Home Main Category Personal Defense

Would/do you carry handcuffs?????

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,158 Senior Member
I wouldn't. I am not a LEO nor do I play one on TV...... There are many reason LEO's go thru training on how to cuff a BG..

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Citizen-takes-down-gunman-after-shooting-in-Skyway-1751843.php
A man not involved in the dispute who was using the ATM at the bank pulled out his own gun and pointed it at the shooter, Urquhart said.

Urquhart said the man is licensed to carry the weapon and also had handcuffs with him, although he is not a member of law enforcement.

By the time police arrived, the good samaritan already had the suspected shooter cuffed and disarmed.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I ain't taking no prisoners. Either I'm running away or he's running away. Anything else is a disaster that I will try my best to survive.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,466 Senior Member
    No
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Now that I am no longer a LEO, I would not carry cuffs, but there is no compelling reason not to have a short length of clothes line or zip ties which are useful for many other things.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Yes! They're on my belt right next to this:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ADRidgeADRidge Member Posts: 173 Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »

I was wondering when someone would go there!
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member

Belt? Mines pinned right to my chest......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I wouldn't. I am not a LEO nor do I play one on TV...... There are many reason LEO's go thru training on how to cuff a BG..

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Citizen-takes-down-gunman-after-shooting-in-Skyway-1751843.php

The moment you take away someone's freedom with handcuffs you are arresting them. While there are circumstances that may warrant a citizens arrest, they're pretty much relegated to serious felonies so you'd better be very sure of what you're doing. Good advice.... if you haven't been sworn (as in Detention or LEO) at least in the past or undergone some education regarding what is legal, it's *probably* not a good idea.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, the vast majority of LEO/Detention don't carry handcuffs off duty. Just IMHO it would look very suspicious in court for the average citizen to be carrying them, and would seriously bring into question your motives.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    And I carry bear spray:

1010_3_bear_maced_teacher.jpg
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Hmmm ... kinda like the J'ville Riverwalk fight ... I ain't no hero but I might be a witness. As to handcuffs I really believe if most here ever had a situation to stop a threat handcuffs wouldn't be needed.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    Hey, I have one of those, but, it is silver looking.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I am not an police officer, so no.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Only the fuzzy ones.............Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    Just a thought: if you use handcuffs, you have to get close enough to someone to touch them. Most of us aren't trained in the proper restraint techniques to handcuff someone who's been threatening you, and trying to cuff someone would probably just turn into another brawl. Also, from what I've seen handcuffing someone with a gun in one hand is a learned skill, and it can open the handgun up to being taken away.

So, you'd need someone else to do the cuffing. The person most often with me is my wife. I'm not going to put her in that danger, weapon held on the perp or not. She's not experienced with firearms, so I doubt either of us would be comfortable with me cuffing the bad guy and her holding the handgun on the miscreant. Likewise, I won't cuff a perp while a random stranger (and a few LEO's I know) train the gun on the person.

In summation, I think back to a Home Defense edition G&A once did. The author advised readers to prone out the suspect, have him or her hold their hands behind their head with fingers interlaced, and cross one ankle over the other. For most folks, that's probably the only practical way to restrain someone.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    For most folks, that's probably the only practical way to restrain someone.

You can use a large wire tie...whip it around their neck and cinch it real tight...they immediately cease being a threat and flop around a lot.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Back when I was in HS , I had a set in my van. :drool2:

Actually , I had a set of Peerless long chain , heavy duty leg cuffs I used to lock my bike up with.

But ya just might be surprised just how many people , on both sides of the law , carry handcuff keys!
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You can use a large wire tie...whip it around their neck and cinch it real tight...they immediately cease being a threat and flop around a lot.
    Yeah, but they tend to flail around and might damage stuff, then you could be held liable...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Only the fuzzy ones.............Ken

:yikes: That is a completely different topic.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Not no...but....HELL NO. One thing that was stressed by the instructor in my HCP class, was that if you had to pull your gun, in defense of yourself or others, you DO NOT approach the BG......dead or alive.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • tommythegreektommythegreek New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    but there is no compelling reason not to have a short length of clothes line or zip ties which are useful for many other things.

The wife doesn't let me use the zip-ties anymore. She says that they leave marks :yikes:. The answer to the question of cuffs...no, I would not. I'm not in the arresting people business. I leave that for the real heroes (LEO's). It's either fight or flight if my family or I are in danger.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I don't. But a girl I used to date did.:yikes:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • SicSemperSicSemper New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    I'd don't have a CCP but having a pair of hand-cuffs seems like a pretty common sense idea. After all trouble comes in all shapes and forms out in pubic; and if trouble comes calling your way the only "enforcement" is what is at you hip/ YOU.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    SicSemper wrote: »
    I'd don't have a CCP but having a pair of hand-cuffs seems like a pretty common sense idea. After all trouble comes in all shapes and forms out in pubic; and if trouble comes calling your way the only "enforcement" is what is at you hip/ YOU.

If trouble comes your way, it isn't "enforcement" you want. The ability to flee or to protect yourself is. It is not your job to "enforce" anything with a CCP.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    I is a metaphor; a squad car isn’t likely to be there just around the corer.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    And a cop is too heavy to carry:wink:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    When I worked security, I carried cuffs only when in uniform, when an acting supervisor, or otherwise on the clock. When I was on my own time, they stayed in my gear bag.

A few times we heard of individuals who were reported to be impersonating police officers, driving Chevy Caprices or Crown Vics in white or dark blue, flashing lights or a badge and attempting traffic stops. Impersonating an officer is BAD JU-JU - someone who gets duped will likely have you spinning in inept, impotent circles in court, and someone with a little street smarts to tell the difference between a mail-order chrome-plated badge and the real deal may use the phone and call the real authorities, and have your hide on the street. Or consider you a deadly, obvious threat (I know I would!) and respond in kind.

Even some of our newly hired or "observe and report" unarmed officers had little clue in the correct application of handcuffs, and were mostly required to have their own pair so that responding, experienced officers would have extras on-site if needed. We offered frequent training classes (and lord, you should have seen some of the comedies of errors that resulted there!)

The true advantage of a concealed weapon is stand off ability, or to keep the distance between you and a potential threat. Attempting to handcuff anyone if you're not a sworn officer of the law puts you WAY TOO CLOSE in my book, and could easily turn the tables on you for unlawful imprisonment/attempted kidnapping in even a "justified" situation. As a citizen, your duty and responsibility is to ensure your own safety first and foremost, and to the degree you feel comfortable act to protect innocent life/welfare second - hold at gunpoint (see note about stand-off ability) only if you can assure your own safety and make sure you communicate the situation to responding officers. Otherwise, observe as closely as you can to report descriptions and details to responding officers.

Handcuffing by Joe Citizen is a sure recipe for tragedy.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member

Handcuffing by Joe Citizen is a sure recipe for tragedy.
    :win:

My thoughts exactly. As a paramedic, I've had to physically restrain people to prevent them from injuring themselves or others in the past. NOT my idea of fun and there's ABSOLUTELY no way I'd be trying to restrain someone as a armed CC "civilian" :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    At one point I worked for a private ambulance co. that specialized in transporting "patients" from one mental care facility to another, and the first thing I would do is convince the patient's Psychiatrist to medicate the patient.
    Since many of these patients had a long history of violent behavior including murder, this seemed a sensible precaution.

My other ploy was to make a "tamale" out of the patient with sheets and extra stretcher straps, so the patient could not get loose if they woke up early, I never used cuffs in E.M.S. just "soft restraints" sheets blankets and extra straps.

If cuffs were needed, there was usually a LEO along for the ride, and sometimes the cuffs impaired patient care.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Well now I know; thanks.
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    When at work with Jeeper we carry them.....but I would never want to try to HC someone in a self defense situation off duty. Too much can go wrong...real quick like.

Mike