Remington 700 stock suggestions

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,584 Senior Member
I'm thinking of picking up a Remington 700 varmint on sale a at Dicks Sporting Goods. It comes with a mossy oak stock and I'm not a fan, but the price is good enough that it's worth it just for the barreled action. This will be primarily a bench/target gun so weight really isn't an issue. This is sort of an out of the blue possible purchase so I haven't put much thought into it, but I've been considering replacing my Tika M595 with a heavier barreled rifle for a while (the rifle is great, but I struggle to shoot it well because it is so light). It looks like there are hundreds of options available for the 700, but my primary concern is accuracy. In general I like the look and feel of a nice laminated wood stock, but I'm open to something that makes it looks like an "evil black sniper rifle".
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    What model is it ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Ok, it is a Remington 700 ADL.

Great price.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Plastic - B&C Medalist
    Lam - Accurate Innovations (the only lam stock with a full alum. bedding block, like the Medalist)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Ok, it is a Remington 700 ADL.

Great price.

I take it that matters for stocks?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Sort of.....a Remington ADL stock is for a blind magazine (solid bottom).....the BDL should have a cut-out for a floor plate. Looking at Tikka M595.....it's showing an extending magazine....does your rifle have that?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Yeah my Tika has one extended 5 rd and one flush 3 rd magazine. Really like the detachable magazine actually. Know there are some conversions for remington, but seem a bit pricey.
    -DoctorWho
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,041 Senior Member
    I'd get one with an aluminum bedding block, if I wanted to change the stock. But first, I'd shoot it to see if it needs restocking. Doing away with the J-bolt spring is a good idea, and replacing the trigger.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    What magazine conversion do you have on that rifle?
    -DoctorWho
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,943 Senior Member
    For the bench/prone and only bench/prone: McMillan A5 with solid, thumbwheel cheekpiece (not the saddle type shown on their website)

For the bench and also the real world: McMillan M40A1 HTG with thumbwheel cheekpiece.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    I'm thinking of picking up a Remington 700 varmint on sale a at Dicks Sporting Goods. It comes with a mossy oak stock and I'm not a fan, but the price is good enough that it's worth it just for the barreled action. This will be primarily a bench/target gun so weight really isn't an issue. This is sort of an out of the blue possible purchase so I haven't put much thought into it, but I've been considering replacing my Tika M595 with a heavier barreled rifle for a while (the rifle is great, but I struggle to shoot it well because it is so light). It looks like there are hundreds of options available for the 700, but my primary concern is accuracy. In general I like the look and feel of a nice laminated wood stock, but I'm open to something that makes it looks like an "evil black sniper rifle".

I currently have two 700s. One is a 22-250 Rem. 700 ADL Sythetic. Very accurate with good loads. Also, I have a 30-06 SPS that shoots good too. I had the triggers reworked and I bedded the recoil lugs on both. If I was to restock either it would either be with one of the B&C model stocks or if I wanted a wood laminate the Boyd Pepper Laminate, which I have on one of my Mauser sporters. I finished it according to Boyd's suggested procedure with Polyurethane. It came out great and it was very easy. Both these rifles will shoot under an inch at a hundred yards. In the hands of someone steadier than me, the 22-250 is no doubt a .25 MOA rifle. The 30-06 is a great hunter. With my 200 grain Sierra Game King load at 2650-2700 FPS it will shoot great groups and will make one shot kills on hogs at well over 100 yards.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • bansheebanshee Member Posts: 33 Member
    I have an AICS on my Remington 700. Great stock.

AICSpistolgrip800x.jpg
    banshee wrote: »
    I have an AICS on my Remington 700. Great stock.

AICSpistolgrip800x.jpg

Aren't those like $800-1000? AI makes great stuff, but a bit above my budget for this.
    -DoctorWho
  • bansheebanshee Member Posts: 33 Member
    Aren't those like $800-1000? AI makes great stuff, but a bit above my budget for this.

Around $800, but it's not that bad if you start adding up the cost of a lot the other stocks by the time you buy the stock, good bottom metal and pay someone to bed and maybe paint everything.
    banshee wrote: »
    Around $800, but it's not that bad if you start adding up the cost of a lot the other stocks by the time you buy the stock, good bottom metal and pay someone to bed and maybe paint everything.

I can buy a B&C anything and it will do about anything I can imagine for a forth that price. And why pay somone to bed and paint it? For one thing, unless you just happen to be like Zee and love a speckle paint job, B&Cs don't Require painting. I think the B&C Medelist has a bedding block. All I would do to it would be bed a thin area to insure perfect fit. That's not missle surgery!!! So yes, to many of us, $800 is a bit abusive on the budget.

All that and those AIs are Ugly as sin! Unless you're into the "FLASH GORDON" look.
    Also Alph, here's a pic of my Mauser in a Pepper Laminate Boyd's Classic. Boyds also has other designs in the Pepper Laminate.

100_0199-1.jpg

Ignore the coins wedged in the forend. I didn't get it quite straight when i bedded it and it was almost touching the barrel on the right side so I thought I'd try to move it. That's hard to do with a laminated piece of wood, but after about three months of the quarters wedged between barrel and forend it did warp it the way I wanted. It's a close fit but it definitely doesn't touch anymore. This rilfe shoots remarkably well for having a 65 + year old mil surp barrel. All I had done was the bolt bent, drilled and tapped for scope, Timney Trigger and Beuler safety installed, new aftermarket firing pin spring installed to quicken lock time, which all cost me right at $243. Oh yeah, that price included removing the rear sight. All that and about $90 for the stock delivered to my door. I finished the stock and bedded the recoil lug and first two and a half or so inches of barrel. The Scope's a Vortex Diamond Back 4-12x40 in Leupold Dovetail-Windage Screw Rings and corresponding base mount. Anyway, like I said, Boyd's has a couple more configurations of stocks in the Laminates.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    I can buy a B&C anything and it will do about anything I can imagine for a forth that price. And why pay somone to bed and paint it? For one thing, unless you just happen to be like Zee and love a speckle paint job, B&Cs don't Require painting. I think the B&C Medelist has a bedding block. All I would do to it would be bed a thin area to insure perfect fit. That's not missle surgery!!! So yes, to many of us, $800 is a bit abusive on the budget.

All that and those AIs are Ugly as sin! Unless you're into the "FLASH GORDON" look.

The Medalist comes with the option of pillars or a full length bedding block, depending on the model. They also come in black or with one of their web paint schemes. Even production camo patterns (yuck).

Why is the AICS such a great and expensive stock? Well, it doesn't have a bedding block. The ENTIRE chassis system IS the block! From stem to stern is one solid piece of aluminum (except the folding model which had an aluminum hinge). Talk about solid? That, it would be. The exterior portion you see are the plastic 'skins'. All they are is a cosmetic outer shell that comes in several colors. You can actually shoot the stock without them.

Is it worth the extra price? Not for the average user, no. But, there is no question that there are advantages to the stock. Just have to decide if you need those advantages.

Oh, as to bedding? EVERYTHING on the action gets bedded. NOT just the recoil lug! If the action drops in........it's too loose. The action screws should have to PULL the action into the stock. Otherwise, there is too much play. Every stock gets bedded. No matter the maker.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Just got back from Dick's looking at the rifle. I talked to the guy at the gun counter and he mentioned that these things will be on sale at least every other week through Christmas so not much of a hurry. I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the 700 action. For some reason every stock 700 that i've played with doesn't seem to have a very smooth action. I know this isn't much of a big deal, but compared to my tika or the savage they had next to it there was a significant difference. May be better over time or with a round in the magazine though.

I still have to figure out if this is what I want. The price is great on the rifle, but once I factor in stock and bottom metal (or detachable mag system) plus I'm sure that I'll eventually want to switch out the trigger, rings, scope, etc. This "cheap" rifle will turn into quite the project. I had had my eye out for a decent price on a Savage 10 FCP or CZ 550 varmint before I saw this (Also like the Tika Master Sport or T3 Sporter but $$$) and also interested in a semi-auto .308 of some kind (AR10 or M1A) so probably going to hold off for now.
    -DoctorWho
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Speaking of Rem. 700 stocks, anyone know when Rem. stopped using the 4 screw butt plate? My 1984 Rem. 700 has a 4 screw butt plate and I have not seen this for many years now....At a LGS the other day I bought a Rem.700 recoil pad but of course it won't fit with out sawing a little off the stock, but I said "No way" I'll just use it on something else....Just wondering...
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,943 Senior Member
    Alpha - it sounds like you're planning to play "lets build a sniper rifle".

First bit of advice - start by swallowing this bitter reality pill: PRECISION RIFLES DON'T COME CHEAP. Once you burn that in, it's easier to accept that it might be the end-product of a couple of years, and you ultimately end up with what you WANT rather than what you SETTLE FOR. It's a difficult (or at least expensive) game to play if you're after instant gratification.

As to smoothness of 700's - they just take a little run-in time, which is easily accomplished with a little grease and an evening or two practicing bolt technique and dry-fire in front of the TV. What you get is a faster lock time than just about anything else, and more aftermarket options than for anything else. They're a little slicker if you start with a blued one instead of matte, but again - dry-fire at the TV.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    While there's nothing cool or tacti-cool about it, the factory Remington laminated stock (as in on their VLS rifles) is no slouch. Heavy, sure, but you did say bench gun.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    While there's nothing cool or tacti-cool about it, the factory Remington laminated stock (as in on their VLS rifles) is no slouch. Heavy, sure, but you did say bench gun.

Mike

Actually I really like the VLS. Have looked at a couple, but they've either been in a caliber I wasn't interested in or more than I wanted to spend at the time.
    -DoctorWho
    Bigslug wrote: »
    For the bench/prone and only bench/prone: McMillan A5 with solid, thumbwheel cheekpiece (not the saddle type shown on their website)

For the bench and also the real world: McMillan M40A1 HTG with thumbwheel cheekpiece.

:that:
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike

Is it too heavy for a designated marksman rifle, ie LE use ?
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Alpha - it sounds like you're planning to play "lets build a sniper rifle".

First bit of advice - start by swallowing this bitter reality pill: PRECISION RIFLES DON'T COME CHEAP.

That's pretty much the decision I'm struggling with. If I decide to go that route this rifle looks like a great starting barreled action, but not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge or just want to go for a solid, heavy barreled varmint rifle from a reputable manufacturer and be done with it.
    -DoctorWho
    Sometimes I have no idea what people are talking about when they discuss rifles and accuracy and hitting a target, but you don't necessarily need a heavy rifle or a so called "Sniper rifle" to hit a target accurately and at longer ranges, today I was looking at some rifles at Dick's sporting goods, and they had some Remington 700 BDL rifles that looked pretty good, and I am sure that I could do some pretty accurate shooting from 300 to 400 meters prone offhand.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Just got back from Dick's looking at the rifle. I talked to the guy at the gun counter and he mentioned that these things will be on sale at least every other week through Christmas so not much of a hurry. I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the 700 action. For some reason every stock 700 that i've played with doesn't seem to have a very smooth action. I know this isn't much of a big deal, but compared to my tika or the savage they had next to it there was a significant difference. May be better over time or with a round in the magazine though.

I still have to figure out if this is what I want. The price is great on the rifle, but once I factor in stock and bottom metal (or detachable mag system) plus I'm sure that I'll eventually want to switch out the trigger, rings, scope, etc. This "cheap" rifle will turn into quite the project. I had had my eye out for a decent price on a Savage 10 FCP or CZ 550 varmint before I saw this (Also like the Tika Master Sport or T3 Sporter but $$$) and also interested in a semi-auto .308 of some kind (AR10 or M1A) so probably going to hold off for now.

Think of it this way Alpha:

Yes, you will end up spending a lot of money making that rifle "just right." However, you don't have to do it all right now, and you can shoot the thing right now! Seriously, that's a project that you can easily take piece by piece, and unlike a barreled action you can shoot it pretty much throughout the entire process.

Just saying :devil:
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Sometimes I have no idea what people are talking about when they discuss rifles and accuracy and hitting a target, but you don't necessarily need a heavy rifle or a so called "Sniper rifle" to hit a target accurately and at longer ranges, today I was looking at some rifles at Dick's sporting goods, and they had some Remington 700 BDL rifles that looked pretty good, and I am sure that I could do some pretty accurate shooting from 300 to 400 meters prone offhand.

For me at least there are 2 major benefits to a heavier rifle.

1) it's easier to stabilize and hold on target

2) heavier barrels tend to do better over sustained firing (less change in POI as the barrel heats up)

If your goal is hunting where you're mostly concerned with a single shot from an improvised rest or off-hand position then light weight can be a good thing and a light rifle can be just as accurate for the first few shots from a cold barrel. The tika I have would make a great hunting rifle, the problem is I don't hunt.
    -DoctorWho
    Think of it this way Alpha:

Yes, you will end up spending a lot of money making that rifle "just right." However, you don't have to do it all right now, and you can shoot the thing right now! Seriously, that's a project that you can easily take piece by piece, and unlike a barreled action you can shoot it pretty much throughout the entire process.

Just saying :devil:

:that: This is the beauty of such a project as this. you need just add on and tweak as you wish, Shoot as you wish, Enjoy as you go!!!

Alph, be careful of what you invision as smooth. Some seem smooth because of some part pressing against the bolt, as in the old Model 70s and Mausers. Don't get me wrong, I love both these actions, but just because the 700 doesn't have a claw extractor pushing the bolt against the lug ways, doesn't mean it isn't smooth. When it's got ammo in it, it smoothes out and also it's very strong and rigid. It is as inherently accurate as is made. And don't fall for that line about the extractor not being strong. They used to be smaller and they did occasionally have issues, but back in the 80s Remington enlarged and strengthened the extractor and in all but a dangerous game situation I would have no fears of a 700 letting me down. The one weak spot I know of with 700s was their trigger. But now the new X-Pro second generation triggers don't have that floating piece between the hammer and sear. They are much more reliable. And if you don't like the stock trigger, get a Timney for it. The 700 just has so much going for it that many people don't realize. Simple-Rigid-Strong-Smooth!!!

And "NO" I don't work for Remington. Just a loyal fan.