Home Main Category Personal Defense

Carry no round in the chamber, like army.

2»

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Citizens believing they are 'exercising' their rights. That is useless exercise in my book, and a useless right! To carry a rifle unloaded in plain sight, say what?

Ok, so I take it you haven't been to a gunshow where citizens can walk around with a slung rifle and a For Sale sign on it? You've never carried a rifle into a gunsmith's shop?

To comment on your take about citizens and exercising useless rights is akin to asking a 1 yr old child to stop playing with their own poo. The rifle is a tool, no more than is a hammer.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 336 Member
    I'm new to this forum but certainly not new to shooting. The Isreali Army policy is to carry without one in the chamber. I know I wouldnt want to mess with them. If you dont want to carry one in the pipe, cool. If you do, sweet. As for all these "What if's, what if's what if's?" If an criminal comes with in seven yards of you with a knive, gun, bat, water pistol, etc, he already knows he's going to hurt you. True that someone that isnt plus +1ing can't respond "as" fast, but within 7-10 yards, he's going to do whatever he wants to do to you initially. It dosent matter unless you already have your gun already drawn. A knife would probably be the best choice, not to mention some pretty good knife fighting skills wouldnt hurt.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    1hogfan83
    Welcome aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 336 Member
    Always fun to join a new forum.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Anyone else that wants to can carry without one in the chamber. Since I am not a Mossad agent, I am going to continue to carry locked and loaded.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    I am going to continue to carry locked and loaded.

As long as ya don't go claiming "because that's the way JMB designed it!" nonsense! :roll:
    mkk41 wrote: »
    As long as ya don't go claiming "because that's the way JMB designed it!" nonsense! :roll:

Nope, 'cause I am slow, I need every advantage I can get.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member

And if he did, what difference would that make to you ??? what makes you the Pontiff of what is and is not "nonsense" ???? in the long run, lots of people spout stuff whilst munching pizza and drinking cactus cola that has nothing to do with real world personal defense.

The bottom line is this: If you are not comfortable carrying a 1911 C&L, carry a suitable revolver.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    And if he did, what difference would that make to you ??? what makes you the Pontiff of what is and is not "nonsense" ???? in the long run, lots of people spout stuff whilst munching pizza and drinking cactus cola that has nothing to do with real world personal defense.

The bottom line is this: If you are not comfortable carrying a 1911 C&L, carry a suitable revolver.

Or else , what? :blah:

If ya ever bothered to read any of the books on the trials , you would know that the thumb safety was added by Colt engineers at the insistance or Cavalry officers. The 1910 submitted by JMB had no thumb safety. Nor did the 1907 , or the 1905.

1910colt.jpg

I'll keep my 1911-style pistols with a hammer down on a live round.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 wrote: »
    I'm new to this forum but certainly not new to shooting. The Isreali Army policy is to carry without one in the chamber. I know I wouldnt want to mess with them. If you dont want to carry one in the pipe, cool. If you do, sweet. As for all these "What if's, what if's what if's?" If an criminal comes with in seven yards of you with a knive, gun, bat, water pistol, etc, he already knows he's going to hurt you. True that someone that isnt plus +1ing can't respond "as" fast, but within 7-10 yards, he's going to do whatever he wants to do to you initially. It dosent matter unless you already have your gun already drawn. A knife would probably be the best choice, not to mention some pretty good knife fighting skills wouldnt hurt.

The Israeli method has nothing to do with a single gun design, and more to do with the fact that for a long time, they had no standard sidearm. With some single actions, double actions, double action only pistols, the only consistent way to train on all platforms was to draw, rack, shoot.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Or else , what? :blah:

If ya ever bothered to read any of the books on the trials , you would know that the thumb safety was added by Colt engineers at the insistance or Cavalry officers. The 1910 submitted by JMB had no thumb safety. Nor did the 1907 , or the 1905.

1910colt.jpg

I'll keep my 1911-style pistols with a hammer down on a live round.

I never said or else, go pound sand.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Chill guys!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Chill guys!

Awww , we been hissin' & fussin' for years. No big deal.
    Aiight then, car has passed....."game ooonnn!" :tooth:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I don't see how anyone who carries a fully loaded revolver, or a Glock with a chambered round, can be at all squeamish about carrying a 1911 C&L. And yet, such creatures exist.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    One of the guys at the volunteer fire dept. has a cow about me and my 1911, different mindset I guess.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    But he thinks nothing of the Glock on the officers belt...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    I've got a P-64 Radom that I carry safety off, hammer down, double action first shot, and that drives him nuts too. Go figure.
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    the best way to drive someone really crazy is a trenchcoat and a "just barely legal length" shot gun, and call that concealed carry.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,696 Senior Member
    I carry my CCW, a .380 CZ-83, with an empty chamber. Have been schooled & trained to draw, chamber and aim all my life (Including one-hand scenarios; previous pistols were a Makarov, a Glock 17 and even a little Taurus PT-51. Also carried a S&W 10 and had no issues with a fully loaded cylinder) and I feel pretty comfortable with it. I know I could carry it in condition 1 but feel no need to do so.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    CA has the toughest gun laws in the book, including essentially impossible to obtain a carry permit.

Actually it's not impossible. It all depends where you live. A large metropolitan area forget it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Ask yourself, Is this the only stupid rule the Army has? Rest my case! :p Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • bansheebanshee Member Posts: 33 Member
    check out this video
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I would like to know where the rumor came from the Army doesn't carry with one in the chamber...The is not the Rule, but the Measure. The Army has different stages of weapon stages for different mission sets. Some of this has to do with the Rules of Engagement. Every Time Me or Mine left the Patrol Base...you can best bet there were rounds in chambers, and the bolt was to the rear on the crew serves. BUT even more to the point....you can't compare what the Army does with personal defense. It is not the same.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    :win:
  • gaddybaddygaddybaddy New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    I haven't been carrying my handgun for long (Kimber .45) but have always been reserved about carrying it loaded. I didn't even keep the clip in out of fear that it would somehow go off. My dad finally insisted that I would be fine as long as the safety was engaged. Now I just have to figure out how to accessorize it with my Coach purse.....
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
    Empty chamber = dead man click