Home Main Category Hunting

Some more antelope hunting

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberWyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
Joel let his son use his gun for an upcoming hunt, so when I asked Joel if he wanted to use my 6.5x47 Lapua with the Burris Eliminator on it he said, "Sure!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Y5ukAXB60&feature=my_favorites&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,077 Senior Member
    Good deal.

"The end."
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    tough old goat...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Was the first shot a miss? Looked like it hit to the left, behind him. I assume the second one connected, and that's why he was laying down before he got up the final time?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Was the first shot a miss? Looked like it hit to the left, behind him. I assume the second one connected, and that's why he was laying down before he got up the final time?

Actually it was the first shot that hit him. Shot went from outside of the throat on the left side (lopes right side) between the lungs bruising or causing some trama lightly on one lung, above the heart and exited the antelope's left hind quarter.
    Second shot missed.
    We wondered the same thing too, but the autopsy revealed the whole story.
    You should be able to see the vapor trail/trace on the first shot.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Yep. I see it now. What I thought was the bullet impacting the dirt just behind the 'lope was actually the vapor trail.

Good shooting.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Looking at your other youtube videos.....tell us more about Mac the Coyote.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    A friend of mine raised Mac from a pup (newborn)-100% coyote. Mac was several years old when I first saw him. He was not mean to people aggressively but only a small number of people could pet him. In other words, most knew to ignore him, but not to turn their back on him and walk away from him if they decided to walk within his chain range. If you were foolish enough to do that the back of foot or higher would get a hard bite-Not one that would draw blood, but enough to hurt.
    I could feed him out of my hand and even have the food in my hand and he would not bite or hurt me while trying to get the food out of my hand.
    He liked freeze pops, french fries, and most junk food.
    Basically, the only folks he would play with was my friend's immediate family. I was the exception to that rule, and there may have been a few others, but I am not aware of that. Mac could be very moody at times, especially if it was windy, people were around, or if folks parked nearby and left their vehicles running-especially diesels.
    He was always alert.
    He didn't like the color white. He was my buddy. Someone(s) one night shot him with a 22lr during the night. Went in one hind quarter and lodged in the other. He was on his chain, in front of a building, with overhead light. There was no mistaken shooting of coyote thought to be wild. His rear leg was amputated and he started to recover, but he wouldn't take the pain meds (hated the taste and would spit it out), even when mixed in meat. He would take his anti-biotic though. His only rear leg continued to hurt and then he began chewing on it. We tried everything for him not to do that to no avail. A couple of days later my friend called me, and brought my 22 out. we spent several hours sitting on each side of Mac. After some time Mac kept hurting more and tried to walk-He liked walking through tall grass. He got to where he could hardly stand and I went and got the 22. He was put down in the midst of being loved and talked to. His body was put up on a high ridge to overlook his home.
    Just writing this I am filled with emotion. As I was walking to my vehicle to get the handgun I started crying and said, "I can't believe I am crying over a coyote."
    But he was no ordinary coyote, we were buds. He didn't love me like a dog would, but like a coyote, because that is what he was.
    During this period of time several cattle were shot and high-line insulators shot. At this time, we still don't know who did this. I am sort of glad, because there are some folks who are quite upset about it. I hope they are found and brought to justice though.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Thank You Ernie. :up:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!