Home Main Category Clubhouse

There went the Camp Perry cash

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberWestern PAPosts: 8,233 Senior Member
I gotta stop, its like an addiction canoes canoes everywhere....

When I started looking and found the 17' Grumman Eagle,
canoeA.jpg

I was looking for a Old Town 169 Discovery http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreation/discovery_169/ used for a decent price. Everything I looked at was priced closer to new than I was willing to go. Found the Grumman for 250 and jumped in. Did a canoe trip with the scouts and we were hurting to find canoes that had launch permits (needed to use fish commission and state launches 18 bucks/ 2 years) so I saw the beater 15 foot aluminum that I posted about.
B.jpg
It leaked a little so the son and I tightened some rivets and I sealed it with Rustoleum spray rubber sealer and painted it. Worth every bit of the 150 I have in it. Took it off the saw horses tonight and came upstairs and punched Old Town Canoe into fleabay. Guess what, a Discovery 169 2 years old, 1 hour away, 400 bucks min bid so I said "What the heck, I can always use the camp perry cash, someone will bid that up, its a 1000$ canoe".

As of about 10 min ago I own 3 canoes.

oldtown.jpg

Do you think it will fit in the back of the gun safe??
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,233 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    you need a kayak.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I always liked canoes, but, as I got older they had to go; it took too
    long to get anywhere.

But, you have posted some nice canoe pic's and use posts.

I like that Grumman; but, then I would because I had a pioneer and
    they were similar.
    I like the old Grumman to and it will outlast the Old Town and me and my kids if it is not abused. The beater looks to be a Sears, don't know who made it for them but I saw its brother on craigslist in the center of the country. I am probably going to sel lthat one in the spring after the 100+ mile trip. The Old town is what I was looking for because it isnt a flat bottom, its long, has no keel and can haul a 1/2 ton + (1100lbs). That means that for tripping I can maintain decent speed (round bottom and long), turn decently (no keel), and haul whatever I need + whatever I want.

I am getting into the fact that they take to long to get anywhere because when I get in one, I seem to be where I want to be, and as a bonus, the Allegehenny river is mostly surrounded by steep hills, means no cell phone reception. Not like I check when I am out anyway, but its nice to know that it won't work most of the time.

My desktop pic

canoe2.jpg
  • BakermanBakerman Member FloridaPosts: 382 Member
    Why not......But you have three canoes with the same capabilities and purpose. How about one for freestyle? How about one for fast cruise? Sounds too like you got the good price.

With me things get a little off sometimes. I ordered stuff for my next kayak build, a seakayak, fast recreational. Then took the truck in to get tires................shocks....brakes...... It all made my house payment look like a good deal.

Either way I think we both need a good "paddling". Get out there....
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    With all those canoes, it looks like you are getting into a new sport...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofq_nl366VM
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I was shooting for 2 tripping canoes. I wanted to start with the OT, however when a dang near perfect Grumman is there for 250, you take the Grumman. I was good to go with that, until we had a trip and were short 1/2 decent boats, and the Sears came along, with a little work and a buck or 2 it will now be fine for a couple scouts and I figured that I could take the family downriver and if the HMFIC liked it I could get a OT and ditch the Sears. Well, the OT came first.

Jerm, I wish I was that good
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jerm, I wish I was that good
    He is good alright, the issue is that when you do it choreographed to "Lady in Red", your Man Card eligibility is questioned.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Unless you were on a date with flowers and wine, then the man card should get a stamp by the end of the evening.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Aw what's a little rifle competition compared to having your own naval flotilla eh?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    OH OH, do I get to be the Commodore?? With the big hat??
    They're YOUR boats....why not! But does a 10 yr old boy scout make for an adequate gun mount?

Of course, with a Grumman you gotta name it VSS Hellcat! :tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    He was good at 12, better at 14.

Wildcat or Martlet - F4F

Or Prowler since I worked in the things long enough, ought to play in one.
    Oh! a Mark XIV series....excellent upgrade! More propulsion and firepower capable......nice! Prowler sounds the best.

Neighbor of mine got hold of a Grumman canoe.....just cause it was made by Grumman....he was a Repo-man, so he came up with all sorts of cool stuff. So he see's my roommate and I driving golf balls on the shore and into the lake we all lived on....We get this crazy idea......Roomie's driving at us from shore.....Dave and I in the canoe firing back at the shore battery! :tooth: Gotta say....that canoe was pretty stable to take a swing from! What else does one expect from a couple of E-6s and a civilian with a boat, eh!?