Red Dots that can handle 12ga recoil?

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
Is anyone using a red dot on a shotgun? Last week I bought a Truglo Tru Brite to use on my Remington 870 12ga for deer hunting.

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

I had it set on the small red dot for sighting in and got through a dozen shells before it died. Checked all four red reticles and they were dead but the green reticles were still working.
I really liked the small size, simplicity, design and reticle options on this one. And the price wasn't bad. I could return it and try another one but I'm skeptical now. Any suggestions for one that will hold up without being Eotech price range? Not that I wouldn't love to have one, but at 5x times what I paid for this- ouch.

Edit- I did see the Triton sight next to it on the red dot page, http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT , but the pic of it on a shotgun at the bottom looks like the reticle dial would be too much in the line of sight, like it would be distracting.

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Burris Fast Fire. That is what you're looking for.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    :agree: Especially like the one that slips inbetween the stock and receiver.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    I checked them out on Midway. The Fastfire III seems to be a nice improvement over the II- 3 brightness settings, low battery indicator, cover and don't have to remove the sight to change batteries. Looks like the Speed Bead version with the mount 5280 shooter mentioned is either an original or model II. They definately seem nice with really good reviews but are also about 3 times the cost of the Truglo. I'm tempted but need to keep checking options.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Take a fools advice. You get what you pay for. Just like that true glow.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Sir George, what version of the Fast Fire do you have? I'd like one with the mount 5280 mentioned if it's available with the FFIII. I'm sure the FFII is good but the improvements in the III seem worthwhile.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Take a fools advice. You get what you pay for. Just like that true glow.

THIS

Sights - the primary devices that allow you to hit your target - aren't where you want to save your money. Same goes for the bases that attach them. For a red-dot, I like Aimpoints. They're durable and the battery life on certain current models is such that you can just turn them on, leave them on, and forget them. Personally, though, I'd be more for a low power variable scope with a light up reticle that doesn't render you totally dependent on batteries.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,452 Senior Member
    Aimpoint.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,309 Senior Member
    Burris Fast Fire. That is what you're looking for.

Yup. Or the Bushnel TRS-25

EDIT:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593456/bushnell-trophy-trs-25-red-dot-sight-1x-25mm-3-moa-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-mount-matte

I have the TRS-25 on my saiga, and it has put up with bump-firing of a 20 round drum with alternating slugs and buckshot. It gets flat out HAMMERED on that thing, and has never once stuttered. Plus, it is the only sight I have ever mounted on a gun that was actually dead on when I put it on. That seemed kinda special for me.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    While I appreciate the quality of Aimpoints, and Trijicons and Eotechs etc, they are out of my price range. Which is why I bought the $100 or so Truglo to begin with. I can spend more but the cost of the Fastfire is about the upper limit. One feature I really liked on the Truglo was having red and green dots, sometimes one stands out more than the other. I'm having a hard time finding that in other brands. I guess that option might be less important on a better quality sight where the dot shows better in all conditions though.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,309 Senior Member
    Vortex makes one with red and green dots. I know a few people that have them on ARs, but I have no idea what it would do on a 12Ga.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719427/vortex-strikefire-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-4-moa-red-and-green-dot-with-extra-high-weaver-style-ring-matte
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,247 Senior Member
    I have bot the red-only and red-green StrikeFires, and the red-only is noticeably brighter outdoors. If you choose this unit, go with the red-only.

They're tough little sights for an affordable price; I know several guys on AR forums that did some T&E on them and were impressed.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    I have a Millet red dot on my .44 mag Super Blckhawk that is handeling the recoil without any problems.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    I have a Burris Fast-Fire mounted on a 20 gauge 870 that is set up for sabot slugs. Firing slugs out of that gun has more recoil than shooting high brass 12 gauge out of my Stoeger M-2000. It has stayed zeroed through about 20-30 rounds, so I think it's gonna be OK.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Cheapest one that will "work' are the Millet's, close to a $100, brother has one on his 12 gauge, which is not a gun that gets shot a lot and never for hunting, it is a range, home defense deal but so far (3 years) it is still going strong.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".