Home Main Category Hunting

What should I get?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
Mile high shooter and Jerry Bob Co, I have about decided to go ahead and buy me a Remington SPS for this upcoming hunt. There's one version with a 26 inch barrel in 300 Win. Mag. I had also been kicking around the idea of a 338 Win Mag. For this elk hunt, which should it be? I realize this has been kicked around on here till all the air is almost out of the ball, but I'm starting to get serious. I was thinking of barreling my Zastava Charles Daly in one of those calibers, but by the time I had the bolt face opened up and all the mods done to the action I could probably buy me an SPS or a Stevens 200. So what's your opinions? This is for anybody, not only Jerry Bob and MHS. So let's here it. It's been a while since we had a good ol' knock down drag out discussion.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I thought you weren't too fond of recoil. Why would you consider either of those cartridges in the SPS platform and especially the .338 Win Mag?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Of those two, I'd probably go with the .300 Win Mag. You'll be carrying it a whole lot more than you'll be shooting it, so take that into consideration. I think one could get by with a lighter rifle in the 300 than in 338.

I personally don't want to wag a rifle around that has a 26 inch barrel. For sitting in one place all day long it's ok, but I want something more compact if hunting in the mountains where I may be doing a lot of walking. You may also find yourself in black timber where a long barrel is a hinderance.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    THAT out of YOUR MOUTH!!! The guy who provided me with a 7.25 lb .338 WinMag???
    Hey, I'm not talking about you and I. He had mentioned in the past that heavy recoil wasn't fun for him and my understanding was that he chose not to have guns like that. Just curious because that .338 probably won't be fun for him to shoot. Even though I LOVE the cartridge and think it would make a stellar elk rifle. Just doesn't make since to me that he would consider it. But hey, it's a great round.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    THAT out of YOUR MOUTH!!! The guy who provided me with a 7.25 lb .338 WinMag???

I believe that he is asking Snake for Snake's sake. Snake is a sensitive guy as opposed to us lunkheads.

Me? I would go with a .338 Win Mag just because I am a big fan of the cartridge, I don't see how it is going to make the rifle weigh much more than a .300, and I would be hunting elk maybe once or twice in my entire lifetime so I want that little extra bit of edge, and I don't think .338 Win Mag recoil is all that bad. It makes me feel alive, but it really doesn't hurt until I shoot 40-50 rounds off the bench, then it will wear me down.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I too would pick the .338 WM without a doubt. But you're right, I was questioning it for Snake's sake.
  • Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas Member Posts: 56 Member
    I'd go 338 win mag, but then agian I have one and love it.
    I would get it ported right off the bat. helps out and get a limb saver pad for it. a 26 inch barrel , I would not lot of length for a lot of hills to climb.
    I'd look at a barrel a bit shorter.
    . For bench shooting and training I would alos use a limb saver sholder pad , that helps out a lot and makes the shoot enjoyable.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    Unless you are going to make a habit of going for elk, moose, and big bears and maybe pulling someone else's fat out of the fire, I would choose the .300 or even stay with a 30'06. The .338 is a great cartridge as is the .300. I have both (well, the .338wm's big bro) and like both a lot but they are honestly difficult to learn to shoot proficiently. You will have to devote a lot of time at the range ( not a bad thing ). The first few times will involve taking a whooping especially in hot South Texas. The one thing going for you is at 10,000 feet in OCT you will probably be wearing a lot of insulated clothes that will absorb recoil.
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    If it were me, I'd go down to the LGS and pick up one of them new Winchesters chambered for the .300 Win Mag.. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with taking your .280 Rem or .280AI and use that money that you were going to spend on a new rifle for a gym membership and get in shape. I mean no offense Mike, just saying.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    Yeah, what happened to your .35 Whelen idea? That would be an excellent round for you.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Yeah, what happened to your .35 Whelen idea? That would be an excellent round for you.

And excellent for elk....both in the open glades and dark timber.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    You know he was laughing his bark off when he sent you that light .338. For his next trick, I heard that he is going to sucker, er... I mean... convince you of the merits of a TC Encore in .416 Rigby.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Snake, does not need a 338 Win mag man. You don't need that recoil :):)
    bullet wrote: »
    Snake, does not need a 338 Win mag man. You don't need that recoil :):)

This coming from someone who on the last forum had 13 posts all saying the .340 Weatherby was better than a Korean Wax Job. :uhm:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,411 Senior Member
    The .300 Win Mag is nothing more than a .30-06 with a small turbocharger under the hood. If you're going to deal with the added expense of a magnum, it should at least be a real one. Go .338

You might also consider the XCR II so long as you're looking at 700's. It's basically the SPS with the addition of extra coatings to keep the world from rotting it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

That is where I would start looking!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    That is where I would start looking!
    OK and Yes BP, I hate recoil, that is excessive recoil. I can stand a .270-30-06 and not flinch. But I have shot a few cannons and I really don't like the idea of sitting on a bench trying to work up a load getting stomped. Also I guess I do this every once in a while to bring myself back to reality. You are right about the 35 Whelen and I still have it on my list. You all are talking me back into it.

Lately I have been discussing the merits of the 300 Win Mag and a couple of people had me wanting to try it. And the 338 is something that I have toyed with, until I think about the recoil. But for this hunt, I need to get practical and get the 35 Whelen in the mill and get on with the show. And like i said, I have kicked this around till almost all the air is out of the ball, but y'all keep bringing me back to zero, which is good. OK I promise I won't bring this subject up again and I will do the Whelen (At least that's what I'm saying this week.)
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    ericb wrote: »
    This coming from someone who on the last forum had 13 posts all saying the .340 Weatherby was better than a Korean Wax Job. :uhm:

I ain't Snake :):) I was thinking of him what he is use to handling, I love the 338Win mag and the 340Wby is better than a Korean Wax Job :punch: Yeah this place is feeling like home again :beer:
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    Neither. Use yer' -06, it'll do just fine.

BUT, if you are really going to step out of your comfort zone, since you are considering a magnum and all, REALLY step out and go get you a 300wsm. They make em in SPS trim too
    Neither. Use yer' -06, it'll do just fine.

BUT, if you are really going to step out of your comfort zone, since you are considering a magnum and all, REALLY step out and go get you a 300wsm. They make em in SPS trim too

Try and keep up, Junior.:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    But for this hunt, I need to get practical and get the 35 Whelen in the mill and get on with the show.

Good man. :agree:
    358Win is cooler, more accurate, great cartridge :yesno::cool:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,523 Senior Member
    My elk rifle is a .338, but I saw my BIL drop a nice 5X5 in it's tacks with a .300 mag with 190 grain factory silvertips, and some nice deer, too. Use whatever you are comfortable to shoot and as long as you shoot it well.
    358Win is cooler, more accurate, great cartridge :yesno::cool:

I wish Ruger would chamber their 77 International in .358 Win. That would be a winner.
    ericb wrote: »
    I wish Ruger would chamber their 77 International in .358 Win. That would be a winner.

Under statement, that would be sweet. I just wished they would chamber it again in something, I love the 358Win !!!!
    Under statement, that would be sweet. I just wished they would chamber it again in something, I love the 358Win !!!!

Gallery of guns shows 28 Hawkeyes available. I guess they were a special run for someone.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=7128&mfg=All&mdl=All&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=358&fin=&sit=&zipcode=59601
    Sale ends today, man, I wish I had some extra money right now, I would snatch one of those for sure. I can't tell you how cool my 358Win is in the field. It does not shake an animal like my 300Win Mag does when it hits them, but with my 358Win they just collapse and fold up like an accordion. Fun to load for and shoot and easy to carry in the field.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    Since the cartridge came up, put me in the .35 Whelen column for you.
    The practical thing would be to rebarrel that Daly action in .35 Whelen and go hunting. I'd even share some killer load recipes.
    Who needs killer load recipes?
    First group out of this with the ammo sitting right on it:
    35Whelenjpg-1.jpg

Was THIS!!! (Ignore the .223 hole nest to the group)
    2011-05-27120342.jpg

Who needs to reload!!!

looks like the first group from my Ruger .300 WM....green box 180s
    Nice shooting rifle indeed, and very good looking!