Home Main Category Personal Defense

Need a pepper spray recommendation

FL180FL180 MemberPosts: 58 Member
Ok so here's the deal. My wife recently started jogging and goes on runs after work with some co-workers. I'm glad she runs with a group, but they are of different skill level so they end up separated after a while and they end up running by themselves for a portion of the run. Now I would love to be able to just have her carry but that isn't even an option for her. One, because we live in Illinois, and two, even if ccw was allowed in Illinois, I don't think I could convince her to carry. I'm still trying to convince her to go to the range with me! Anyway, I want to get her some pepper spray to carry on her runs. I've looked at some reviews on the Mace brand you can buy from sporting goods stores and they are mixed reviews at best. Who knows what kind of back ground those people giving reviews have or if they are even qualified to give an accurate review on that type of product. So I figured I would ask you guys/gals here that might have an LEO or self defense back ground. I need something small that can be carried in your hand, easy to use and effective.

What can you recommend???

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Forget the wimp stuff intended for people- - - -get a BIG canister of bear spray, and a holster she can use to carry it comfortably. A can of wasp and hornet spray that shoots a stream several feet is another good alternative. Who cares if the scumbag can wash it off without any injuries? Hose him down with it, then flick a BIC lighter for the second shot- - - - -makes a good flamethrower, too!
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    FL180 wrote: »
    Ok so here's the deal. My wife recently started jogging and goes on runs after work with some co-workers. I'm glad she runs with a group, but they are of different skill level so they end up separated after a while and they end up running by themselves for a portion of the run. Now I would love to be able to just have her carry but that isn't even an option for her. One, because we live in Illinois, and two, even if ccw was allowed in Illinois, I don't think I could convince her to carry. I'm still trying to convince her to go to the range with me! Anyway, I want to get her some pepper spray to carry on her runs. I've looked at some reviews on the Mace brand you can buy from sporting goods stores and they are mixed reviews at best. Who knows what kind of back ground those people giving reviews have or if they are even qualified to give an accurate review on that type of product. So I figured I would ask you guys/gals here that might have an LEO or self defense back ground. I need something small that can be carried in your hand, easy to use and effective.

As a LEO, I got really turned off to CN and other LE strength sprays, in training they only made Me angry, they did not have much effect on Me, I am really into hot spicy food and they say you build up a resistance.

The first and last time I used a spray, I sprayed Myself when the wind turned and the suspect almost got away, so I don't like the stuff.

If CCW is not an option, and ASP and unarmed personal defense training is a much better option.

And if a spray is an only option, forget small !! you need a large device that can flood a face with huge amounts of liquid chemical, as bad aim and wind and dissipation effects can really limit the amount of chemical that can effectively reach a target.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    What are the expert's thoughts on the Kimber Pepperblaster?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    What are the expert's thoughts on the Kimber Pepperblaster?

Negative!

Watch their own advertisement. At 10-12 feet (not 5m), the guy misses the first shot at a static target in a contolled enviroment. Almost misses the second shot, and............................ your out of shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkEFhPsrfvU

If their hand picked shooter can't hit two shots at way to close of range to be with a BG, I don't want my wife trying to hit a moving target in the dark....

Better to have a stream you can see and correct.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    A few decades ago I worked for a farm impliment dealer and we did alot of work out at the farms. A squirt of ether at the dog that wouldn't let me out of a truck did wonders. I'm sure it'd work on humans too.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    Yeah, and you can blind someone permanently too that way, Law suit anyone ???

That is the rub with less than lethal options, too many problems, if you need to defend yourself, chances are good you should have a lethal option open to you.

BTW ammonia works better with dogs.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Cold Steel markets one that alpears to be good. It leaves a slimy orange goo on the attacker.

Did you see the video where Lynn Thompson had someone spray him with it? Seemed to work well but it took awhile to have an effect. Here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3e345mjW8A
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Yeah, and you can blind someone permanently too that way, Law suit anyone ??? That is the rub with less than lethal options, too many problems, if you need to f=defend yourself, chances are good you should have a lethal option open to you.

BTW ammonia works better with dogs.

Well, as already stated, a 'lethal' option ain't an option at all as even if CCW were legal in Illinois (it isn't) His wife likely wouldn't carry anyhow. Secondly, It doesn't sound like she 'needs to defend herself', (as in taking a jog through Watts or Caprini Green might require) but might possibly need to defend herself...he'd like her to be able to do so in that situation. Third, I can't imgine a situation where I would care if some skel ends up blind due to a critical mistake in the victim selection process. I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. At that point, I'm thinking "Cry me a river through your dry, shriveled eyes"....just sayin'.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • FL180FL180 Member Posts: 58 Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Well, as already stated, a 'lethal' option ain't an option at all as even if CCW were legal in Illinois (it isn't) His wife likely wouldn't carry anyhow. Secondly, It doesn't sound like she 'needs to defend herself', (as in taking a jog through Watts or Caprini Green might require) but might possibly need to defend herself...he'd like her to be able to do so in that situation. Third, I can't imgine a situation where I would care if some skel ends up blind due to a critical mistake in the victim selection process. I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. At that point, I'm thinking "Cry me a river through your dry, shriveled eyes"....just sayin'.

Coolgunguy, you are correct. My wife will not be running in a "bad" neighborhood like Cabrini Green. She runs after work in a very nice area that I would generally consider safe or around our house which I would also consider safe. I know that just because somewhere feels safe doesn't mean that bad things can't happen. I'm well aware that an attack can happen anywhere. Some places might have a higher risk than others, but its possible anywhere. This is why I want to get her pepper spray. Carrying a fire arm is not a legal option for her and even if it was I am 99.999% sure she wouldn't carry. Using an asp or personal defense training takes lots of practice to use effectively in my opinion. I've gone through a week long, very intense class on self defense taught by highly qualified individuals and I learned a lot. However, I didn't continue to train and I eventually lost the skills I learned. In my opinion the best option for our situation is to carry pepper spray. It doesn't require much training, it can be used at a distance and the other options of using an asp/baton or personal defense training just aren't practical for her right now.

I've looked into the Cold Steel Inferno spray that was mentioned and it looks pretty good. I think I may order a couple of those. Thank you all for all of your input, it is appreciated!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Look into the types of aerosol self-defense sprays that shoot a stream of sticky foam, not a mist that can be blown back toward the shooter. Most of them also contain a visible dye that will withstand several vigorous washings and another one that shows up under UV light to help identify the bad guy later. Personally, I would prefer pointing to the body on the ground for ID purposes- - - -"That's the guy who attacked me!"
    Jerry
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I am a retired career LEO, and like Dr Who, I don't like pepper spray. First, it is nearly impossible to use it without getting exposed yourself, and the more often you are exposed, the less effect it has on you, and it dosen't work on everyone, especially if they ae high on drugs. Convince her to get, and practice with a firearm. Several brands offer guns constructed of titanium that don't weigh much; ie, I have a 2" model 85 Taurus, and the bullets weigh more than the gun. Recoil with such a light gun is substantial, but, I promise you that ,if she has to use it, in a serious social incident, she will never remember the recoil......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    You guys advising a gun did notice they're in Illinois, right? The one state in the union that doesn't allow concealed carry of a loaded firearm. She's have to carry it unloaded, mag out, and load it prior to use.
    Overkill is underrated.
    The voice of wisdom ! :agree:
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hose him down with it, then flick a BIC lighter for the second shot- - - - -makes a good flamethrower, too!
    Jerry
    :yikes:............ I like it....very medieval..........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    The best advice I have on pepper spray is - always keep in mind it is a NON-LETHAL option. Keep eyes open for escape routes and be aware of who and what is around you.

Legally, know your state/local restrictions on pepper spray - here in Indiana it's user's choice, but in my former stomping grounds in Michigan there were/are regulations on size (2 oz. or less) and concentration (2% or less) on civilian-legal pepper spray. Illinois very well may have such regulations in place.
  • glockman0422glockman0422 Member Posts: 216 Member
    FL180 wrote: »

I just graduated from the police academy so I have recent experience with oc spray. although it was not a pleasant experience I was still able to run thru an obstacle course and perform several tasks. I would suggest looking into a taser device. Taser int. offers a civilian model that packs quite a punch. once deployed it shocks for 20 seconds opposed to the regular 5 for police models. is meant to be deployed and run away. they say that if used in a defensive situation they will replace it free of charge. its not cheap but I think it would work better that oc spray. just my 2 cents. hope this helps.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    I like the Spitfire pepper spray now produced by Sabre. I think the controls are more ergonomic and you can get training and replacement canisters for them.

http://www.sabrered.com/spitfire/

As others have said, pepper spray is not a guarantee. Lots of variables. But living in Ill, it is probably the best thing unless she wants to run with a guidon. :jester:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Most female attacks happen from behind and include being overpowered by a male at close range (bear hug from the back) and abducted (my biggest nightmare). Pepper spray is useless in that scenario. If my females are not armed with guns they carry Kershaw Leeks (see below) in their hands averywhere there is ANY chance of being attacked. The knife is small and light enough to keep in your hand unnoticed all the time and comes in cool colors, though my girls picked black :tooth:. With assisted opening it is available in a flash, one handed opening, and it is wicked sharp. They have been taught to start stabbing and slashing at anything good (eyes, groin, arms etc) and run and scream at the top of their lungs. Add to that a piercing lightweight whistle and a cell phone and you have a nifty little package that never has to stay home.

Kershaw-Knives-Leek.jpg

Best option after a gun!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    I just graduated from the police academy so I have recent experience with oc spray. although it was not a pleasant experience I was still able to run thru an obstacle course and perform several tasks. I would suggest looking into a taser device. Taser int. offers a civilian model that packs quite a punch. once deployed it shocks for 20 seconds opposed to the regular 5 for police models. is meant to be deployed and run away. they say that if used in a defensive situation they will replace it free of charge. its not cheap but I think it would work better that oc spray. just my 2 cents. hope this helps.

You just reminded Me of an incident, years ago, a Sergeant at a range / live fire exercise was demonstrating OC to some troops, and due to whatever reason, (apologies accepted) I caught a full dose of OC full strength LE formula, right to the face, eyes and nose !

It was a medium sized non civilian for sale to LE ONLY labeled version, The canister was around the size of a shaving cream container, and all it did make Me angry, it did not incapacitate Me, I could still breath, and I could have performed a wide variety of tasks including pushing a car or even attacking someone if I had been a bad guy on a rampage.

I just don't buy into the idea that the various chemical agents work on everyone, much less the tiny belt sized watered down civilian legal dispensers aimed at the female civilian market, I honestly believe the false faith placed in these devices based on marketing hype and gun store anecdotes could very well wind up getting someone killed.

It is important to weigh and carefully consider all these matters and perhaps consider ( drastic action) or look into / research moving to a shall issue State if need be, a good example being when your neighborhood becomes a haven for drug dealers.

That happened to Me in Southern Maryland, I decided to move after an attempted home invasion.

The consequences of Half measures and ill conceived solutions can sometimes be worse.