Home Main Category Personal Defense

Belly Band?

tommythegreektommythegreek New MemberPosts: 15 New Member
I've been looking at CCW holsters and was wondering if you guys think a Belly Band would be the best bet for a Taurus model 85 5-shot revolver. Do any of you guys have experience with Belly Bands? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    They are hot and uncomfortable even up here in Minnesota. I can't imagine how they would feel in Georgia.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    A gentleman at one of our shooting matches tried to used one a couple of years ago. I think his quickest time to draw and get the first shot off was about 10 seconds. It just didn't seem to work very well.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    FWIW, they look like a good way for women to carry a BUG. (Back Up Gun) It would never be my first choice for primary CC.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,466 Senior Member
    With a shirt and tie I use this:
    http://www.workngear.com/cgi-bin/frontrunner.cgi?ri=111&rc=WKNG&rs=T&ro=T&pln=04&pid=TEES&pm=&sid=40011&whs=ALL&os=FROOGLE&ctc=1
    I leave the button undone parallel to the gun, which remains covered by my tie.
    This is extremely quick for me with Glock 26.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I have never worn a belly-band. But I would imagine in 100+ temps that they would be exceptionally hot and unfomfortable.

Ernie, I've seen those but never tried them. I take it they are comfortable. Is the gun fairly protected from armpit sweat?
    Comfortable and nothing shifts.
    The tank top versions have more of a tendency to move around.
    Yes on the sweat factor. The off side can be for mags.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I have never worn a belly-band. But I would imagine in 100+ temps that they would be exceptionally hot and unfomfortable.

Ernie, I've seen those but never tried them. I take it they are comfortable. Is the gun fairly protected from armpit sweat?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Comfortable and nothing shifts.
    The tank top versions have more of a tendency to move around.
    Yes on the sweat factor. The off side can be for mags.

I always wear an undershirt. That might be a future option for certain situations. Thanks.
  • tommythegreektommythegreek New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Ernie, what do you use when you aren't wearing a shirt and tie? I rarely have to wear a suit. I do casual clothing mostly.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I always wear an undershirt. That might be a future option for certain situations. Thanks.

I have one of the 5.11 undershirts as well. Works OK when you can't untuck. But it aint fast at ALL.

And the neoprene patches under the gun protect the gun very well, but cause some sweat and heat. FYI.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I'd much prefer the undershirt thing to a girdle. I don't like wearing high heels. They hurt my feet.
    I guess "fast" is a perspective thing depending on where your gun is located.
    With my 26 I use Galco Pro286 for rear pocket (shirt untucked and cargo pocket use.
    If the 26 was a tad smaller I would wear it in my rear pocket even with a tucked shirt.

My go everywhere rig is a Beretta Tomcat (32ACP) with the Desantis pocket holster.
    I even carry it with me when I ride road bike (bicycle)
    Mine has an awesome double and SA pull for the type of weapon it is and I shoot it well.
    I know the cons of this cartridge, but I would much rather have it with me than nothing, and at times it is the only thing appropriate to wear.
    I will wear it in any pocket, usually back though.
    I practice at very small targets from weird positions, to not be gruesome in describing my intent.
    Ernie, what do you use when you aren't wearing a shirt and tie? I rarely have to wear a suit. I do casual clothing mostly.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    It might be more comfortable than an IWB for some people......It would just be sooooooo hot in summer. But, if you are wearing basketball-typed shorts with a t-shirt it might be the best option on some occasions. Would not want to do that too often or for too long.

Mike-the new guy
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    That Sleeve Holster Crew Shirt might work in cool weather; but, IMO it would be too hot for southern summers.
    The girl base game warden used a shirt like that and it seemed to work for her, except in summer she was often sans cover shirt because of the heat.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    My most comfortable carry is a Crossbreed type IWB at 3:00 o'clock. I wear a wife-beater undershirt and a loose fitting shirt untucked. I can conceal an XD45 Compact quite well with a darkish colored, patterned shirt. However, I have been favoring the Kahr K-40, lately, because it is lighter, smaller and I shoot it pretty well. I can carry comfortably in this rig with the temp in the 90's, although I will admit that this 110 degree heat wave has got me pocket carrying a .380 again. I'll feel much better when I can get back to the IWB.
    In terms of heat, living in NE Wyoming has its privileges:up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    In terms of heat, living in NE Wyoming has its privileges:up:
    That is what I thought when we were at Whidbey Is, Wa
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    I like the crossbreed super tuck. The j clip v clip thing has got me baffled though lol. I hate being so new to all this. I really am enjoying all of your opinions though. Keep them coming!

The j clip v clip thing has got me baffled though lol.

If you order a Crossbreed, you can buy an extra set of clips in the other type for about $5.00, with your holster order, and change them out to suit yourself. I did this with my first one, and found that the j-clips did not benefit me much. I make my own holsters of similar design, now (thanks to cpj, who helped introduce me to forming kydex) and I strictly use the v-clips. Crossbreed also sells a very good double layer belt. A good belt is a major aid in carrying IWB. I adjust the cant of the Crossbreed style holster with a fairly radical forward tilt because the nearer the grip is to the vertical position, the less it prints through your cover garment, especially when carrying larger guns, which I prefer.
    I hate being so new to all this. I really am enjoying all of your opinions though. Keep them coming!

Stick around and learn.

You will find that there are some genuine masters that hang around here in anything from long distance rifle shooting, hand loading, military surplus, gunsmithing, and self defense type shooting, among other things. Most of the time, honest questions will be dealt with politely and thoroughly by these guys, and there are also quite a few yokels like myself who will help out with the 'softball' questions that pop up repetitively.

Be warned, though, that if you spend an excessive amount of time extolling the virtues of Taurus, you will need a thick skin, because there are a lot of folks that have had experiences with the quality control issues that company has had through the years. That is not to say that they have not produced some decent, low priced guns that work OK, but a lot of folks here feel like they have been burned, and don't hesitate to state their opinions.
    Wow a Taurus firearm is that bad? I thought that a revolver would be almost fail safe and the fact that Taurus has a lifetime warranty would make them a tad more popular. That just shows you how little I know and just how new I am:tooth:. Looks like I'll have to do better with my next purchase...after I beg for forgiveness from the wife for ordering the Crossbreed Super Tuck:drool2:. I guess my next gun will have to be from Kel Tec, SCCY, or Ruger.
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 53 Member
    You're going to see a lot of Taurus hate around here. While I will say that Taurus has earned a pretty bad reputation, I've had a 605 revolver (SS 5 shot .357 mag) for 12 or more years and never once had a problem. I will say with pretty fair confidence that my Taurus revolver has shot more animals than most people's hunting rifles and saved my hide at least one time for sure. However I, like you, learned just after I got it that there were better options. What I'm saying is don't feel bad about having it if it doesn't give you problems. If it's a good and reliable gun, then be happy with it.

The bellyband: I wore a bellyband every day for years way back when there weren't better options. I wore a Kangaroo bellyband with (get this) a Glock 23. You learn to adapt. I kept the button undone as was mentioned above. I live in Texas where the temp is above 100 for months at a time. The Kangaroo wasn't bad, I wore it over an undershirt. However, retention isn't great (don't bend over too far) and some people permanently sew the velcro on the elastic shoulder strap. I also have a 5.11 tactical undershirt and that thing is HOT. I usually only wear it when it is cooler because of the neoprene padding. Both options retain the firearm pretty well with minimal bouncing.

With options like the supertuck out there, you may want to broaden your horizons and think outside the belly-band box. Super-tucks and the like were not around way back when I went the belly-band route. The tuckable options were pretty bad and I gave up on that route. Now, I'm really thinking of trying Cross Breed.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    One of the issues that recurred with Taurus revolvers was a loosening of the ejector rod - causing some issues with opening the cylinder and if allowed to go unchecked binding up the gun. Solution for a gun with this problem - a little blue Loctite on the offending threads and remembering that the rod is REVERSE THREADED (needs to be tightened in the opposite direction of most screw threads).

This could, of course, happen with nearly any revolver, but the rate it happens to Taurus makes me, for one, a little cautious about recommending them.

And a lifetime warranty isn't always an indicator of quality - Bryco, Jennings, and some other pretty cheaply-made guns carry a "lifetime warranty" which if you shoot the gun at all you'll probably have to use. Ruger implies a lifetime warranty (they don't print any warranty policy per se, but send them any Ruger firearm and they will do their best to make it right, to the point of repairing/replacing guns wrecked by circumstances that would void any other maker's warranty. Taurus falls somewhere between these two IMO.
    45er wrote: »
    You're going to see a lot of Taurus hate around here. While I will say that Taurus has earned a pretty bad reputation, I've had a 605 revolver (SS 5 shot .357 mag) for 12 or more years and never once had a problem. I will say with pretty fair confidence that my Taurus revolver has shot more animals than most people's hunting rifles and saved my hide at least one time for sure. However I, like you, learned just after I got it that there were better options. What I'm saying is don't feel bad about having it if it doesn't give you problems. If it's a good and reliable gun, then be happy with it.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've owned 2 Taurus' and shot several others owned by friends (all revolvers.. none of their semi-autos), and never had ANY issues with them whatsoever. I had one of Taurus' .357's (blued, 4") and shot the HECK out of that and the Taurus tracker .44 mag (SS, 4") also. Literally thousands of rounds through each with no problems at all and no discernible difference in accuracy between them and any S&W or Ruger I've shot. They were every bit as functional but fit and finish was no match for any of the other more well respected manufacturer's like Ruger or S&W. However there are a lot of people here who have had or seen serious issues with Taurus guns (though it's my impression that it's more often an issue with their semi-autos). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of their revolvers as long as I got to shoot it first just to make sure it's not got any obvious issues, and the price was right. If there's not a big difference in price, go with S&W or Ruger though. If it's a semi-auto you're looking at, there are far too many other better products in the same price range, or very close to it, (Glock particularly) with MUCH better track records.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Taurus has a 24/7 model................that's because they keep their repair facility going 24/7 to keep up with the volume of returns:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've owned 2 Taurus' and shot several others owned by friends (all revolvers.. none of their semi-autos), and never had ANY issues with them whatsoever. I had one of Taurus' .357's (blued, 4") and shot the HECK out of that and the Taurus tracker .44 mag (SS, 4") also. Literally thousands of rounds through each with no problems at all and no discernible difference in accuracy between them and any S&W or Ruger I've shot. They were every bit as functional but fit and finish was no match for any of the other more well respected manufacturer's like Ruger or S&W. However there are a lot of people here who have had or seen serious issues with Taurus guns (though it's my impression that it's more often an issue with their semi-autos). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of their revolvers as long as I got to shoot it first just to make sure it's not got any obvious issues, and the price was right. If there's not a big difference in price, go with S&W or Ruger though. If it's a semi-auto you're looking at, there are far too many other better products in the same price range, or very close to it, (Glock particularly) with MUCH better track records.

Luis

I have had every possible kind of failure on Taurus revolvers, and I have owned a whole pile of them. Get a Charter, a user Ruger or Smith if you want an inexpensive gun
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I am probably going to buy a semi-auto for my next gun. I like how the PX4 storm feels in my hand (I was thinking compact...not subcompact). I feel that I could also carry the gun comfortably as well as use it for home defense. There are so many great guns out there that it is really hard to make my decision though. Springfield Armory is nice, so is Glock, Sig Sauer is also great. I can't stand the fact that I can't own them all....at once!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I am probably going to buy a semi-auto for my next gun. I like how the PX4 storm feels in my hand (I was thinking compact...not subcompact).

I've owned a PX4 in .40S&W, and it's a good shooter, but be forewarned (since as you say, you're new to the game): it has a slide-mounted safety. When I was new, I didn't know how much this would matter to me, but now that I've had several different kinds of semi-auto (slide-mounted safety, frame-mounted, glock-style, XD-style), I can say for sure that if it has a safety, I want it frame-mounted. It has proven (for me) to be easier to actuate with my thumb, and less-likely to be accidentally disengaged through daily carry.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    A friend of mine recently got a Charter Arms bulldog (.44 spl), and all I can say is that I was NOT impressed. I've never owned a Taurus that was as shoddily produced as that Charter Arms, so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending Charter Arms. S&W or Ruger are definitely the top picks as far as I'm concerned.

Luis
  • CoreyWCoreyW New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    I have used them when I was younger and they seemed to work pretty well. carried a Browning BDA .380 and 2 spare mags pretty well. Now that I am slowly getting back down to fighting weight I have been thinking about getting mine out again and giving them another try. I was in Southern Oregon and we were in the high 90's to low 100's for several weeks during the summer, it was hot but not to unbearable. I wore it low so wasn't any warmer than wearing a tank top under a t-shirt.