Home Main Category Personal Defense

45 apc self defense loads?

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,958 Senior Member
My carry gun is a m1911 Ive been using 185jhp, what loads are you guys using and why? jay
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    If your weapon likes eating it reliably, it goes bang reliably enough to bet your life on (major mfger) and it goes where you point your weapon than it works. Some like the big slow 230gr some like the faster light bullets ... I like my 230gr Gold Dots.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I'm running Hydra Shok simply because I was given a ton of them. If I didn't have them, I'd probably run Gold Dot.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Federal HST 230 gr.
    Functions reliably in my gun and is accurate. Bullet holds together and expands to an impressive size, in short order.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    If APC then 25MM depleted uranium with a mix of HE. IF ACP 230gr Hydra Shok.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    There are so many excellent SD rounds out there for the 1911 .45, I'd say any major brand that feeds reliably will be fine. In the long run, getting hit with a JHP .45 is not your best day. So I'd say try several brands and pick whichever you like, that feeds fine.

Also agree that some like the heavier, slower rounds, some prefer the lighter, hotter ammo. All of the good quality SD ammo has approximately the same stopping power.

Myself, I carry the CorBon "PowrBall" for these reasons: 1- it's among the better rated loads (and yes there are plenty of other good loads), 2- it has a rounded nose that helps the ammo feed, especially if you've got a steep feed ramp. The nose is hollow plastic and might also improve aerodynamics a teeny bit, not enough to make a diff. But the round tip feeds nicer. 3- the round is physically lighter than standard JHP ammo, and you can really tell the difference with a full magazine.

So give the PowrBall a try, just a suggestion. Frankly, you'd be okay with any major brand SD ammo, thankfully we've got plenty of options here.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/45-acp-hollow-point-ammo
    Go here, and see what load from Federal, Remington, Winchester, Speer, corbon or Hornady "makes the little tractor go Vroom" Any of the name brands should work just fine. I've done quite a bit of ammo testing in other chamberings, and in most cases, the performance differences between brands has been quite minimal.

Personally, my 1911 is loaded with a mix of 230 Win Ranger T and Rem 230 Golden Sabre.

I chose the Ranger Ts due to their performance in my PM40, and the Golden Sabres just because I haven't tried them before.
    When I get ready to replace them, it will probably be with the Speer 200gr +P Gold dot
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    1974 I bought my first handgun, a Colt Combat Commander. Being young and clueless I asked The Old Codger behind the counter what a good defense load for it would be.
    He wrinkled his nose and said "Son , you're shooting a .45, anything you get will do just fine" and handed me a box of GI Ball.
    If shooting the latest Atomic Powerball Black Ops Magic Gold Talon CIA Approved Wonder ammo makes you happy go for it but at todays prices for premium ammo I'll stick with the plain jane stuff.It's not like you're trying to get the most oomph out of a 32 auto.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    FMJ will certainly do the job nicely......the only concern I would have would be on a pass-through.....a good HP that feeds reliably(100%) would be my ticket.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    If shooting the latest Atomic Powerball Black Ops Magic Gold Talon CIA Approved Wonder ammo makes you happy go for it........
    Nah, I'll settle for a good hollow point. Don't need the nuclear stuff yet.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    230 grain Hornady TAPs...practice with 230 grain hard ball....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    I've been fooling around with critical defence .45 acp. Not sure yet, but, I think they expand too fast and penetration may be affected. Yesterday I shot a 75 oz plastic soap bottle full of water with one and got an expected hole in the front side and the rear side was just busted with no obvious bullet hole that looked like a bullet went through, as other HP SD ammo does.

I then shot another identical bottle with a copper HP, actually a Taurus .45 acp rnd, and got the front hole and a definite large expanded bullet hole out the rear.

Too hot after the picnic I had to go to today, but, I am planning a paper bundle shoot soon as long as I can get it done this week before we leave for Wis.

But, to answer the question, Hornady 230 gr TAP + P
    in a revolver.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I use Remington Green Box 230 gr. HP and Winchester USA white box 230 gr. HP. Both feed without a hitch, and both expand and penetrate well in wet newsprint. Never had a failure to fire with either one. Sellier and Bellot 230 gr. HP is one I've shot a bit, but haven't put any into wet newsprint. Good reliable ammunition.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I practice mostly with PMC or CCI Blazer Brass 230gr hardball. I keep the 'go' mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. They cycle with absolute reliability, and the recoil is completely a non-factor.
    *Edited to add: I'm using a Kimber 1911, and the Hornadys are 185 gr.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    If your weapon likes eating it reliably, it goes bang reliably enough to bet your life on (major mfger) and it goes where you point your weapon than it works. Some like the big slow 230gr some like the faster light bullets ... I like my 230gr Gold Dots.

2nd this. I prefer 230 gr JHP by any major manufacturer's premium ammo. I'm not that picky (ie. Speer, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, etc.)

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    The Hornady Critical Defence pretty much goes where aimed. Today I got about the same penetration into a bundle of magazines as any other good SD HP, plastic insert or no insert. The jacket and core separated and jacket expansion was 1 & 1/8 inch and the plastic insert was with the bullet, just like that Guns and Ammo video that Scott put up on the forum.
    Wasn't happy with the results, so I got a half circle kitchen rug and cut it to the height of a gal cooking oil bottle, wrapped it around the jug full of water, and taped it in place as a simulated barrier or coat. Shot it, the hole in the jug was what one would expect if there had been no barrier. The rug was cut in half with a big hole on the back side, meaning pass bullet pass through not hammer like bust through as I experienced with the soap bottle.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Whatever good 230gr JHP I happen to buy......HST...........SXT..Gold Dor.........whatever is handy....as long as it feeds 100% of the time..........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    When I do carry any of my 1911s , it's got a chamber and mag full of Glaser Safety slugs. Heard ER docs describe a wound channel from a .45 Glaser as looking like a " contact wound from a .410 shotgun". Spare mag usually has original Remington 185gr SJHP+P or Cor-Bon 200gr JHC+P.

BTW , my CZ-75B in .40 S&W , which replaced my .45 Colt Combat Commander as my bedside gun , is also loaded with Glasers. As are all my frequently carried guns.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I still have two boxes of Winchester Black Talons, left over from LEO work. They are designated for serious social work.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I still have two boxes of Winchester Black Talons, left over from LEO work. They are designated for serious social work.......Robin

They were designed to look very nasty in press photos when fired into ballistics gel. Something that kinda backfired and brought about a bunch of bad press and stupid laws. The Black Talons successor , the Winchester Ranger is the same bullet without the little pointy things and black coating , and is just as effective.
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »

ditto
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »

They are a good bullet but SXTs are the Same EXact Thing.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I've decided to keep the Hornady TAP in the 625
    they were free anyway.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Picked up a couple box's of Hornady 185 tsx. I'll take them to the range next week and let you know how they shoot. jay
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    230 grain standard velocity. Not at all particular about which one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    :rotflmao:
    If APC then 25MM depleted uranium with a mix of HE. IF ACP 230gr Hydra Shok.
    :applause:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    How did we ever get along with the plain old vanilla flavored .45 GI ball ammo?
    People must have been like, really weak an stuff back then since it had a reputation of being teh awesome manstopper back then but now is just barely acceptable.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    People must have been like, really weak an stuff back then since it had a reputation of being teh awesome manstopper back then but now is just barely acceptable.

230 FMJ/Hardball is still a good defense round, especially compared to any other FMJ like the 9 Sillymeter.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member

One of the biggest reason for GI Ball ammo is the Hague 1899 - Declaration III. If not for that it would likely be GI HP ammo.

The biggest reason I carry the HD/SD HPs is the lesser chance of through and thought along with the fact they penerate walls and such which could be bad news for non-threats on the other side.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    This man speaketh truth.

Even Col. Cooper felt that a good HP gave better performance than ball ammo.

Edited to add: there's also been advances in the 1911 over its GI form. Chief among those are sights you can actually see, followed by an enlarged ejection port that makes clearing a dud round easier. Then there's the beavertail grip safety for those whose hands need it...
    Overkill is underrated.