"Save Your Bacon" global Bacon Shortage 'Unavoidable?' A Porkpocalypse?

2»

Replies

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,624 Senior Member
    Was that a east bound swallow- er duck???
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,360 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    But how do you know Im a witch?

Thou hast spoke vile blasphemy against RC Cola and Moon Pies. Ye must be in league with the evil one to say such!

Hey, Ned, can I borrow a half rick of wood? Gotta burn a witch.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,517 Senior Member
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    But how do you know Im a witch?

You turned me I into a newt....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock

Did you get better?
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    I'm in the middle of the eastern hog butchering capital. I've got at least 4 HUGE pork processing plants within 10mi. And several smaller fresh hog farms. Just bought 5-1lb packages of Hatfield bacon for $3.79ea for the freezer. Fresh sliced smoked bacon from local farmers markets is still about $4.99lb.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    Only 5 packages? That's enough for Monday thru Friday, but what you gonna eat on Saturday and Sunday??? :silly:

• mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Only 5 packages? That's enough for Monday thru Friday, but what you gonna eat on Saturday and Sunday??? :silly:

The 3lbs of fresh (thick) sliced I bought at the farmers mart! :drool2:
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Sounds like it's time to find some feral hogs, go on a shooting spree, and get the old smokehouse behind the barn cleaned up and back in operation! Curing salt and hickory wood are both still relatively cheap!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member

Gingrich-Professor.jpg
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Jerry, don't forget injected sugar curing of a ham or three. Good eats fer breakfast!

Sugar curing is OK, I guess, but nothing beats salt and smoke. You don't even have to refrigerate the hams, sausages, and sides of bacon for storage- - - -just keep the varmints out of the smokehouse!
    Jerry
    More than a few of those varmints walk on their hind legs; the better to reach those smoked hams! :rotflmao:

Mike, the best method of dealing with those types of vermin is to rub one of the hams with Croton oil- - - -just be sure to remember which one got the treatment!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Mike, the best method of dealing with those types of vermin is to rub one of the hams with Croton oil- - - -just be sure to remember which one got the treatment!
    Jerry

Best not be a long way to the outhouse if ya got hold of one treated with that stuff! :silly:

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Hey, if anybody believes there's a swine shortage around this neck of the woods, they need to get real. As long as porky's in the wild I will have no Puerko Shortage. And I have mastered sausagery 101 and 201 and bacon and ham 101 and 201. I have cured not only Pork hams but deer hams as well. It's a piece of cake to cure bacon and hams. And wild pork makes good stuff too. Robert, if you ever make it to my neck of the woods, you will eat like a king Bro! So don't let the all inspiring liberal drive by media scare you. It's all BS!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Teach wrote: »
    Sugar curing is OK, I guess, but nothing beats salt and smoke. You don't even have to refrigerate the hams, sausages, and sides of bacon for storage- - - -just keep the varmints out of the smokehouse!
    Jerry
    You got that Teach, nothing like a good ol' country ham. If it's too salty, I just soak in milk overnight. But most of the time I just slice some off and fry it up.
    Its all a plot by the Obama administration to throw a bone to the Muslims by cutting down on the amount of "unclean" pork available to Americans.

Please note that this IS one of those posts needing a sarcasm font.

Hell, the Mussies should love us. We will take all the world's pork so that they don't have to look at it. The down side for them and another benefit for us is all Muslims would have to get the hell out of the USA!!!

:banned: :silly::roll2::rotflmao:
    I dont like RC cola. Or Moon Pies.

OMG! That's just disgusting! Tea without Sugar? and WHAT! No Moon Pies??? How do you sustain life???
    Seriously, curing bacon isn't missle science. Just soak the ham in a mixture of brine solution with some bay leaf, pepper corns, garlic and whatever other seaonings turn your crank and let it sit for a few days. Then hang it in a smoke house and throw the smoke to it. If it's cool outside 40s or colder, let it hang until it's dried a few weeks. If it's warm outside the way to get around it is to build a small smoke house like no bigger than 8'x8' and put a good sized window unit AC in it and turn it to max cold. This will usually lower the temp inside down to the low 50s or high 40s. After a while curing this way it won't spoil at about any temperature. Just slice off what you want to eat. I like to fry it to brown it. If it's too salty, soak it in some milk or butter milk over night and was off the milk and brown it in a frying pan. Hard to beat...
    I like to parboil the salty ones in about 1/2" of water in the bottom of a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, then pour the water off and brown the slices from there. it also tenderizes the meat a little. When preparing the fresh hams for salting/brining, make sure all the cuts are fresh, even if a thin slice of meat has to be sacrificed where the ham was separated from the main carcass. A neighbor near us where I grew up cured hams for a living, and he insisted on curing meat no more than one day after slaughter. He used big flat wooden boxes with a few inches of coarse salt in them, and sort of buried the meat in the salt for a few days. Then the hams got hung and smoked. He usually won the "Grand Champion" ribbon at the Tennessee state fair. His sons and grandsons run the business now, and they only sell meat from Thanksgiving to Christmas- - - - -selling what they have cured during the previous year. Good stuff!
    Jerry
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I dont like RC cola. Or Moon Pies.

Man I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loves that RC and or a Big Orange!!!!!!!!!!!! I love all the flavors of moon pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    OMG! That's just disgusting! Tea without Sugar? and WHAT! No Moon Pies??? How do you sustain life???

I would like to know that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you do it cpj????????????????????
    "It is what it is":usa: