Free at last...

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,731 Senior Member
The issue has been in question, for months, as to whether I would even get around to deer hunting this year. I resolved, a while back, that this was the year I would finish the home remodeling project that I started 12 years ago, as a DYI project. I resisted all the pleading by Mrs. Bisley to hire a contractor, because I knew that we could have much more if I did the work, myself. In the original plan, which I financed with a home equity loan, I added on about 1200 square feet to the little crackerbox house we raised our children in, including a new kitchen and living room, garage, dining room enlargement, and laundry room....before I ran out of money and energy. The rest, which included converting the old kitchen to a nice bathroom with walk-in shower and walk-in closet, has been on hold for years, and Mrs. Bisley finally got me to start it, a few months ago, using cash money and savings. When it became apparent that I wasn't going to get it done by the fall, which was the agreed upon deadline, I relented, and hired a pro to bail me out, in hopes that I could still salvage deer season. They finished it last week, freeing me from the promise I made to Mrs. Bisley that it would be done, or I would forgo hunting this year. She has been letting me 'crawfish' out of it every year, but I resolved that I would not take advantage of her generous nature any more, and actually deliver this year.

Now, I have one weekend to prepare for deer hunting, and no more vacation time to spare. I have done no hand loading for months, and practically no shooting, so I am out of the 'groove' I have been in, in which I have been well prepared and confident of success. Still, I do have the same spot where I bagged a nice 9 point, last year, and one weekend to battle the red wasps that have moved into my box blind and trim the high limbs that have encroached on my shooting lanes. I have five rounds left of the .30-06 hand loads that have been 100% one shot kills for me for three deer, so I should be good to go if I can confirm zero with a couple of shots. Just to be on the safe side, I've ordered a box of factory loads that I'm hoping will be close to my zero for the hand loads, and I will do a little practice with them, if time allows.

The main challenge, now, is for me to calm down and get back into that 'cold-blooded' state, in which I wait for a sure shot and make everything happen (more or less) the way I want it to happen. That's hard to do, when you haven't done any scouting and you're uncertain about the state of all your gear, but it's better than not hunting at all. The preparation is half of the fun, and I've pretty much missed that, but I'm still looking forward to opening day.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Enzo, there's a whole herd of Tennessee deer laughing and high-fiving about that yankee that never shows up to shoot at them! You gonna let 'em get away with it again this year?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I can come shoot some of them laughing deer if you want... LOL
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I never have the time to prepare anymore. Hunting for me is a mad dash through my "hunting closet" usually late the night before I get to go out. I always keep at least a few rifles sighted in with a supply of the ammo I sighted them in with at hand. I keep current by firing a pellet or .22 shorts rifles off hand in my basement "range" and the occasional trip to the actual range. At this point in my life I have learned to accept the fact that what I do is a really just a pleasurable hike with a gun and hopefully a friend in tow and that if I get to pull the trigger it's just a big bonus. This attitude saves me a lot of aggravation. :tooth:

:that: Nowadays it's like the last-minute cramming for a test......I'm just happy with pointing the Jeep at those big hilly thingies west of me and "get out of Denver baby go!" :tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    :that: Nowadays it's like the last-minute cramming for a test......I'm just happy with pointing the Jeep at those big hilly thingies west of me and "get out of Denver baby go!" :tooth:

I don't drive a jeep, nor do I live in the land of snow capped peaks. But that's a good analogy. I point the nose of my Dodge West towards what passes for mountains here. Go way out the forest roads. Coast to a silent stop and step out with the weapon du jour. Close the door quietly and start my Sneeky Peet routine. I go a little farther and make bigger circles every trip.
    I had my days in the sun of private land etc. But I'm enjoying this challenge. Takes me back to my younger days.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hey you think any of them might want to help try out a .375 Ruger? :tooth:

That one's not likely to be ready this season, but the Scooter has been sitting in the corner of the rack crying for two seasons now! Poor little guy's feeling abandoned!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Hey y'all, I think I broke my spell. Finally I'm gonna have a place to bloody most of these new toys I've bought and/or had built the last 4 years. I've bloodied my .250 Savage, my 8x57, and my 30-06 SPS on hogs so far this year back in May. But now the quarry will be mainly deer. If a hog sticks his head out, he's mine. This place is close enough that I can go hunt in the mornings or evenings without a lot of hassel. Just a 20 minute drive or so, and a short walk to a nice blind. And, I can drive right up to the blind or the feeder and pick the deer up, throw it in my 150 quart cooler and drive home and let my wife skin and quarter it.

This thread hit me right where in the head. And I feel like I've been freed too.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Man! This thread hits me square in the face this year. I can relate to being freed. I have been wanting a good deer lease for so long I can't stand it. And I have wanted one this close for many years.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    My problem is that I have been working on my house for 5 1/2 years. I would call in a professional contractor, but I am a professional contractor. I have got work coming out of my ears, and my crews are exhausted, so I have been working on it alone in the evenings. I used to have my guys pick away at it on slow weeks, but those just don't exist anymore. We are trying to get in there by Christmas. I have loads ready to test but no time to hit the range. Thanks to BP, I know I have some good loads and a rifle that is ready, but man...

I will be taking (at least) the first four days of deer season off-- period!

I feel your pain Bisley. Good luck to you!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ive shot that rifle more than he has.
    Maybe I should come down and kill a deer with it...

Does it hold more than five cartridges?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    The worst thing, for me, is wondering if the deer have even moved back in, after the wildfires last year. The river bottom caught on fire last year, during the drought, and burned right up to the bank of the creek my blind sets on. The buck I shot last year was still traveling through there, after the fires, but since that time, the dead timber has been harvested and bulldozed out. My spot is still wooded, but it is practically surrounded by freshly cleared land, so I know their bedding areas have probably changed. I'm actually covering only about 5-10 acres, so my only chance is to ambush one when he passes through.

I'm hoping that the big boys are still traveling along my creek to get to the river. There are plenty of the acorns they favor in my area, so my chances are good, but I haven't even had a chance to slink around and look for scrapes and tracks. Somebody stole my game camera last year, and I was hesitant to put another out, so the sum total of my scouting will take place after I crawl down from my blind, after the first morning. I'm going this morning to work on the blind and cut out my shooting lanes, but won't get to do any scouting because I have to get back for my grandsons' football games.

This ain't happening to me next year.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Does it hold more than five cartridges?

Yeah even my lowly .270 will probably kill an elephant in 5 shots....:tooth:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The worst thing, for me, is wondering if the deer have even moved back in, after the wildfires last year. The river bottom caught on fire last year, during the drought, and burned right up to the bank of the creek my blind sets on. The buck I shot last year was still traveling through there, after the fires, but since that time, the dead timber has been harvested and bulldozed out. My spot is still wooded, but it is practically surrounded by freshly cleared land, so I know their bedding areas have probably changed. I'm actually covering only about 5-10 acres, so my only chance is to ambush one when he passes through.

Well, my 3 hour hunting preparation did lay this question to rest, at least. I saw 5 deer, all within 150 yards, on the same old game trails near my blind, while killing wasps and trimming high limbs. I could only identify one as a spike buck, due to heavy shadow and no binoculars, but no mature buck would have shown himself, anyway, with my truck parked in plain sight, me thrashing around in the brush, and spraying insecticide inside the blind. If the does are there, there will likely be bucks hanging back around the edges. I have seen ample evidence that the bucks have split up and are trailing does, as they will do for a week or so, just before the 'rut.' So, opening weekend, or maybe the next one, could be good.

Now, all I have to do is get to the range and see if my rifle is still zeroed. With luck, one or two shots will satisfy me on that, and I'll still have a couple rounds to hunt with. If not, I'll have to go with factory loads.