Home Main Category General Firearms

.223 Handi Rifle accuracy

2»

Replies

  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Great shooting. Now........how are you going to get your truck bed up into your deer stand? :uhm:
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Win73Win73 Member Posts: 41 Member
    I have a Handi Rifle in .30-06. I shoot 150 grain Remington Corelokt in it. I can't tell you what size group it shoots. I verify before each season that it is hitting about the center of the target. But I have fired it nine times at deer and killed nine deer at ranges from 25 to 125 yards. None required more than one shot. Some dropped in their tracks, some ran but not very far.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
    (Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    Great shooting. Now........how are you going to get your truck bed up into your deer stand? :uhm:

    Here ya go! See there, nothings impossible iffin ya put your mind to it,

    truck-tree-bed.jpg

    Well this blind's a little close to those houses and it's a little low to the ground. So here's another one:

    Untitled-2.jpg

    This one should be perfect. You just need a good sturdy ladder.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT!!! What can I say but WOW!!!! That rifle is certainly a keeper and EXCELENT shooting!!! :worthy:

    I went to Walmart today and they were all sold out. :angry: It is what is, I still have enough from the first box for hunting. Rifle season doesn't start for another month and half anyway.

    Anyone have any ideas about how I can order some from the same lot?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I don't know but once a lot is gone it's gone. Maybe you could contact their customer service before it's all gone.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    The same lot number might make an incremental difference, but not enough to worry about unless you're shooting BR with factory ammo. You can contact the factory, give them the lot number to see if any more is still available and who has it. That's about all I can suggest.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    Good shooting! I'm guessing your HR is a 2007 or newer model, they have a 1:9" twist. The early HR's in .223 had 1:12" twist barrels. I bought one a few years ago on sale at Cabela's just for the 1:9" barrel, guess I need to find time to scope it and shoot it someday.
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    john.41 wrote: »
    Good shooting! I'm guessing your HR is a 2007 or newer model, they have a 1:9" twist. The early HR's in .223 had 1:12" twist barrels. I bought one a few years ago on sale at Cabela's just for the 1:9" barrel, guess I need to find time to scope it and shoot it someday.

    Mine is not a 2007or newer, I got it used six years ago. So 1:12" it is.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    farm boy wrote: »
    Mine is not a 2007or newer, I got it used six years ago. So 1:12" it is.

    I know that they say that anything over 55 grains needs a tighter twist than 1:12, but it does somewhat depend on the bullet too. Some bullets are shorter for their weight. They will probably stabilize in a 1:12 barrel better than a long bullet. Then again the difference in a 1:10 and 1:12 isn't all that great. Some rifles and loads just defy the rules. Whatever it is you have, it's working.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    farm boy wrote: »
    I went to Walmart today and they were all sold out. :angry: It is what is, I still have enough from the first box for hunting. Rifle season doesn't start for another month and half anyway.

    Anyone have any ideas about how I can order some from the same lot?

    Make sure to measure those bullets accurately and record them somewhere you won't lose it. My opinion is they are just the right length for your chamber, and if you ever handload that would be my COAL measurement.

    IMHO

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    Impressive shooting!
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    What is the accuracy potential of break action single shots compared to bolt actions? You would think if they were commonly as accurate as bolt actions, you would see them at bench rest competitions, so they must not be. That being said, I've got a Optima Elite in .223 I picked up in a trade that is one of the most accurate shooters I have with the right ammo (maybe the rest of my collection is just really bad). It hasn't shot a group as good as Farm Boys, but that could be partly the truck's fault:roll:
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Very Nice...I had a Handi Rifle in .223 before the Ex pawned it. It was one of the most accurate rifles that I owned. It too liked federal Ammo.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    Jim Tom wrote: »
    What is the accuracy potential of break action single shots compared to bolt actions? You would think if they were commonly as accurate as bolt actions, you would see them at bench rest competitions, so they must not be. That being said, I've got a Optima Elite in .223 I picked up in a trade that is one of the most accurate shooters I have with the right ammo (maybe the rest of my collection is just really bad). It hasn't shot a group as good as Farm Boys, but that could be partly the truck's fault:roll:


    GENERALLY speaking, no a break open single shot won't have as good as inherent accuracy as a bolt gun. Due to lock time, triggers that nobody wants to mess with being sensitive to where they are rested on the fore end. That is speaking GENERALLY. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am buying every box of that ammo I can find in a 50mi radius.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Here ya go! See there, nothings impossible iffin ya put your mind to it,

    Untitled-2.jpg

    This one should be perfect. You just need a good sturdy ladder.

    I pass by that 'stand' every day on my way to work, LOL! BTW, it's too close to the house as well, and also real close to I-43!:roll2:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement