong with a little sugar in some cornbread mix? I like it like that too! I likes sweetened Tea too. I also put ketchup on my hotdogs, scambled eggs, freemdom fries,etc. BTW bream, what's a Rich food taste?:spittingcoffee::cool2:
    Sugar + cornbread does not equal cornbread.

Sugar + cornbread = corncake, a YamnDankee creation forced upon us to subvert native Southern culture.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 684 Senior Member
    I just put two pigs in the freezer, both were cull pigs that couldn't get sold. Buddy gave them to me, nothing wrong with them at all, packer just wouldn't take them. Cost me $300 to process them and a case of beer for my buddy. That's some cheap pork, we should be set for a while on bacon and sausage.

Cause its MUCH better, thats why.
    Zee
    Pork belly ain't bacon, kinda like a cucumber ain't a pickle. The cure and smoke is much of what makes it bacon.

Tasty, delicious, bacon...

Pork belly's mainly used for flavoring or in Asian cuisine.

I dont like RC cola. Or Moon Pies.
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »

Witch! Witch! Burn the witch!

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,977 Senior Member
    I just put two pigs in the freezer, both were cull pigs that couldn't get sold. Buddy gave them to me, nothing wrong with them at all, packer just wouldn't take them. Cost me $300 to process them and a case of beer for my buddy. That's some cheap pork, we should be set for a while on bacon and sausage.

Wow, good deal. you have any room left in the freezer for deer? Gotta like local beef, pork, and chicken AND a good butcher to process them.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj wrote: »

You have now gone from using a shovel to dig your hole, to a backhoe. And not Tennmike's...
    Overkill is underrated.